1 15-oz can black beans
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, diced

Brown turkey in large saucepan. Add tomatoes and beans and heat. Add red pepper flakes, cumin and chili powder, mixing well.  Add garlic, 1 cup onion, and pepper, stirring well.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Top with remaining chopped onions and serve.

How I make it:  I use 1 pound of ground turkey instead of 1 cup, making sure to separate it into small pieces.  I'm not a fan of raw onions, so I put them all in instead of saving some for on top later.  I also like things spicier, so I use about 1/2 more of the chili powder, cumin, and garlic than specified.  The recipe doesn't say anything about draining the tomatoes and beans before adding them, but I put it all in and then increase the simmering time to get to the consistency I want.

I would guess chicken can be substituted for the turkey, since they're both good for you.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
NapCat said:
Delighted to have you aboard Anna, but I am concerned for "Things 1 & 2"....are they destined to a "Chilly" [sic] demise ?? Ha!
Thanks, NapCat. No need to worry about Things 1 & 2 at this time. I have learned that well behaved roosters seem to be a rare commodity. ;) The freezer is still fairly full with most of a dozen of the original 15 cockerels who never had more specific names than Nugget and Tender Fillet before they became very chilly. Named roosters do not need to worry about a "Chilly" demise unless they have a change in temperament for the worse; i.e.,
they don't bite me and I don't bite them

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm in! And that chili recipe looks delish - thanks! Right now I'm in a location where I can walk daily and meet my 10,000 step goal - hope it lasts a while.  And the heat's so bad I'm surely sweating off a few additional ounces??

Thanks NapCat, I needed this!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Wolfy, what kind of beans and rice?  I like your chili recipe.  Sounds like a crock pot adventure with more for later! 

Glad to see so many people on board.  Great group support when we need it.

Yogurt, chicken caesar salad (instead of the sub) so far today. Haven't really jonesed for a Frosty yet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The current thinking seems to be that "the white stuff" is to be avoided, in the way of starches/carbs. Try brown rice, whole wheat cous cous, whole grain breads, etc. And beans are really really good for you! I only wish I could eat more of them. (Beano doesn't agree with me any better than beans do...  :mad:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
spotsmom said:
But the white stuff is what I like best!! Including vanilla ice cream (with chocolate sauce, of course).
White starches (rice, white bread) make your blood sugar spike, in the current view of nutritionists who are worried about people developing Type II (adult onset) diabetes, a.k.a. insulin resistance.

Vanilla ice cream's high in fat. ;D (But it does have a lot of sugar -- the white stuff, of course!)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
spotsmom said:
Wolfy, what kind of beans and rice?
The beans are in the chili.

As for the rice, the whole grain brown rice is better for you, but I'm not a big fan of it. However, I've found that if I spice up the water I cook it in (oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash, etc) and then put some spaghetti sauce on it, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Got room for another one?  I was doing fine earlier this year, dropped a few pounds, but gained it all back when I broke my toe and couldn't exercise for two months.  A support group would certainly help with the frustration of having to lose those pounds all over again...

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
SongbirdVB said:
I would love to lose a pound a week. Count me in and give me the chili recipe. ;D

You are counted !! So glad you are joining us !

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
mom133d said:
After the visit with the doc today...I'm in. I'm looking at 20 pounds, but a pounds a pound right?
Great ! Glad you are here !

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
MissStar said:
If you all don't mind, I think I will join you. ;D

My goal for today is to get at least 10,000 steps in. Since I usually only get 4,000 a day, that's a good hour or so (at least) of walking/jogging in place.
Mind? Of course not.....I like your 10,000 step goal....hope you have a nice place to walk......please share with us how that goes.
I assume you use a step counter....which one?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
David M. Baum said:
Can we talk kilograms as well? I started 2 months ago, grossly overweight at 110 kilograms. With my bloodpressure and all, I had to lose about 20 kilo.
I do one of these shakes and bars diets, hardbut not too crazy, and I've already lost 14 kilo in 2 months.

Exercise helps (I bike a lot), and drinking lots of water. Lots. Again going by the metric system, I drink about 3 liters per day.

Good luck, you all!

Thank You for pointing out that the KB is an International Community. Here is a link to one of many on-line conversion sites.

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/weight.html

Glad you are with us....Good Luck !!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
swolf said:
Turkey Chili
That You for sharing your recipe.....I have the ingredients on my shopping list !!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
ellesu said:
I'm in! And that chili recipe looks delish - thanks! Right now I'm in a location where I can walk daily and meet my 10,000 step goal - hope it lasts a while. And the heat's so bad I'm surely sweating off a few additional ounces??

Thanks NapCat, I needed this!
Glad you are with us.......credit for the Chile recipe goes to swolf
I am just delighted to see so many folks joining in....

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Erin Zarro said:
Thanks, NapCat. Tonight the hubby and I are taking a walk. The weather finally cooled down and I feel good about this.

Have a nice walk...

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
lpking said:
The current thinking seems to be that "the white stuff" is to be avoided, in the way of starches/carbs. Try brown rice, whole wheat cous cous, whole grain breads, etc. And beans are really really good for you! I only wish I could eat more of them. (Beano doesn't agree with me any better than beans do... :mad:)
Thanks for the tips (and for mentioning the side effects). I have read that when we go to a higher fiber diet, that particular side effect is common, BUT TEMPORARY !!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Susan in VA said:
Got room for another one? I was doing fine earlier this year, dropped a few pounds, but gained it all back when I broke my toe and couldn't exercise for two months. A support group would certainly help with the frustration of having to lose those pounds all over again...
Your in !! Hope the toe is better.....remember we are concerned with just ONE POUND this week !!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
To All:

I am just so delighted at the turnout for this venture......it is just a reflection of the true "Community Spirit"of the KB.

For me, my first "baby step" is the hardest.....that being eating on a schedule. After a lifetime of working odd and rotary shifts, I have fallen into terrible eating habits....not so much what I eat, but when.......I am making an extreme effort to eat breakfast and not eat at bedtime. Very hard for me.

Can a cat truly nap without cookies and milk???

Thanks everyone for being here for me.....

Walter

41 - 60 of 1682 Posts