Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel down after their book is published? I've lived with the characters in my two-book series for five years and now that their story is finished, I miss them and the daily grind of figuring out what to do with them.

Don't get me wrong, it's a thrill to finally have the work out there, but it's also a letdown. Perhaps the writing is easier for me then the next step: promotion!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Harriet Schultz said:
Does anyone else feel down after their book is published? I've lived with the characters in my two-book series for five years and now that their story is finished, I miss them and the daily grind of figuring out what to do with them.

Don't get me wrong, it's a thrill to finally have the work out there, but it's also a letdown. Perhaps the writing is easier for me then the next step: promotion!
Yes. I usually take a few days off writing and then ease back in with a new story. Sometimes new characters want their story told and carry me out of the doldrums.

It's pass. Yes, promo can help, but remember to keep writing. ;)

~ Aithne

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think it gets easier with each new book you write. After my first couple of books I felt really down and just didn't want to let go of my characters. Now I get eager to start the next book each time I finish one.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Call it literary post-partum depression. Most writers have it. Usually, though, new voices begin to be heard inside one's head. New characters forming a new story!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I completely agree with this. I get so down after I finish a book. I'm actually glad to hear this seems normal. I have to take a few days off too before I begin writing again.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James Bruno said:
Call it literary post-partum depression. Most writers have it. Usually, though, new voices begin to be heard inside one's head. New characters forming a new story!
This is exactly how I've described it! I know I have to take care of the baby (promote it), but for now I'd like a nanny to do it! It's very reassuring to hear that others feel this way too.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Complex. Joy, weariness, excitement also come in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts