Kindle Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Susan in VA said:
They're under the deck? That's outdoors, right? Not actually "moved in with you"? If it's outdoors, why do you need to do anything about them? ???
Yep. That's outdoors. I thought the same thing and I'm in no big rush, but would like for them to leave for a few of reasons. I have a big dog and a little dog. The little dog weighs three pounds, but thinks she weighs fifty. I'm afraid the big dog may kill more of the possums or the little dog may get hurt trying to be big.

Possum feces is way stinky, too. Like, sewage stink.

What if they keep multiplying under there?

Maybe they'll move on soon.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
No advice from me but good luck with the possum problem. I had a persistent one that keep getting into my background awhile back. My dog went crazy on him but he was as big as my little terrier and a lot tougher. Luckily I was around to rescue the dog.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
I also think possums are cute (or opossums, as someone told me is the correct term for what's in Oregon--I have no idea if that's right!). They look like tennis balls with tails.

If they had furry, fluffy tails, probably more people would think they are cute. :)
Australian possums are cute (distant relatives though, I think).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
nomesque said:
Australian possums are cute (distant relatives though, I think).

They're cute as long as they stay in Australia. :) They're huge pests here, where life is too easy for them, and they breed like... like possums in New Zealand. 70 million of them here the last I heard.

It's not their fault, of course. It's the fault of the silly humans who brought them here, and let them go.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Outdoors in the wild and outdoors near your home are two different things.  It may not be fair for us to continually encroach on their habitat then consider them pest when they invade our yards, but the fact is these animals do carry disease and can be dangerous to children and pets as well as do damage to homes and other property.  Someone jokingly mentioned Billy the Exterminator, but I think you probably should see if you can find someone like him nearby.  He does everything he can to rescue the animals instead of exterminating them, I've seen him go so far as to relocate a bee colony.  I'd call around and see if there are any no kill exterminators or animal rescue groups in your area.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Was I the only one disturbed by the lady on the video calling them Opossums?  The O is silent!  Or, I may just be a little too much hick.

Also, my mom says they are super greasy and should only be eaten when there is nothing else to eat.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Alle Meine Entchen said:
Was I the only one disturbed by the lady on the video calling them Opossums? The O is silent! Or, I may just be a little too much hick.
From Webster's:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opossum

opos·sum noun \(ə-)ˈpä-səm\
The parentheses means the 'ə' is optional, so it's correct either way. In my experience, the more rural the location, the more likely it is the 'o' is not spoken.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The no-kill exterminator sounds like a good idea. I know there are people who get rids of bees nests that are too close to a house without killing the bees, so there might be someone like that who deals with other critters.

The Australian possum is cute! Though I can imagine, like too many of anything, it can be a bother. Where were they brought in from originally?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Those rodent critters are HARD to get rid of.  My parents staged an epic battle between themselves and a family of raccoons that had managed to set up a home between the roof and the ceiling of their famly room. 

I guess that isn't much advice on getting rid of them...but it's a darn good story...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Years ago, when I was in the Army, my wife and I went out of town for the weekend. When we got back, we found our apartment a mess with things all over the floor. The culprit was an opossum, which I found hissing in the closet. In the kitchen I found water in the sink. I don't think opossums can turn on the sink and stop it up for a water supply, so my guess is somebody somehow put the opossum in there. Never did figure that one out.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I have a pretty good raccoon story (another nasty animal).

A few years ago I get to work and there's a few voicemails on my phone.  The first one is my wife, and she's hysterical, babbling about something I can't understand.  I thought something had happened to one of our kids.  The second message is her also, much calmer and letting me know what happened.

She had let our dog out - a white long-haired mutt at the time - to do his morning business.  A few minutes later she opens the door to let him in, and he runs inside.  But he has a passenger.  A raccoon had latched himself to the dog's backside and rode him into the house.

Once inside, the coon jumps off the dog and begins walking around snarling.  My wife panics and jumps up on the kitchen table, and yells for the kids to take the dog upstairs into their room and lock the door (as if the coon could get in if it wasn't locked.)

The raccoon is circling the table, snarling at her, and she's losing it.  She reaches for the phone and makes her first call to me.  Getting my answering machine, she then calls the neighbor.

The neighbor comes over with a broom, taunts the coon with it, so it latches onto the broom, biting it.  He takes it outside and it jumps off and runs away.

Needless to say, the dog had to pass inspection from then on before it was allowed back inside.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
The Australian possum is cute! Though I can imagine, like too many of anything, it can be a bother. Where were they brought in from originally?
They're native to Australia, but misguided people brought them here to New Zealand. They hadn't learned the lesson from introducing rabbits.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Angela Carlie said:
Yep. That's outdoors. I thought the same thing and I'm in no big rush, but would like for them to leave for a few of reasons. I have a big dog and a little dog. The little dog weighs three pounds, but thinks she weighs fifty. I'm afraid the big dog may kill more of the possums or the little dog may get hurt trying to be big.

Possum feces is way stinky, too. Like, sewage stink.

What if they keep multiplying under there?

Maybe they'll move on soon.
They will come back and nest in the same place over and over. I can't remember if they have little ones...I think it's twice a year, but don't quote me on that.

The possums themselves stink--not just the feces. They can and will scratch/bite dogs (or people for that matter.) They have fleas and ticks and there will be fleas/ticks under the decking even if/when they leave--so that area should be sprayed and avoided by pets and humans.

I've seen the little ones and they really are ... not cute.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts