Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it very much...but skeptical because:
I like that K.1 has removable battery and SD slot.

next post:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep. I feel the same way. LOVE having the SD card...I travel a lot and having books stored on my home computer would be useless to me. Also like having a replaceable battery. And....still no files??!? I think I will be sticking with the classic kindle version until K7 comes out  ;)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's sort of an OCD thing for me.  I like to be in control and me not having access to the battery or being able to store what I want on the sd cards that I choose scares me.  Though I do like the K2 very much.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I cross-posted on the complain thread  ;D

I don't like the lack of SD and folders, but am trying to keep an open mind.  I haven't filled up my current memory yet (because w/ the lack of folders, its too hard), but I am going to try to stay positive till I have it in my hot little hands.

I am sure  ;) that the 1st software update will be to add my folders!

....heavy sigh....

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK the unOfficial thread...jeeez louise...
I fixed it:  The unOFFICIAL thread...feel free to post.  Sorry if I stepped on toes. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Benj; thanks buddy:  So, what do you think?

·
Registered
685 Posts
We sure must have had a lot of people following the press conference thread, with the number of server errors I received trying to update the page.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cons: Still no folders; doesn't seem to come with a case of any sort and cheapest one is $29.99; no replaceable battery. I think it has sufficient memory now. You can keep your books up on Amazon or for your freebies, in a file in your documents.

Pros: The text-to-speech feature. What a blessing for the blind and visually impaired. Huge, huge, huge Pro in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't like the lack of SD card, and the battery replacement concerns me - but at the same time, I'm an iPod user and have been for some time, and the battery issue never bothered me there.  

What I am concerned about is support for my less than 2 months old K1.  I've got a battery on backorder.  Who knows if that will ever come.  I guess I should look into alternate replacement battery sources.

·
Registered
657 Posts
1. Too small for those with disabilities. Not just the size of the k2 but the buttons are too small
2. no SD card
3. no removable battery
4. I would have to hear the text to voice because personally I used that feature in the MS Reader program and it sounds very robotic so its distracting
5. 2 gigs internal sounds great BUT every time they update the firmware it will take away from your 2 gigs.

Now just speculation..
I bet they raise and keep the book prices higher. More hype, more new users = higher book prices but thats just my opinion!

·
Registered
835 Posts
chobitz said:
1. Too small for those with disabilities. Not just the size of the k2 but the buttons are too small
2. no SD card
3. no removable battery
4. I would have to hear the text to voice because personally I used that feature in the MS Reader program and it sounds very robotic so its distracting
5. 2 gigs internal sounds great BUT every time they update the firmware it will take away from your 2 gigs.

Now just speculation..
I bet they raise and keep the book prices higher. More hype, more new users = higher book prices but thats just my opinion!
Chobitz, on Amazon on one of their videos it plays a bit of the text-to-speech. Scroll down the page and there are two video screens. It's the upper one. It's a six-minute (approx) video.

The text-to-speech sounds robot-y but for visually impaired, it is a blessing. All those books, magazines & papers are now available to them!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do agree that the Kindle is working wonders for the handicapped and the text to speech is going to be a life preserver for the visually impaired.  I think it is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C.

I do hope that Amazon doubles its efforts for the WAITERS and puts the pedal to the medal.  People have been very patient and us K1 users having precedence isn't going to sit well; though we only have a one day grace period and not all K1's are going to get K2.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The text to speech is going to be great. It is the feature that is going to kill Sony. Anyone who his a real sight impairment, loves to read, and can afford K2 will be buying one. It is something that people were asking for on the Amazon boards and I really didn't think they would put it out there. It is interesting that it is listed as an experimental feature.

The rest of it just doesn't matter to me. With an SD slot, I can carry as many books as I want so I don't need the extra internal memory space. I like my replacable battery. I am going to be flying to New Zealand for my honeymoon and I can see where having a replacable battery could be a very good thing. Never mind power outages and the like. I have never had a problem with how quickly the pages turn so increasing that speed is not a big deal. I guess the increased grey scale would be nice for images but most the books I read do not have omages so I am not all that worried about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sjc said:
Hey Benj; thanks buddy: So, what do you think?
Welp, were stuck with k2, like i thought. I like the bigger memory and not havin to deal with sd card. I wont use the text to speech, i prefer to read. Im still going to stick with the k2 instead of going to sony though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Suzanne said:
Chobitz, on Amazon on one of their videos it plays a bit of the text-to-speech. Scroll down the page and there are two video screens. It's the upper one. It's a six-minute (approx) video.

The text-to-speech sounds robot-y but for visually impaired, it is a blessing. All those books, magazines & papers are now available to them!!
Thanks I'll go check.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts