Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had a greyhound and people used to talk about the greyhound phenomenon...once you had one, you had to get another or three....sort of like potato chips: "You can't eat just one."

So I am curious about Kindle Potato Chips...you thought you bought one for yourself and to share with your wife/husband/daughter/friend and before you knew it...you were buying another or three.

Share your stories! Mine is simple: my daughter and I were going to share. Then after 2 weeks, I had to buy one for her exclusive use. When my son saw it, he had to have one. Then I got one for my friend who is an avid reader but was feeling a little short on cash at that time. So...4 Kindles on my account, all well loved and used every day. My son probably has the least use but he has an excuse: he's in college.

Others?

Leslie

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I'm also in college, but so far the Kindle has been destroying my homework time, rather than vice-versa. My parents and brothers are also avid readers, but so far they aren't sold on the idea. My dad wants to physically own his books, hates DMR. My mom hates techie gadgets. And my brothers can't afford one. But all my friends (and two of my professors) are constantly stealing Phantasos (my Kindle) off my desk.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Leslie:  I was interested in your greyhound analogy.  I am the coordinator for a dog program in the state of Michigan prison system.  We started about 2 years ago- with greyhounds.  I had never seen one and always thought them a bit homely but they have grown on me as sweet, loving, good natured and a VERY LARGE couch potato.  Had never been around greyhound folks before either- they are a very different breed- and most of them seem to have the "potato chip" mentality....interesting.

As for my Kindle, I love "Kirby" already, however, I'm struggling with a) spending too much on books and b) not wanting to do anything else but read.....has always been a problem but now more so!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newbie Girl said:
Hi Leslie: I was interested in your greyhound analogy. I am the coordinator for a dog program in the state of Michigan prison system. We started about 2 years ago- with greyhounds. I had never seen one and always thought them a bit homely but they have grown on me as sweet, loving, good natured and a VERY LARGE couch potato. Had never been around greyhound folks before either- they are a very different breed- and most of them seem to have the "potato chip" mentality....interesting.
Our greyhound, Jessie, died 2 years ago this month. I still miss her and go back and forth in my mind about getting another one. My husband adopted a middle-aged chocolate lab from the animal shelter so we have him at the moment. Dumb as a rock but a sweet dog deep inside. I still like greyhounds better, though. A very unusual and loving breed.

As for my Kindle, I love "Kirby" already, however, I'm struggling with a) spending too much on books and b) not wanting to do anything else but read.....has always been a problem but now more so!
And I really hate it (well, love/hate, it's a love/hate issue I guess) when I get started on a book that I can't put down. Ack! Forget work, forget cleaning...forget eating! I need to read! LOL

L

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
I'm happy with just one!  My husband isn't interested.  My son is moderately so, but not enough to spend the money.  I told him when a new version comes out I'll get it and he can have mine.

Ann

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a bad Kindle evangelist. Only one convert, so far: my mother. Unlike a lot of people, I don't carry my Kindle with me wherever I go because I don't have a lot of free time during the day. Even during the evening I have very little leisure time (I'm usually writing), so the Kindle lives, primarily, on my nightstand. The only reason my mother even saw my Kindle is because I was using it for emergency internet access at my sister's place while I was troubleshooting her computer. (Suck it, Sony! Advantage: Kindle.)

One thing I have noticed: Whatever I write, I have a desire to see how it would look on the Kindle, so I format it and upload it. It used to be I dreamed of seeing a book of mine in print, but now that's been replaced with desiring to see it instantly downloaded by the masses. Strange, huh?

Anyway, you'll be able to download my book soon. It's called Yellow Awnings, Black Pigeon: An Autobiographical, Auto-erotic, Esoteric Journey of One Man's Quest to Find a Graffiti-Free Bus Shelter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
quickfics, your literary adventure into the seamy, roiling darkness of public transportation way stations can never match the sheer bravado of the original work that has inspired your title. You're unable to match the quirky shifts of time suggested by the original, for all your tenses agree. Stefhen f.d. Bryan's tormented quest to wring credulity from the mangled wreck of his metaphor can not be evoked by your insistence on subtlety and nuance. I've known S. f.d. Bryan, quick. I've read S. f.d. Bryan. You sir, are no Bryan.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An author who shall remain unnamed has decide to frequent the Indie Authors thread (over on Amazon). I looked his webpage and give him a quick assessment of what I thought was wrong with his page and also his book description. He decided I was overopinionated and arrogant. Between all of us here, I have a feeling his writing is on a par with author Bryan.

