Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today, Drenee announced the arrival of her much-anticipated Kindle on the "watching" thread.  After her initial shock of opening the package she posted, "All of my books I've ordered over the last couple of days are there.  They're just there.  I mean, I knew it was going to happen, but when I went to the home page, there they were."

As a non-Kindler, I'm totally confused how this can be.  Can someone please explain or point me to a thread?  Does this mean she purchased the books before the Kindle arrived and they were transferred over the WhisperNet to her Kindle (please don't laugh if I'm WAY off!) or did she have to download them after her Kindle arrived in some other manner? 

I've tried searching for the answer and I just can't find it.  Thanks.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I imagine if they turned on the Whispernet prior to shipping, they would already be on the Kindle when it arrived. If not, they will show up in the content manager after you turn it on and turn on the Whispernet. I think sometimes they will download automatically, but on mine I had to transfer the items from the content manager to the Kindle manually through the content manager.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Hey, Libro!

She purchased the books before the Kindle arrived, and when she turned on Whispernet, the books downloaded.  It's very cool!

Betsy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what happens.  Someone had told me that it could be on the ups truck being shipped to you and if the signal is good, the requested books will download to it wirelessly.   Now if that part is true, it is even more pretty darn neat huh?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
KCFoggin said:
Yup, that's exactly what happens. Someone had told me that it could be on the ups truck being shipped to you and if the signal is good, the requested books will download to it wirelessly. Now if that part is true, it is even more pretty darn neat huh?
I don't think the battery would last until it even got to the UPS truck :) The Kindle is off when you receive it, but downloading will only take a few seconds after turning on the Kindle and the Whispernet, if you have a good signal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
marianner said:
I don't think the battery would last until it even got to the UPS truck :) The Kindle is off when you receive it, but downloading will only take a few seconds after turning on the Kindle and the Whispernet, if you have a good signal.
Well, both switches were on when my Kindle arrived.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, let my non-techie brain try to figure this out -- You can purchase your Kindle books via Amazon before the Kindle arrives and once you register the Kindle at home it just "knows" to send them to your unit?  

What about free book sites?  Do you wait until the Kindle arrives to download those books?

Thanks for your patience.  

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
libro said:
So, let my non-techie brain try to figure this out -- You can purchase your Kindle books via Amazon before the Kindle arrives and once you register the Kindle at home it just "knows" to send them to your unit?

What about free book sites? Do you wait until the Kindle arrives to download those books?

Thanks for your patience.
Yes, you are correct Libro. That is the whisper net feature, you get the Kindle turn on WN and the books from Amazon are on your Kindle in a matter of seconds. Works the same for free books. Check out Tips, Tricks and Trouble shooting Board and you will read about all kind of cool feature of the Kindle. :) The free books from sites other than Amazon have to be downloaded to your computer first.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Linda and everyone else.  I'm off to the Tips board to get some Kindleducation.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Before my Kindleabra arrived I downloaded a bunch of the classics from free sites to my computer in a folder named Kindle.  When she arrived I used the USB  and put them on.  You chould go in to Amazon and "purchase" the free books there that interest you as the price may change at any time.  There are links to a lot of those on the Free Book Thread.  Happy Kindling.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My friends and I anticipated the arrival of my kindle and we made a list of samples, free books, book, and stories written by my friends we were going to transfer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts