Kindle Forum banner

What do you feel is good value for money?

• 5k words

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 10k words

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 20k words

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50k words

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 100k words

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Do not buy anything at 99c

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I realise a lot of people (including myself in the future) release full novels at 99c, there are obviously shorter works at this same price point. I'm curious - what do you consider as value for money at a dollar - do you buy single short stories for 99c? Do you have a problem tossing down a dollar on a 10k novella? Or do you hunt for longer works at this price?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wish there was a choice between 10k and 50k. In general, I prefer a physical book to be 60-80k, no matter what the price. For e-reading, I prefer it to be a little shorter, but still over 10k so that there is time for some depth to be developed.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I write short stories, so maybe I am biased, because I buy single short stories from 4,000 words up for 99c.

I am not sure how others will answer as I have just uploaded 10 thriller/mystery murder short stories varying from 5000 to 6500 words at 99c each and have not yet made a sale, but I know at least one other author who has sold 200 of his 4,000 word story over a six week period. I also have a 100,000 word thriller Survival Instinct at 99c

I would contend that anything over 4,000 words it is possible to have depth, plot and developed characterization.

I have to admit I will be watching this post with interest.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I can appreciate what you are asking here, but I was thinking if you should maybe have added a button for those who would not buy anything at 99c.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I realise a lot of people (including myself in the future) release full novels at 99c, there are obviously shorter works at this same price point. I'm curious - what do you consider as value for money at a dollar - do you buy single short stories for 99c? Do you have a problem tossing down a dollar on a 10k novella? Or do you hunt for longer works at this price?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies - I didn't even think (I rarely venture outside of the Writer's Cafe). I've remade the poll over there, and added both a 20k option, and a "no 99c" option.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
no need to apologize. and another note, you might want to change your choices, since many readers do not think in terms of word counts, but in terms of pages or kindle locations.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I released a TRUE paranormal short story this week, it has 5000 words but I've added the first chapter of each of my thrillers too and I've sold quite a few copies already.

I'm not sure I would pay 99cents for a fictional 5000 word story though.

I have a collection of short stories I intend uploading in a few weeks also for 99 cents. ;)

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I released a TRUE paranormal short story this week, it has 5000 words but I've added the first chapter of each of my thrillers too and I've sold quite a few copies already.

I have a collection of short stories I intend uploading in a few weeks also for 99 cents. ;)

(I put this in the other thread too) ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I chose 5000 words because 3000 was not a choice. I buy short stories, quite often, for .99 cents.

I have long believed that fiction writers charge less than they should for most of their work. I am a firm believer that if the reader is truly interested in the cover, the product description and the sample then they will pay a fair price for it (more than .99 cents). I believe the caveat is that the market can't be over-saturated with equally good products that are under priced.

I don't know about other people, but when a book excites me I will buy it if it is 'appropriately' priced. Ninenty-nine cents is great when you can sell tens of thousands of copies but if you are selling hundreds, not so much. I think authors need to have more faith in their books. They can always lower the price if their book doesn't sell well.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm not much of a short story reader, even if it's in a collection, so my response may be moot... but I am looking for a full length novel at any dollar amount. I see the .99c price point as a sale, not a permanent price... a way to build readership. I know there are plenty of people who enjoy shorter works though, so I'm probably in the minority. I downloaded an author's book (no one on this board, but it was an indie author) who did not warn that the story was short (I read it in 15 minutes and was ticked off because I had paid $2.99). I would not have bought something that short for any price, but I did enjoy her writing and have since purchased other full-length books of hers. That one, I asked for a refund... the one and only time I have ever done that. I think it's important to let a reader know what they're getting and most are familiar with paperback page counts, so that's a good way to go.

As long as the reader is aware of the length, I would think anything between 5,000 - 25,000 words would be justified to be priced at 99c. The problem is, like others have said, the market is saturated with novels of all lengths at that price.

Mel Comley said:
What is your true paranormal short called? I have a friend who is obsessed with everything ghostly and paranormal and would love to recommend it to her.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Actually, we've come to the conclusion that author surveys on price for Kindle books and stories are not appropriate for the Book Corner, which is about discussing actual books.   Price surveys are appropriate to the Cafe, so you were right the first time, Rin (and cross posting is not allowed, anyway).  I've merged your two threads, leaving the poll from the one you posted in the Book Corner.

Thanks!  Sorry for any confusion.

And I voted...count me in as someone who prefers longer formats, so I chose the longest option, however I think really it's a fair price for any short work, as long as the pruchaser is aware of the length.  And I don't really have a feel for how many words are in things....

Betsy
KB Moderator

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I read a lot of short fiction, so I have no trouble paying 99 cents for a 3000 words short story. In fact, I buy them. I pay $1.00-3.00 without issue or eye blink for 5000-20000 stories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts