Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I love, love, love my Voyage. There is one slight issue, but I don't know if I'm just being picky or what. With my paperwhite, when I wanted to change between location, page, and time left, the screen was very responsive. It just took one slight tap and the information was there. With my Voyage, it's not that easy. I try one tap, one tap in another location, another tap (probably turn a page here), then I get frustrated and tap several time with no response. I tap a bunch more times, and suddenly it comes to life and flips through the options, usually ending up at the one that I was on anyway.

So I was wondering, is this a common issue? Am I too picky? Or should I call Amazon to see about getting it fixed?

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I did find it a bit finicky....I get the most consistent response by tapping in the corner with (at least with my fat fingers) it seeming that my fingertip is just barely catching the black edge as well as the screen.  Hard to describe.  I think it's a known issue, but sending feedback at [email protected] would be good.

Betsy

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Same here on my Voyage. If I tap, I have to keep tapping. I find that if I swipe up from the edge into the screen and text there it works better. Starting from the black bezel. Small swipe. Kind of like as if I am getting rid of a dust spec, just a slight upward swipe and don't go further than the text. Cause if you do that slider bar thingy comes up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! The flicking thing works. That takes care of my one minor irritation with my Voyage.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Atunah said:
Same here on my Voyage. If I tap, I have to keep tapping. I find that if I swipe up from the edge into the screen and text there it works better. Starting from the black bezel. Small swipe. Kind of like as if I am getting rid of a dust spec, just a slight upward swipe and don't go further than the text. Cause if you do that slider bar thingy comes up.
Good tip, Atunah! That's probably the effect I'm having when I try to tap just overlapping the edge with my fat ol' fingers! Good description.

Glad it helped, MrTsMom!

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
I guess I've never noticed . . . . I just set it in time to finish chapter and don't change it. ::)

It does lag a little bit sometimes when putting things into and out of collections . . . . but even that's not always.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I used to keep it at finish book, but I settled lately on page. But not all books have pages so it goes to something else then. I can't even recall now what, locations I think. I don't want locations though with the percentage. So either time left in book or pages is what I like using. I think I'd like it to say though page 93 out of 347, rather than just the page. Although its easy enough to swipe up the sliding bar to see the length in case I forget.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I had the same problem with my Voyage, and have found that a "double-tap" gets the cycle started.  Once the cycle is started, it only takes me a single to tap to change between locations, page numbers, etc.  Once it cycles around to nothing showing, it takes another double-tap to get it started again.

The least useful information for me is time left in chapter or book, it just does not seem to be able to gauge my reading speed with any sort of accuracy.  It will start out telling me 1 hr 45 min to complete a book (probably close to accurate) and then after 4-5 page turns will change to 3 hrs 50 min and so on.  It is never anywhere close to accurate until I am on the last few pages and it will change from 53 minutes left to 1 minute left with a single page turn.

I wish the location bar clear across the bottom was still an option and have written to Amazon Feedback to say so.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
crebel said:
I had the same problem with my Voyage, and have found that a "double-tap" gets the cycle started. Once the cycle is started, it only takes me a single to tap to change between locations, page numbers, etc. Once it cycles around to nothing showing, it takes another double-tap to get it started again.

The least useful information for me is time left in chapter or book, it just does not seem to be able to gauge my reading speed with any sort of accuracy. It will start out telling me 1 hr 45 min to complete a book (probably close to accurate) and then after 4-5 page turns will change to 3 hrs 50 min and so on. It is never anywhere close to accurate until I am on the last few pages and it will change from 53 minutes left to 1 minute left with a single page turn.

I wish the location bar clear across the bottom was still an option and have written to Amazon Feedback to say so.
Yes, left in book is sometimes really off for me too.

And I totally agree about that location bar on the bottom. It is the only thing now that I miss from the older style kindles and the basic. There is just something so visual and simplistic about that bar for ebooks.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Seems like its almost quicker to just tap on the menu symbol in the upper right corner and select how you want it displayed that way.
That's what I do. :)

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I think once one finds a way that works, it works pretty consistently.  At least that's been my experience.

I don't much use any of them regularly, nor did I pay much attention to the percentage bar when we had it, but that's me.  I pretty much read until the book is over.  :D 

Definitely send Amazon feedback if you want the progress bar back.  I do think that's a very useful way to provide the information; better than just a percent alone.

Betsy

·
Registered
980 Posts
What I really liked with the progress bar was the visual markers for where the chapters were. That's a lot more helpful to me than time to next chapter (when I'm trying to decide when I need to put my book down because I'm on public transit or need to sleep.)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
These suggestions are so logical! They make perfect sense to me. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't have KBOARD members in focus group. These issues would be squared away in no time! ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
Well. . . . . . I'm pretty sure there are folks whose job is to browse around here. . . . . . I'd guess we were all instrumental in getting the Cloud Collections fixed to a logical functionality. ::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts