Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you power off? When do you just sleep? I have only had my Kindle for about a week and I find that most of the time I'm inclined to just sleep, but then I end up leaving it on for long periods of time, like overnight. Just wondering what the benefits of either are...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Mostly I make it sleep since it doesn't use power when its not on wireless and on sleep. But I treat my kindle like a phone by turning it off for at least ten minutes once a week.

every week when I defrag my laptop...I turn off my kindle. Most of the people here just put their k's to sleep, I think? from what I remember from another convo.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I let it sleep, period. If a problem develops I will try turning it off to clear the memory, but that has never solved any problem. I have had my K for 2 months and it has been turned off maybe twice. I usually keep whispernet off unless specifically needed.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I leave mine in sleep mode 99.9% of the time. As others have said, as long as the Whispernet is off, it isn't drawing any power.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Very rarely turn my Kindle off.  I put it in sleep mode when finished reading but if just leaving it for a few minutes I don't, knowing that if I don't get back to it, it will go to sleep on its' own.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Like most others, I seldom turn Eleanor the K off, just let her sleep.  Mostly I turn her off by accident, when I am trying to turn Whispernet off and use the wrong switch.  Fortunately, she's very patient.

;D

Betsy

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used to just let it sleep but i keep hearing people say that when they bring it out of sleep parts of the screensaver stays on the screen and they end up having to get a new one so now i let it sleep when im not using it during the day but i turn it off at night.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Can't say I've ever had that problem; mine's not been turned off in some time....lazy thing seems to sleep most of the time since I'm on Kindleboards more than I'm on my Kindle.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
I'm with the 'never turn off' crowd.  I also don't turn WN off very often; I do plug it into recharge it every night.  I have WN off now as I'm traveling, though I did turn it on to get my newspapers this morning. 

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Liesle sleeps most of the time although I leave WN off except when I want to receive samples or books. I think I have powered off 3 times in 3 months. I charge my battery once a week, if I left WN on I think it would need recharging everyday or every other day.

Linda

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always leave mine on with Whispernet on so the NYT headlines blog can update frequently.  The charger is next to my bed, and I plug it in last thing before I go to sleep.  The battery indicator has never gone below about 80%, but typically I only read for about 3 hours a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have started powering mine off. I had two permanent smudges stay on my screen...I think they might have been residue left from screen savers, (some have alot of ink in them).I finally called Amazon and they over nighted me a new Kindle. :D I am now turning mine off...it really isn't that hard to do. Amazon
was not surprised by my problem and were GREAT about replacement....however I am being very cautious!

·
Registered
7 Posts
wizard6 said:
I have started powering mine off. I had two permanent smudges stay on my screen...I think they might have been residue left from screen savers, (some have alot of ink in them).I finally called Amazon and they over nighted me a new Kindle. :D I am now turning mine off...it really isn't that hard to do. Amazon was not surprised by my problem and were GREAT about replacement....however I am being very cautious!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I turn mine off all the time and only turn Whispernet on when I use it. Is there any reason not to use the off/on switch?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Jinx just naps when I'm not reading. I only turn on the Whispernet when I want to download my samples or browse the store but then it goes off as soon as I'm done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts