Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this has nothng to do with the Kindle at all, but I am so excited and I can't call my hubby right now and I need to tell someone! My 20 month old son just went potty! I bought him some undies and we have been trying, and doing a lot of laundry, but today he let me know he had to go and when I took him to the potty went peepee like a big boy! So exciting!
What does it say about you when pee is the highlight of your day?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I totally get the joy of that. I didn't think my son was ever going to potty train, but one day (around 2 and a half) he announced he wanted big boy underwear like Daddy and NOT training pants; that was all it took for him. He was daytime trained after that. Obviously it was momentous, since I still talk about it ;)

Congrats to your little guy!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! We had cookies and turned on some music and did a little dancing. He really loves to dance! He likes his big boy undies too! They have to be so much more comfortable than diapers.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Great story. It is something you never forget. He'll hope you will, but you won't. My daughter was having a hard time training one of her boys and I told her to take him to the store and let him pick out his own big boy undies. He did and loved them, but had an accident one day (not pee) and she was dunking them in the toilet. She dropped them and he flushed at the same time. He was traumatized, but never had another accident. He will be 13 in a couple of weeks, so I think that will be a good time to tell the story again. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
MAGreen said:
OK, I know this has nothng to do with the Kindle at all, but I am so excited and I can't call my hubby right now and I need to tell someone! My 20 month old son just went potty! I bought him some undies and we have been trying, and doing a lot of laundry, but today he let me know he had to go and when I took him to the potty went peepee like a big boy! So exciting!
It says that you are a mother! LOL Well done to you and the kid.
My younger son was born when I was 43 and had to make choices about what I had the energy to deal with. So, I told my then-husband that if he was still using diapers when he went to college, I would then do potty training with this one. :) I let him decide when he was interested in doing this and at 2 and a half, he trained himself, day AND night in a week. I had a friend who had eight kids and, as she always said, she only had to work with the first boy and the first girl and after that, the others wanted to be like their older siblings and did the potty thing all by themselves... I remember she said the girls did it at about 2 and the boys at about 2 and a half...

patrisha

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. I am really proud of my little boy, and I can't wait to have the next one. My daughter, now 10, had a hard time with training pants when she was little(r), so I just bought her some pretty panties and she hasn't had an accident since. I am hoping my son will do the same, but I have heard it is harder with boys. So far it hasn't been difficult at all! He's still young though...

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
My oldest daughter was the worst. She'd pee in the potty, but was afraid to do anything else. It was REALLY frustrating. She thought it would hurt, and no matter how hard I tried to convince her it wouldn't hurt any more than it did in her diaper, she just wouldn't believe me. I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING and nothing would work. I was beginning to think she'd go to school wearing diapers. At my wits end one day, I told her bad guys were going to take her if she didn't go in the potty (I know, it was HORRIBLE and I regretted it instantly) but I tell you what, she ran to the toilet and sat there until she went and we never had any issues after that. We did give her magic windows so the bad guys couldn't get her (we made them look like stained glass). My mother was horrified and to this day won't let me live it down..It was not one of my finest moments as a parent, but <sigh> it worked.

My son wasn't quite as stubborn. He just had no desire to and I really wanted to stop changing diapers (at that point, I'd been changing diapers daily for nearly 10 years straight :eek: (with about a year of having 2 in diapers) I just wanted it done. He wanted a guitar for Christmas and I told him Santa wouldn't bring guitars to babies, only to big boys and big boys didn't wear diapers (mind you this was after months of trying to get him to use the potty) At that point, he went and put on his underwear and started using the potty. No accidents (just bad aim), no more diapers. I was happy and he got a guitar for Christmas.

We had a no more diapers party that year. It was WONDERUL! LOL

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm glad those days are gone.  It was a happy when I lugged my final pail of dirty diapers to the laundry room.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
At my wits end one day, I told her bad guys were going to take her if she didn't go in the potty (I know, it was HORRIBLE and I regretted it instantly) but I tell you what, she ran to the toilet and sat there until she went and we never had any issues after that. We did give her magic windows so the bad guys couldn't get her (we made them look like stained glass). My mother was horrified and to this day won't let me live it down..It was not one of my finest moments as a parent, but <sigh> it worked.
LOL I think this is funny and very honest! I'm sure alot of people have stories like that.

My friend has a little boy and let's just call him ACTIVE Very Active! He is very smart but he whistles to his own tune, won't take guidance very well at all. So when he started preschool he had to be trained before joining his class.

He was 3 years old and WAS completely trained at home and with his mom but at pre-school he decided he would NOT go to the bathroom anywhere but his pants. He knew better and he knew how to go perfectly fine at home or any other public place he just wouldnt go for his teachers. So they threatened several times to expell or kick him out of preshool for this problem.

My friend couldn't take it anymore, Preschool was like God's personal blessing to her for a little daytime break lol. Her little boy hated cops and jail,crime etc. So she finally told him that the next day at school if he used the bathroom in his pants the cops were going to come and take him to jail, Not just any jail but big people jail with all the crime.
LOL I thought it was so funny not because it was the best parenting tool but just because she was completely at the end of her rope with him. She felt horrible and asked me so many times if she was a bad mom. Which she wasn't and isn't she just couldn't take anymore. I still laugh thinking about it because she was so worried he would fear law enforcement etc. But IT WORKED!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL! What great stories! It will be several more years before I am done with diapers. I did get a break after my first child. She was 9 when her brother was born, but since we are going to start trying for another one soon I get to start all over again! I don't mind having two in diapers, but it's a lot of work and I'd like to have him out of them by the time the next baby is born. I just *hope* my son will be out of diapers, or at least able to use the potty, when we fly overseas in September. It will make traveling soooooo much easier!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was kind of lucky with the potty training and kind of not - we were stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany and German workers were working on updating the outside of our quarters.  They were not at all restrained when it came to the time and place to urinate, and so my little guy potty trained himself by watching them BUT thought the only place to go was OUTSIDE IN THE BUSHES!  Try to explain that one to your mother-in-law when she comes to visit! LOL!  He's 28 now and in the Army himself AND has a 10 month old son - hope and pray he gets as good as he gave!

Kathy

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
MAGreen said:
All I can do is laugh

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
One of my happiest days was the first time I went to Target and didn't have to buy diapers!  Now that was a happy dance.

Congrats, MaGreen, on the big milestone.  I hope it continues to go as well.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update...
for the last couple days he has continued to use his potty 1-2 times a day, so he is getting the idea. I am still doing a load of laundry each day and going through 4-5 diapers, but we are getting there! We now have a little routine of getting a cookie and doing a little dancing in celebration!
I hope he never finds out I posted this when he grows up...he'd kill me! LOL
Susan in VA said:
Sure it does. Don't some people read while on the potty? ;D

Congratulations, I know it's a momentous occasion!
LOL Susan, actually, I sit and read to him while he goes potty, so I guess it does have to do with the Kindle! ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Congrats MAGreen. I remember those days well, though they are now long past. Rejoice and be happy all you want. It's a wonderful part of being a parent when your children learn to do things for themselves. Good job!

EllenR

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
MAGreen said:
actually, I sit and read to him while he goes potty, so I guess it does have to do with the Kindle! ;)
There ya go! (hearing Dennis Weaver as McCloud in my mind as I type that -- anyone else remember him?)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts