Kindle Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 3387 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
sparklemotion said:
It actually is possible to have it made without the pocket as that is how mine arrived. :) Just plain leather, no pocket. I posted pics earlier in this thread. I asked for no wool, however I didn't say no pocket, but it arrived with no wool as I requested, and also no pocket. I have to say, I like it much better without the pocket. I would have no use for it really. So I got lucky as it came as I would have preferred it anyway, I didn't know it was option though. :)
Honestly, at the time of my order I only requested wool delete. I didn't even think about pocket delete as a possible consideration. I have my contact info on the screensaver. I don't think I will ever have a use for the pocket and while I would rather it not be there, it doesn't annoy me.

The Oberon leather is some of the finest I have ever held and I understand why customization is limited in a production process regardless of company size.

As someone else mentioned, if you're not happy with a vendor choice(s) there are lots of cases out there. I have strongly considered the Piel Frama covers because I love their Kindle leather retention system which doesn't require velcro, bungee loops, buttons or anything else to secure. But I don't like or need the cutouts for the Kindle speakers on the back of the cover.

The PERFECT cover me would be an Oberon with wool and pocket delete ... no pewter or bungees and have the Piel Frama Kindle retention. THAT would be the shizzle. 100% leather throughout with no do-dads and stuff hanging off ... just neat tidy and secure. But I am probably the only person in the world with that preference LOL. If I could make one, I would though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Just received a World Tree in green, without the wool felt liner.  Really like it that way.  It does have a pocket, which is OK with me (didn't mention the pocket in my instructions).  The inside leather is very soft and should offer adequate protection for the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Neo said:
Yaaayyyyy!!!!! Congratulations on your new Oberon! Pictures please ;D?

And you lucked out on the charm! I also asked if I could please get one or the other of 2 particular charms I really liked, but they gave me a third I really don't care for :'(. Too bad, had I known, I would have actually ordered the charms I really wanted*
For the last two orders I have always ordered an extra charm or two for this very reason. This time I ordered a sleeve and was not sure if they even come with a charm. So I ordered the cat and one other. I always seem to find something to do with them, eg in zips for bags and backpacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I've just found this board and am a new Kindle user.  I've stumbled across the Oberon website (after planning on spending $20 for a "basic" cover!), and am now trying to decide between a red or purple Paisley cover.  I know it's totally a matter of personal preference, but was wondering if anyone has the purple cover and if it's "garish"; it's hard to tell on the site what the colour will actually look like, and I don't want it to look cheap.  I also saw someone mentioned that there are charms available for the covers, and was wondering if these come with the covers, or if they have to be ordered separately.  If so, is there any purpose to the charms, or are they just for decoration?  Thanks, and I will post a pic of my cover once I decide on colours and get it ordered!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,529 Posts
Pushka said:
For the last two orders I have always ordered an extra charm or two for this very reason. This time I ordered a sleeve and was not sure if they even come with a charm. So I ordered the cat and one other. I always seem to find something to do with them, eg in zips for bags and backpacks.
That's smart, and I have now learned my lesson and will do the same next time - it may be a while though... In the meantime, I am enjoying the clean and simple look of my cover without charm, which only bothers me when I've just gotten a manicure, as is makes it much harder to open my cover "safely" :D

candyisdandy said:
I've just found this board and am a new Kindle user. I've stumbled across the Oberon website (after planning on spending $20 for a "basic" cover!), and am now trying to decide between a red or purple Paisley cover. I know it's totally a matter of personal preference, but was wondering if anyone has the purple cover and if it's "garish"; it's hard to tell on the site what the colour will actually look like, and I don't want it to look cheap. I also saw someone mentioned that there are charms available for the covers, and was wondering if these come with the covers, or if they have to be ordered separately. If so, is there any purpose to the charms, or are they just for decoration? Thanks, and I will post a pic of my cover once I decide on colours and get it ordered!
I can't help you on the design/color choice as I haven't had either, but I'm sure others here will be happy to help :). Also, I know that pics of this particular cover in both colors have been posted in this thread a little while back - it may be worth a search.

On the charms: Oberon has this cute "tradition" to join one charm to each order, for free. You can of course ask for the one you want, but sometimes you will get it, and sometimes not - Oberon chooses which charm to give you. Most of us use the charm on the elastic band that closes the cover, which makes it easier to open and close, as it gives you something to hold on to. They also look cute though ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I have purple Paisley and its lovely! It came with a butterfly charm and I attached it to the closure bungee. It is way more beautiful in person and a purchase I have no regrets about  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
candyisdandy said:
I've just found this board and am a new Kindle user. I've stumbled across the Oberon website (after planning on spending $20 for a "basic" cover!), and am now trying to decide between a red or purple Paisley cover. I know it's totally a matter of personal preference, but was wondering if anyone has the purple cover and if it's "garish"; it's hard to tell on the site what the colour will actually look like, and I don't want it to look cheap. I also saw someone mentioned that there are charms available for the covers, and was wondering if these come with the covers, or if they have to be ordered separately. If so, is there any purpose to the charms, or are they just for decoration? Thanks, and I will post a pic of my cover once I decide on colours and get it ordered!
If you go back through this thread you will find many wonderful photo's but be forewarned it could only make your decision harder. :)

If you are on Facebook Oberon designs has a page where you can see many pictures posted by those have purchased the Paisley in both red and purple. I find both equally as beautiful.

http://www.facebook.com/oberondesign?sk=wall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Neo said:
Yaaayyyyy!!!!! Congratulations on your new Oberon! Pictures please ;D?

And you lucked out on the charm! I also asked if I could please get one or the other of 2 particular charms I really liked, but they gave me a third I really don't care for :'(. Too bad, had I known, I would have actually ordered the charms I really wanted along with my cover, but I just can't justify the high shipping cost for 2 charms only (I mean, the shipping cost isn't high in itself, but compared to the price of just one or 2 charms, it is). So now my cover is "charm-less" :D, but still gorgeous, and the charm will go to whomever buys or gets my former cover, and hopefully will like it more than me :)

I'm actually a little bit sad about the so-so experience my last Oberon order has been, to be honest. This is the 6th Oberon product I order, and until then, all had been perfect (so I guess that got my level of expectations way up there, lol). But between the little pang of disappointment I got when I opened the package and saw a charm I really didn't like (and didn't expect) after having kindly requested another (small thing, I know, but we all know how excited we get about those small things ;)), the cardboard inserts I ended up trowing out (although in the end that may have been a blessing in disguise: I'm ending up LOVING the feel of the supple leather alone, and I never really dared to throw out the plastic inserts, for some weird reason ;D), and the fact that it wasn't love at first sight with the new cloud dragon design, it was a bit of a weird Oberon experience.

BUT after having had my black cloud dragon for a week now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new cover and the new design! I can't keep my hands off my cover, keep on petting it and getting to know all the ridges and crevices of the design. I keep on discovering new details to a design that at first look doesn't seem that intricate but in the end always surprises: there is a tiny mini cloud on the front, so small, but perfectly embossed, super cute! The leather is still oh so yummy, and when I put my hand inside the flap for reading, well, I think this has to be softest Oberon I have yet had!!!!!

So all in all, I am now (one week later) a VERY happy black cloud dragon owner ;D

Thank you so much to all who advised me to give it some time last week: you were all right :-*
Cobble, we were SO right! I am thrilled for you, Neo! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
hidden_user said:
I've posted in this thread already since the first of the year. Several people PM'd me about the technique I used to age and "enhance" the Bold Celtic cover in Saddle that I have. I responded to a couple of PM's TRYING to explain what I did. A couple of days ago, I received another PM, so I thought I would address the issue here.

The thing is, it is a personal, semi-artistic and possibly risky process. I honestly don't feel comfortable explaining what I have done in great detail. Some of the material and techniques used, are certainly not authorized by Oberon and to attempt to duplicate my efforts will not only void any warranty or guarantee, but you may not be very happy with your results and possibly feel you have ruined your cover. I don't want to be responsible for that.

The Oberon cover is a wonderful cover as is from Oberon. Use and proper care over time will gracefully age the premium leather.

That said, I thought I would share some pictures I just took. Since previously posting pictures, I have further modified my cover. I have removed the Pewter button and elastic closure. I used a leather repair kit to fill in and blend the remaining holes in the leather. The cover stays closed just fine and had I been able to order the cover from Oberon like this, I would have done so. My cover was ordered without the wool felt lining and I would have also deleted the inside pocket as well, were that possible. All I wanted was simply a cover without a bunch of do-dads and that's pretty much what I have now.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your cover as much as I do mine and apologize if I have disappointed anyone 8)

Front



Inside (I blocked my contact info from the picture)



Back

You did a great job! You would never know there was a button there. The cover looks really nice without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I agree, I like the worn look - you shouldn't worry about posting how you achieved it, there are plenty of tips available online. (For those interested, check out this thread on leatherworker.net. :)

I plan to do a similar thing with my Bold Celtic once I have it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
OberonDesign.com said:
We are unable to customize due to costs. We are a very small company. The dyes are expensive and they are ordered to fit the plates for each item. So if you order a cover and you are the only one who ordered it in red we are stuck with that dye.
I thought this might be an example of someone confusing a dye to make color and a die to press the pattern, but I assume this means they order the leather pre-cut and pre-dyed to fit each die plate, so they have to limit the number of colors available. But that really doesn't make sense either, all the K3 covers are the same size, so if one is available in one color they all should be, unless they start with different sized leather for each design and then cut down to the final size?

On another note: I recently put both cardboard stiffeners in the front pocket, I like that a lot, feels more like the cover of a book when holding it, and gives another layer of protection for the screen. Also feels better putting fingers into the back pocket with no stiffener in there, not that I hold it that way very often.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
MartyS said:
I thought this might be an example of someone confusing a dye to make color and a die to press the pattern, but I assume this means they order the leather pre-cut and pre-dyed to fit each die plate, so they have to limit the number of colors available. But that really doesn't make sense either, all the K3 covers are the same size, so if one is available in one color they all should be, unless they start with different sized leather for each design and then cut down to the final size?
No, they specifically said they have to order the dyes for each design and that they are very expensive, therefore they need to limit their dye plates to the most popular ones. It doesn't make sense for them to create a dye plate for a design just because one or two people demand it. That leaves them with a dye plate they can't use.

I think it's really sad that this thread, which started out as place to share pics of our beautiful Oberon items has turned into a Oberon bash thread where all people do is pick at and complain about the company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
No, they specifically said they have to order the dyes for each design and that they are very expensive, therefore they need to limit their dye plates to the most popular ones. It doesn't make sense for them to create a dye plate for a design just because one or two people demand it. That leaves them with a dye plate they can't use.
I did quote what they wrote, I'm saying it sounds like the terminology (die vs dye) is being lost somewhere. Pieces of dyed leather are often called "dyes", and the metal stamps used to press the design into the leather are also called "dies", and are very expensive. But you don't need a different metal die for each color leather (dye). It would be easy for someone that doesn't work with with the product to confuse the terms.

Even if they were using a dye sublimation press to add color they would not need a different plate for each color, just different colors to put in the machine, so that doesn't make sense either.

Like I said before this only make sense if they need to start with different size pieces of leather for each pattern, leather does tend to change shape when you work it, so they probably do need different starting sizes for each one, then cut them down to proper size after pressing, so keeping every color in every size would lead to excess inventory of different colored leather (dyes). And just using the largest size for everything would lead to a lot of waste when doing the final cutting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
It's great seeing pictures of your Oberon covers, but may I ask why some of you prefer not to have the felt lining? To me it seems like the felt is a nice touch that protects the kindle screen, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm considering ordering another Oberon cover and wanted to get your opinion of the pros and cons of the felt.  Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Alley Gator said:
It's great seeing pictures of your Oberon covers, but may I ask why some of you prefer not to have the felt lining? To me it seems like the felt is a nice touch that protects the kindle screen, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm considering ordering another Oberon cover and wanted to get your opinion of the pros and cons of the felt. Thanks!
I don't like it because small pieces of the felt were getting stuck under the edge of my kindle screen all the time, almost daily, and they are not easy to get out. I found it very annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
In my home with two medium sized dogs, the wool felt on my first Oberon seemed to be a magnet to trap and hide small debris. I didn't think trapped debris both visible and hidden could possibly afford very much OR BETTER "protection" for the kindle display when a plain leather cover is wiped clean of debris with a simply swipe of the hand.
 
2861 - 2880 of 3387 Posts
Top