Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Depends. Sometimes I write to the more martial music by the Corries such as A' the Blue Bonnets. Sometimes I write to classical music, especially Tchaikovsky, Bach and Wagner. Sometimes to the soundtrack from Last of the Mohicans.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I'm an introvert, which means I am drained rather than fueled by outside input.

Silence is the best atmosphere for me, for work. If my husband simply must have the TV or the radio on, then I ask him to please turn it down so that I can try to tune it out.

I was actually upset a few months ago by a story I read in which someone tries to reform an introvert, tries to make the person more "outgoing." I was born this way, and I genuinely don't think it is anything I can change. That said, I am plenty outgoing when I have the energy to be, and when I am not trying to work. I think we introverts are vastly misunderstood by extroverts. Introverts are not anti-social or shy as a rule, though of course some of us are. We just gain psychological energy by being alone and quiet (meditation), rather than through stimulation. It takes all kinds, remember. In D&D terms, we introverts are the clerics and the wizards who need to meditate to recharge our abilities.

I find it difficult to even read with music on, let alone write. I LOVE music, too. I was in choir all through school. I just can't listen to music and do much else but drive or dance at the same time!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I don't listen while writing, but will often listen to music right before.
As to what music, it depends on what I'm working on. If it is a battle scene, then I pick something hard and aggressive.
If it's a love scene, then something softer.
This can all range from Pink Floyd to Aerosmith to Fleetwood Mac. All the classics... ;)

I've also found taking a break and listening to a few songs can help with writer's block.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm a pop music lover all the way and not ashamed to admit it!  ;D While writing my latest book, I listened to Maroon 5's newest, Ke$ha's newest, and for some variety, DMB's Away from the World CD. I mostly listen to current pop music while I'm writing, but when I'm editing, I sometimes have to keep everything quiet so I can really put myself in the scene.

·
Registered
282 Posts
None. For me it clashes with the rhythm of the prose.

I like to draw, with music, though.

And I like music before and after writing. Many kinds.

Listening to Donna the Buffalo now.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I like classical music for writing.  It goes well in the background (not too loud), and since it's instrumental there are no words to distract me or sing along with.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've just discovered Pandora free internet radio.  I listen to the spa, there.  Don't write by music, but can do visual art by it and many other things like chores.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mischa Maisky playing Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G. (Unless I'm writing a bloody fight scene, then it's Carl Orff's O Fortuna.)

·
Registered
267 Posts
It depends. If I'm working on the Fat Adventure series - I tend to listen to country (because it's set in West Virginia) or Pink.

For the Anagensis series - I've been listening to Metal Mother on repeat because it's darker.

I picked up a few new favs off this thread. Adding them to my Spotify right now :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Silence, total silence, please. Although, I also like to write at coffee houses and am fine with the ambient noise except for those occasions where someone has to sit next to me and talk extremely loud. Then I put some headphones on and listen to The Lord of the Rings soundtrack. I wasnt even a huge fan of the movies, but the music has a great epic quality. I've been trying the Hobbit soundtrack, too, but its not quite the same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts