Kindle Forum banner

POV for sequel(s)?

448 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ruecole 
#1 ·
When I initially plotted out my chick-lit/romantic comedy series of novelettes, I'd intended each book to be a stand-alone story with a different main character. Basically, the series was going follow a group of friends as they each find Mr. Right (I've got 5 books plotted thus far and 6 titles.)

But now that I've written and published the first book (How to Cook Up a Disaster), I'm beginning to wonder if I should stick with my original MC for the next book(s). I feel a bit like her relationship with the hero is just starting to develop and would like to explore it a bit more rather than jumping right into the friends' POVs.

Thing is, though, I don't think the plots I've already got in mind for the subsequent books will adapt well to my original MC. And I'd really hate to just dump them. (Plus I LOVE the titles!) So what I'm thinking is maybe I should add two new titles between the first and what was going to be the sequel, so that I've got 3 books from my original MC's POV, then switch to her best friend for 3 books, then the other friend for another 3 books.

Does this sound like a good plan? Am I overthinking this?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Rue

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd get two lines going- one series strictly from your MC's POV, and parallel series with your other characters. If you could simultaneously write one title from each series and then publish them together, that would be good. 'Course you'd pretty much have to give up things like working, eating, bathing, etc.

#3 ·
My suggestion is to write all of them.

Write the individual stories of the 5 or 6 girls.  And write more about each of the girls specifically.  So, you'll have a book about Sally, Mary, Jane, Wilma and Betty, then you'll have another book about Sally talking more about another time in her life, etc.  

What order you write them in is up to you.  You may even hop around by writing a couple about Sally and then writing Mary and Jane and then a second about Jane if you think there's more story there then doing three about Wilma...

You do not have to end up with sets of 3.  They're all in the same "universe" and you really can do anything you want.  They can all be stand alone, they can build off each other, some can be more strictly sequels, or you can mix it up.  It is totally up to you! And you can write about them, on and off for years if you want.

#4 ·
Thanks, guys!

I'd love to be able to publish a book a month, but I do have a thing with showering and sleeping now and again. I sometimes feel like I've got too few hours in a day as it is!  :p

I definitely do intend to write all the stories I've got in mind. I just thought doing 3 each would make it easier for making boxed sets later. But I really like the idea of just going with the flow. Much less stressful than trying to plan everything!  ;D

Thanks!

Rue

#5 ·
ruecole said:
Thing is, though, I don't think the plots I've already got in mind for the subsequent books will adapt well to my original MC. And I'd really hate to just dump them. (Plus I LOVE the titles!) So what I'm thinking is maybe I should add two new titles between the first and what was going to be the sequel, so that I've got 3 books from my original MC's POV, then switch to her best friend for 3 books, then the other friend for another 3 books.
That sounds like a good idea to me. It's always a bad thing to squander any ideas you're passionate about, so go for it! More MC and more new characters, the best of both worlds!
And it doesn't necessarily have to be three books for each, just go with whatever feels like it works for the story you're trying to tell. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.