L

·
Registered
509 Posts
Remember that literary hoax, "Naked Came The Stranger", from way back in 1969? I think we assembled scribes and scribblers could do something like that for the Kindle and achieve notorious success with vast wealth and regal bearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have dibs on the chapter where just the word "poop" is repeated 4,000 times.

Seriously, though, I've heard worse ideas in my life, Teninx. The Kindle seems ready-made for serialization and the old chapbook way of publishing. Of course I also keep hoping Mad Libs will eventually show up on the Kindle (which is, I suspect, how Mr. Bryan wrote his book), so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quickfics said:
I have dibs on the chapter where just the word "poop" is repeated 4,000 times.
Is that in Naked Came The Stranger or Yellow Checker Cabs and Golden Showers? I am getting confused here...

L

·
Registered
88 Posts
I should clarify: I have dibs on writing that chapter in our soon to be magnum opus Naked Came the Keggerator. I'd better get cracking!

Poop poop poop poop poop poop poop. Poop? Poop.

(I just realized that "poop" will now become a searchable term in this forum. Sorry in advance.)

·
Registered
509 Posts
How about this for the first graph of the first chapter?

Shashey DeBoutie was a lustful blonde with a huge sexual appitite and she can eat a lot, too. When she comes into the dark biker bar that women of her loose character and sadly depressed socio-economic class like to frequent every so often or more, both of the three men sized her up.
"Wow, get a load of her!", said Biff, the biggest meanest biker with a twinkle in his voice. "I bet I know what she's here for, if you get my drift!", he cackled like a rabbit in heat.
"You got that right Biff", said PickAxe, so called because of the Pick Axe he always carried still strapped to his one good leg.

This writing stuff is HARD!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Teninx said:
How about this for the first graph of the first chapter?

Shashey DeBoutie was a lustful blonde with a huge sexual appitite and she can eat a lot, too. When she comes into the dark biker bar that women of her loose character and sadly depressed socio-economic class like to frequent every so often or more, both of the three men sized her up.
"Wow, get a load of her!", said Biff, the biggest meanest biker with a twinkle in his voice. "I bet I know what she's here for, if you get my drift!", he cackled like a rabbit in heat.
"You got that right Biff", said PickAxe, so called because of the Pick Axe he always carried still strapped to his one good leg.

This writing stuff is HARD!

Biff's girlfriend Muffy, slunk over from the bar,draping herself around Biff. She sized up Shashey with just one glance from her good eye. Yeah she'd seen chicks like that before, all fluffy and steamy, eyes like raw oysters and lips like hot tamales.

Waay too Hard.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Oh, dear.

Getting back to the topic.... I bought my husband a Kindle several months ago. I was tired of picking the Wall Street Journal (or whatever paper the delivery person decided to dump in the driveway) up every day that he was out of town on business. They would pile up, he does NOT read old news. About every two months I would go through a monster stack of paper, read the Personal section and Marketing section, and overfill the recycle bin. All this for $250 per year, plus tax.

When the Kindle came out, I - of course - wanted one (I'm the gadgeteer of the family), but was really quite patient. Once it was readily available, I ordered it and canceled the Journal paper subscription the day the Kindle arrive. My husband is happy, he gets his paper now every day, even when he is out of town. I am happy, I no longer have piles of papers lying around. The delivery person is probably NOT happy, but that's what he gets for failing to deliver it almost once a week.

When the Oprah discount was announced a couple of days ago, I thought "what the heck?" and ordered one for me, too. Now, to figure out which cover to buy....  ::)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Susan B said:
Teninx said:
Biff's girlfriend Muffy, slunk over from the bar,draping herself around Biff. She sized up Shashey with just one glance from her good eye. Yeah she'd seen chicks like that before, all fluffy and steamy, eyes like raw oysters and lips like hot tamales.
[/quote

"I'm Biff's Old Lady," spat Muffy, "And I'm warning you: Any further attempt at intercourse with my bethroed would be considered a breach of etiquette and a hugely unseemly conduct". Muffy, much like author, spent two semesters at a community college and liked to show off sometimes.
Biff glowered at Muffy and casually hit her with a long-necked bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon, which bounced off the top of her head. "Them's big words, Muffy. I've gone and told you before we don't like big words here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts