Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Google Alert that my novel was being offered for download in a bulletin board called, "Bolt" I went to the site are found the offer of free downloads of my novel and responded with a request to the Administrators to remove the post and also left a note. see below:

http://bolt.cd/board/showthread.php?p=2713332#post2713332

G

·
Phil, my book was also featured there. That's what the site is for, illegal downloads, and the administrators are the ones who are running it.

Your/everyone's best bet is to follow the link to rapidshare and send an email about the copyright abuse to them.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
foreverjuly said:
Phil, my book was also featured there. That's what the site is for, illegal downloads, and the administrators are the ones who are running it.

Your/everyone's best bet is to follow the link to rapidshare and send an email about the copyright abuse to them.
Thanks, Good advice. Bolt's Forum Rules specifically prohibit copyright infringement, so I reported the post.

G

·
Philip Chen said:
Thanks, Good advice. Bolt's Forum Rules specifically prohibit copyright infringement, so I reported the post.
I'm sure those forum rules were just a form of lip service. When I found them, they'd just moved onto the new .cd domain, which was done on purpose because it locates them in a country where they can't be prosecuted for infringements.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
foreverjuly said:
I'm sure those forum rules were just a form of lip service. When I found them, they'd just moved onto the new .cd domain, which was done on purpose because it locates them in a country where they can't be prosecuted for infringements.
I followed your advice and sent an email to Rapidshare's Legal Counsel, requesting that they remove the download.

Thank you for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My books started showing up on pirated lists about four months ago.

According to Stephen King, I've now arrived and should seek an agent.

I downloaded a couple of them and the formatting stinks. It was free and worth what I paid for it.

I'm pretty sure nobody who steals a copy was going to actually buy it to begin with but maybe if they get frustrated with the formatting and like the book they'll buy one to read.

Of course, anybody can download the audio version for free from iTunes already, so that's kinda lame.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if there is a cause and effect, but after posting the following response to the offer to download pirated copies of my book, I have been getting a sale about every five minutes or so on Amazon.

I am the author of Falling Star and depend on it for my livelihood. The above download, while flattering, is not authorized for distribution and your downloading it dilutes the value of twenty years of work. I request that you not download it.

If you are interested in this thriller that has received 35 very nice reviews and the recommendation of a well-respected book critic is it currently available on Amazon Kindle for only 99 cents USD.

You can obtain a copy at: http://www.amazon.com/Falling-Star-T.../dp/B003YCPK4C

I am sure you understand why I needed to let you know.

Thank you,

Phil Chen
Not the strategy I would have wanted, but I won't turn it down. As a co-worker once said to me,

"Guilt, the gift that keeps on giving."

·
Registered
797 Posts
Philip Chen said:
I followed your advice and sent an email to Rapidshare's Legal Counsel, requesting that they remove the download.

Thank you for the heads up.
LOL man I wish I was a lawyer and things were that simple :D

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Madeline said:
LOL man I wish I was a lawyer and things were that simple :D
For something like this, I'm sure Rapidshare will dump the upload post haste, if they are legitimate. I toyed with telling the Legal Counsel that I am an attorney, but decided against it at this time.

My email to the Counsel:

Andras Bedoe
Legal Counsel
RapidShare AG
Gewerbestrasse 6
6330 Cham
Switzerlan

Dear Mr. Bedoe:

I am the copyright owner of a novel entitled, Falling Star. It has come to my attention that copies of Falling Star are being offered for download on your file sharing website at http://rapidshare.com/#!download|700tl3|451208818|Falling_Star.rar|1488.

These copies have not been authorized for distribution in this manner by me or any other person affiliated with me. Please remove Falling Star from availability for downloading on your site.

Thank you for your consideration.

Very truly yours,

Philip Chen, Author

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
foreverjuly said:
I doubt those people have Kindles.
The download offered it in a variety of formats, so I suspect it is a Smashwords copy.

Incidentally, I just want everyone to know that the strategy of posting a reply to the offending post is one that I got from KindleBoards. One of our lady authors used this same strategy and reported on it. I apologize for not remembering her name. I can only feign early onset of dementia. So, whoever you are, thank you!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would assume that rapidshare/mediafire/etc all get a lot of copyright infringement emails, so I'm not surprised they list their legal council right there on the contact info. I'm a little surprised he's not available for video conferencing 24/7, though.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the upshot of all this is that the possible "guilt" buying has resulted in

# Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #3,724 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

* #78 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery & Thrillers > Thrillers > Spy Stories & Tales of Intrigue
* #85 in Books > Mystery & Thrillers > Thrillers > Spy Stories & Tales of Intrigue
;D

G

·
Philip Chen said:
I went to the Bolt site to check whether they had taken any action on my complaint. They had. They permanently banned me (no reason given).
lol I'm not shocked. That's what that site's about. Facilitating an illegal download of your book wasn't the problem to them, you were.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I got so excited for a minute, reading the title of the thread.  "Pirates!  Yay!"  And then I realised it's the other kind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.