Kindle Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1682 Posts

·
0 Posts
I lost 25 pounds four years ago and have kept it off... and lost another 15 just the last few months. Read about "Intermittent Fasting 101". Once you quit using food as a drug and a habit after 7pm, your stomach will shrink and you will eat less and less and still feel full. I never have food cravings, now. See a doctor and get CBC blood test and cholesterol tests. I am retired and my focus is delaying the aging process and writing. Read "How calorie restriction influences longevity". The hardest part was walking past a Reeces Cup at the 7-11. Read about the Paleo, Pritikin, and Mediterranean diets. You lose weight in the kitchen and build muscles at the gym. It is easier to not eat two Reeces / 210 calories than to try to burn off 210 calories by exercising. Good Luck. It is a head game. People assume that I am 15 years younger, and I believe that intermittent fasting saved my life. If you also reduce your caloric intake by 20% ( check calorie counter, online) and exercise enough to lightly pant, you will lose weight (you exhale the fat). It will take two weeks to see any difference. It is a lifestyle change. Ask your doctor !

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is an interesting "challenge". I have a very poor relationship with food (read: eating disorder) and I'm used to my weight being a rollercoaster ride. A pound a week is so specific and so slow that I'd find it difficult to stick with it.

As it stands right now I'm also trying to lose weight after "letting myself go" for three years and I'm losing between 7 to 15 pounds a month. Even that feels too slow to me.

Still, your approach does seem the healthiest and easiest to sort of stick with in regards to caloric restriction. You only need to run a slight deficit every day to meet your goal and, even if you don't reach it, it's not a big deal because it's "only" a pound.

Seven years, though. Have you been trying to do this consistently over this time? What's the "status report" so to speak thus far?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Finally have good news to post here! Down four pounds, it just took... *looks at last time I posted* ...about a pound-a-month instead of week?

·
5,885 Posts
Finally have myself back under control after a long lapse. I had a slipped disc and couldn't do anything but lie around eating - that's my excuse anyway!

I've lost about 25 pounds since the middle of January and although my back isn't completely right yet I'm back to walking a few miles every week. Once again I'm determined to keep going but experience tells me it's never that easy.

·
5,885 Posts
dgrant said:
Here's to easing back into it, and further progress! Yay for you - 25 pounds is amazing!
Thank you! Although no doubt I'll be back here before long, confessing my sins. Sigh. One day at a time.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,568
Great to see so many getting back to our program. I retired 8 months ago and am adjusting to a new schedule. Staying stable so far.

Congrats to all.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Enjoy your retirement NapCat

I am well settled in my eating and activity schedule to stay in normal weight and strongly believe anyone of us can do the same without being over concerned about weight...

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,570
*DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) said:
Enjoy your retirement NapCat
Thank You....after working for nearly 60 years, it is sort of like running into a brick wall !!!

I am keeping busy with my ranch and interests....also volunteering at a Wildlife Refuge and Death Valley National Park. I am on a more regular eating schedule of better foods and sleeping more......I feel good and slowly losing some weight.

·
5,885 Posts
The weight loss has slowed down to a crawl and it's very frustrating - I feel like I'm making a lot of effort for very little return.

That said, I did manage to shift 2 pounds last week, so yay!  :D

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
For this past week: Yes and I currently weigh less than DH.

In the time since I last posted here, my weight has been going up slowly but has been relatively stable. I am nowhere close to my highest weight. I am still participating in races but have let the training slide due to family needs. I am restarting training for a race in July that is being dedicated to my mom.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Down two pounds since the last time I posted! Which would be more impressive it it weren't on the pound-a-month schedule instead of pound-a-week, but I'll take what I can get!

I bought a shirt in February that was a size too small, because the business was awesome, and I wanted to support them. IT's now just a little too tight across the chest, and fits across the belly! Which means it's perfectly fine for housework in the backyard. Someday soon, it'll be fine in the front yard, too!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Weigh in for the weeek ending 9/20/19: YES. Also YES for the weeks ending 9/13/19 and 9/6/19

I still weigh less than DH!

After some stressful times in the recent past and the associated stress eating, things have calmed down a bit. I started tracking again in the free version of the Lose It app. I am not "dieting" and I don't worry about going over the calorie budget recommended by the app. (I am averaging about 200 calories a day over recommendations but I am also not entering exercise or activities.) I had my annual physical yesterday and I am 5 pounds down from this time last year. Not bad for a stressful year!

We are leaving today on a family vacation at Disneyland/California Adventure. I will eat whatever I want but plan on still tracking what I eat. We will see what I weigh when I get back home.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
We are back from vacation. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning. We went to Oogie Boogie Bash at Disney California Adventure. Since part of the event is trick-or-treating at Disney, I returned home with a bag of candy and a chocolate covered caramel apple decorated as the Evil Queen. (3/4ths of said apple was my dinner tonight as DH ate 1/4.) This is not going to be helpful in losing weight but I only ate 4 of the small packets today. I kept tracking my food; the travel days were actually worse than the Disney days.

I had not posted here much the past few years due to stressful events in life.
Back in 2016, my oldest granddaughter was in an accident that resulted in broken bones and spinal cord injuries. My mom fell and broke her hip. While spending time at the hospitals that year, I gained over 20 pounds. Early in 2017 DH's father passed away and just before Christmas that year his mother also died. In 2018, my mother's cancer metastasized into the bones of her spine. She had been living with my sister since she broke her hip. By the end of the year, she started home hospice as her doctors could no longer prescribe strong enough pain medications. She passed away from a stroke in May of this year. At about the same time, DH was also having stressful issues on his side of the family.
DH and I have been doing what we can but have had to let a lot of things slide just to deal with life. I am amazed, that as a stress eater, my weight has stayed approximately in a 10 pound range after the initial 20 pound gain.

About 3 weeks ago things calmed down a bit. I started tracking my food intake again. Yesterday I started rereading this thread, initially to find the location of the weight tracking tool that I had been using (Hacker's Diet Online), but then for inspiration. I entered the nearly two years of weight data from my WiiFit into the online tool.

I am excited to be getting back on track and am looking forward to weighing in later this morning.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Weigh in for the week ending 25 September 2019: NO ;D

I only gained 0.2 pounds on vacation and DH gained 1 more pound than I did so I still weigh less than DH. I ate all the treats that I wanted and had a great time!

I now think that the weight gain over the past few years was just so that I could fit the Mim description of "obese". ;D

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,992.msg3843679.html#msg3843679

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
A few days ago, I posted the following on my Facebook page:
The past few years have had some stressful times for me and my family. I am a stress eater if I am not especially careful. A few weeks ago I started tracking what I am eating again. I entered the last couple years of weight data from my WiiFit into the Hacker's Diet online tool that I used previously. While I regained about half of the weight that I lost in 2012-2015, the past two years settled into a lower stable weight than the years when I worked at a desk. My next goal is to once again go below the obese/overweight boundary and then not go above it again. I am currently meeting my goal of weighing less than Raymond but I expect him to keep that challenging. 😉

I have now gone on record with my friends about my weight goal. :D

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Weigh in for the week ending 2 October 2019: YES (by both scale and trend line  :))

No special "weight loss diet", just portion control, tracking everything I eat, and mostly good choices. I still have candy from Oogie Boogie Bash but am eating it a few pieces a day, when I truly want it. Knowing tiny fun size pieces are at home seems to be stopping me from eating full size bars at work. Often, I forget by the time I get home. ;D

1561 - 1580 of 1682 Posts