Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am planning to 'launch' an Italy-based mystery novel in the US (I am in the UK) at the end of the year and am looking for recommendations on a decent public relations person with a track record of achieving reviews/ interviews. I don't need help writing a press release (my background is in PR) and I will handle social media and arrange blog tour myself. The book will also be available in print. What I lack is that inside track on the US market and the contacts to get noticed. Does anybody know of any legitimate people (I can't afford the big bucks PR firms, obviously) that can provide this kind of service? Thank you!

·
Registered
628 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, all these press releases and PR services are little less than useless. I suggest you check this forum for launch strategies other people use and I'm sure you'll find cheaper and much more effective options. As for reviews, I suggest you check your genre on Goodreads and try to approach some of the reviewers - that's what I did in the past and I made some very good contacts. If they like your book, they'll be happy to review it both on Goodreads and on Amazon - and if they don't, they might tell you exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
It will just be a waste of money. Like Lady Runa said, research release strategies and do something from that. Unless you're a huge name, no one will notice a press release, even if you get someone to run it. Selling books for indies is a different thing from a trad pub selling books.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes. I do hate to burst your bubble. But... Hiring a PR pro for books outside of the Big 5 is all but wasted.

First, newspapers and local media companies have had so many staff cuts they no longer have a book reviewer or even a book page for fiction, most times, not even in the bigger Sunday editions. (I'm a former journalist.) So unless you're writing nonfiction and they could use you as an expert source for a future article, those review copies would be cast into the void.

My writing partner also tried this route. He spent thousands on a press person, and only ended up with one BookTuber unpacking video for all that work, time and money. There are better, more effective ways to reach readers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don’t waste time on a press release. Focus on personal emails to influencers that show you actually know them (or value what they do) and aren’t just looking for free buzz. For interviews, try podcasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts