Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my dog out into the backyard during the night time last week and forgot to turn on the light for her (and the critters in the yard). Unfortunately, she brought me a gift: a baby possum. It died. I buried it.

Early dawn today, I let her out and once again (dumb me) forgot to turn on the light. This time, though, there was some gray haze in the sky as the sun pushed its way out of bed. Once again, a baby possum was brought to me. I could tell this one was just playing dead and I put the dog in the house.

Once the possum discovered the coast was clear--it was totally cute how it looked to the left and then to the right--it stood onto its tiny legs and scurried off the deck. AND WENT UNDER IT!

There must be a family under there. How do I remove them without harming them? I was thinking maybe waiting until night time when they were gone and boarding up the area that is open. Is there a better way to ensure they are gone?

I'm off to the gym and then work now. I'll check back tonight. Thank you so much for your advice! :)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Angela Carlie said:
Once the possum discovered the coast was clear--it was totally cute how it looked to the left and then to the right--it stood onto its tiny legs and scurried off the deck. AND WENT UNDER IT!
I believe that's the first time I've ever seen the words 'possum' and 'cute' in the same sentence.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We had a similar problem last year.  An adult possum fell into one of our cellar window wells and couldn't get out.  We called animal control who refused to come out.  They suggested we put a ladder in the window well and let the creature climb out.  We did just that and, sure enough, the next day the possum was gone.  I really wish I had a photo of the little fellow climbing up that ladder.

Patricia

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
They ARE cute. Adorable. Just make sure they have moved for the day and then board it up. They will find some other place to hang out. I get them all the time, which is funny since I live in apartments in a very busy are of the city. My last apartment was downstairs and I used to feed some of the stray cats, yes I know  ::). So I had cats, Possoms and Racoons all there, sometimes at the same time on my patio  :D. I have pictures of the Possum falling off the table where the food was and he played dead, so he hung there upside down between the table and the wall.  ;D

Now I am in a upstairs apartment, I occupy 2nd and 3rd floor and have 2 balconies that are connected to the ground with stairs.

I kept finding piles of not so nice presents and thought it was cats at first. Then I found a possom sitting on my lounge chair on the 3rd floor  :D. They also kept eating my peppers. They still do.

Next day, it wants to come up again so I grab my broom and we are having a Possum-Human standoff on my stairs, me holding a broom. It would not budge  :D. They hiss and their funny mouth wide open. It was funny in a way. Sometimes they sit like cats and groom.

But yeah, once they move in, they are stubborn to leave.  ;D

I don't know who was more stubborn on those stairs, the Possom or me, the Bavarian mule.  :D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
They aren't cute and they have fleas.  They are furry rats.

Okay, boarding it up may not work--they are extremely adept diggers--and they do NOT go out in the day.  They go out at night.  So you'd have to hope they all left at night and try boarding it up.  But.  I'm not sure it would work.  They have pretty significant claws.

Your best bet is to trap them in a humane trap and "move" them to a larger park area that is fairly far from where you live (at least two miles).  THEN board up the area.

My neighbor has a deck. He's board it and you name it.  He now leaves a trap under there several times a year to get critters out.  Humane traps can be had at Harbor Freight or other places for 35 and up.  They have a door that slams down when food it taken from the back (and the animal trips a switch-lever.) 

Be very careful.  Possums are NOT docile.  They will hiss and fight like a feral cat.  They *will* be quite aggressive in some situations.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We had the misfortune of having a skunk and a possum fight and DIE under our front porch. Try to imagine that stank in the middle of summer. We had a heck of a time getting them out. You really don't want to know how that went down.

So, I'm going to have to join the not cute camp. Make sure they don't die under your deck!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have no possums, so I think they're cute too. Though I've been known to catch and release baby pack rats, and you know what a mess those things make. But looking at their sweet little furry faces with those big black eyes and round little ears . . . *melt*

I agree on using humane traps. And, since there are babies, please make sure you get the whole family before you relocate them.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Possums aren't all bad! We had nice ones at the zoo that little kids got to touch and pet. The wild ones can be pretty nasty, though. There are some companies that will humanely trap pests and then make sure they can't get back in their old nest (a combination of blocking it off and putting chemicals down that deter pests, I think), but I'm not sure how you would find a company like that. Maybe contact animal control and see if they have any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
A favorite joke of mine, though it may not mean anything to people who have not lived where possums do (especially in the spring):

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove to the possum it could be done.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Just search on: "animal control" Washington state. As an example, this is what I came up with Link.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Amyshojai said:
Okay, I just couldn't resist....Proper Possum Analysis may help *snerk*
"...which you can find at any local marsupial supply outlet..." cracked me up for some reason. ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
We had the misfortune of having a skunk and a possum fight and DIE under our front porch. Try to imagine that stank in the middle of summer. We had a heck of a time getting them out. You really don't want to know how that went down.

So, I'm going to have to join the not cute camp. Make sure they don't die under your deck!!!
Dear God. That's horrible!! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amyshojai said:
Okay, I just couldn't resist....Proper Possum Analysis may help *snerk*
Now that possum is definitely cute! hehe:)

@Swolf Awe, that's not fair. lol All creatures, especially humans, look evil when threatened. :p Besides, this was a baby possum. See your middle picture with those cute babies?

I'm thinking boarding up the deck may not work because I just discovered there are a bazillion places for them to squeeze under. Hmmm. Thank you everyone for the great advice.

Look! I found this really cool repellent. It smells like fox pooh! hahaha Apparently, possums fear foxes. I'm gonna try this. Instead of possum pooh smell under the deck, we'll have fox pooh smell. http://www.critter-repellent.com/possum/possum-control.php Hopefully it won't last long... :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I also think possums are cute (or opossums, as someone told me is the correct term for what's in Oregon--I have no idea if that's right!). They look like tennis balls with tails.

If they had furry, fluffy tails, probably more people would think they are cute.  :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hmmm I think it is time to call  Billy the Exterminator.  Animals are 'cute' in the wild, not so much when they move in with you. 

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
They're under the deck? That's outdoors, right? Not actually "moved in with you"? If it's outdoors, why do you need to do anything about them? ???

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
NogDog said:
A favorite joke of mine, though it may not mean anything to people who have not lived where possums do (especially in the spring):

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove to the possum it could be done.
I was so glad I wasn't drinking my Coke when I read this. So funny. I had one commit suicide under my car once. But he got the last laugh, I had to replace my muffler.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Amyshojai said:
"...Proper Possum Analysis..."
Quick....call 911 ! I can' breath... can't stop laughing !! Good Heavens, that is funny !!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts