Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I need your opinion/advise.

I have pre-ordered my Dx along with its Dx cover , to be received by me on 11th June.

I am not sure if I did the right thing by pre-ordering the cover.

However, as soon as I receive the Dx I will start using it and I want to ensure its safe inside a cover.

Would it be prudent to await for the Oberon designs for the Dx and maybe from other vendors too.

I know I have a 30 day window period to return the cover but then why go through the whole cycle at all.

Am a bit confused on the Dx cover. ( I love my Kindle 2 cover though..its awesome though inferior to Oberon). Trust the Dx cover would be of same quality if not better.

I am also thinking the Dx cover price is pretty steep but the Oberon would be steeper!!

Any suggestions/advise/strategies/opinions on my dilemma?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Captain,

When I ordered my K2, I ordered the Amazon cover. I used it for a month or so until the Oberons came out. As soon as I received my Roof of Heaven cover, I gave my Amazon cover away.

With the DX, I didn't even spend the money on the Amazon cover. I figure I'll just keep my DX very safe until I can carefully enclose it an Oberon cover. I was feeling a bit more frugal this time around.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I don't foresee anybody throwing a DX into their purse (I know you're a guy)  like they would a K1 or 2.  Perhaps a backpack.  But I'm thinking that even in a cover, I'm not sure I'd put a KDX in a backpack and let it bounce around on my back.  Just me.  I'm a bit overprotective though. 
I definitely see your dilemma here.  I would hate to spend money on a cover I would only be using for a short period of time, but I would also hate to be coverless. 
Good luck.
deb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leslie,

When you returned your K2 cover, did the Amazon guys return only the 29.99$ or also part of the taxes and the shipping they charge,

You may have ordered the Kindle 2 and its cover in combination?

How much sum total did you receive back, just for the cover?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drenee said:
I don't foresee anybody throwing a DX into their purse (I know you're a guy) like they would a K1 or 2. Perhaps a backpack. But I'm thinking that even in a cover, I'm not sure I'd put a KDX in a backpack and let it bounce around on my back. Just me. I'm a bit overprotective though.
I definitely see your dilemma here. I would hate to spend money on a cover I would only be using for a short period of time, but I would also hate to be coverless.
Good luck.
deb
Deb,

From your reply, I can sense that it will be prudent to not be "penny wise, pound foolish".

i guess i will get the Dx cover from Amazon,albeit for a short period!

Other opinions awaited!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Leslie didn't return hers.  She gave it away.
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Captain said:
Leslie,

When you returned your K2 cover, did the Amazon guys return only the 29.99$ or also part of the taxes and the shipping they charge,

You may have ordered the Kindle 2 and its cover in combination?

How much sum total did you receive back, just for the cover?
As Deb noted, I didn't return it. I gave it to a member here who was buying an Oberon cover from me. I just added it in the box.

L

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was in the same situation, but I canceled the cover after I joined Kindle Boards about a week ago because I learned about a lot of other choices you have when it comes to protection from many different companies. I know what you mean about it being coverless until covers start coming out. But I'm going to be getting a custom Borsa Bella not too much later after the DX gets here. I'll just be really, really careful with it. Making sure not to do anything stupid.

I would also not want to go through the hassle of returning the cover, and just save the money for something I really want.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
If money's tight, skip the cover and understand that you're not taking the DX anywhere until you get one.  Otherwise, I'd definitely pick it up.  I regret not having a cover ahead of time for my K2, and truthfully, if I'd purchased the Amazon cover along with mine, I might have saved the money on the Oberon.  The weight difference between the two is astounding to me, and I'm finding I actually prefer using the Amazon cover.  I don't leave mine uncovered even in the house, since we have pets and I'm a bit of a klutz.  Having a cover has already saved my K2 from three incidents that could have done significant damage.

Amazon covers for the K2 are tough to find secondhand (either here or on ebay), and they're typically snapped up relatively quickly, so even if you get past the thirty day limit, I doubt you'll have an issue reselling it.

Regarding the BorsaBella:  I love Melissa's stuff, and I have three bags with a fourth on the way for my camera. But I have to say I would not be confident of putting a bare DX into one of her bags.  The padding is fabulous, but padding alone doesn't spread the force of an impact against the screen.  With the larger screen of the DX, I think you're more vulnerable to damage, and I'd be doing everything I could to keep that from happening.  To me, that means a rigid cover or sleeve, which I then put inside my BB bag.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I forgot to add that I'm getting hard crystal case, and I'll be putting my shelled DX in the Borsa Bella. I thought about getting a cover, but I just don't like the idea of it, since most of the time it'll be in the cover, and what's the point of skin, if you can't even see it, unless the cover is open or out of the cover. I thought long and hard about it. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Annie said:
I forgot to add that I'm getting hard crystal case, and I'll be putting my shelled DX in the Borsa Bella. I thought about getting a cover, but I just don't like the idea of it, since most of the time it'll be in the cover, and what's the point of skin, if you can't even see it, unless the cover is open or out of the cover. I thought long and hard about it. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own.
Does the hard crystal case cover the screen? If not, the most vulnerable part of the DX is still at risk as far as I can tell. The flimsy soft plastic screen protectors included with most of these protect against dust and scratches only, not against impact damage. Overall, the point of the hard clear cases is to protect the outside of the device and keep it looking nice; they do virtually nothing to protect the inner workings against damage.

I understand fully what you mean about why cover + skin, because it does seem silly to put these gorgeous designs on our Kindles and then hide them away, but to me they're very different things. The skin is pure decoration, with just a tiny bit of protection from scratches and gunk. The cover (or a semi rigid sleeve if you like to read without a cover) is real protection against things in a backpack or purse smashing the screen, and it spreads the impact of a fall to the edges of the Kindle and away from the screen, meaning your Kindle is more likely to keep working after any type of accident than it is without that kind of protection.

Like you said, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. I have extended warranty protection including accidental damage coverage through Square Trade, but I'm still determined to take every precaution I can to protect my investment, and I have to say I'd be twice as protective of a DX. The larger screen means they increased the size of the most fragile part of the reader; it's like having a laptop you can't close. All that said, I do prefer reading a bare Kindle, so my own preference is a cover or sleeve that's easy to remove for reading. Then the Kindle goes back in for protection.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My BB is going to be a travel bag, so that there will be no need for me to carry another bag to put the DX. As a young female, I'm not like those have gigantic bags with the whole world inside them. I just carry the necessities. My cellphone, money, and ID. That's about it. With the travel bag, I could carry all of that and the adapter. So, it'll be highly unlikely that it'll be bumping against other things. When it's not in use, it'll be tucked safely away in a bedside drawer.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree w/ VictoriaP. Borsabella may be decorative and fine for a bag w/ a kindle in a cover but for a naked kindle it is not good enough protection. Even the ones she labels made for a naked kindle. I have one and ended up using it for other things. It is not rigid at all and had no kind of shock absorber for the screen. I had mentioned sfbags because they will have sleeves ready in time and the sleeve case they carry (as opposed to the slip case) will fit with the crystal case. You can add a shoulder strap to your order. They have superior padding plus a hard plastic shock absorber that they insert into the case for even more protection of the screen. Its the absolute best sleeve I have had for a kindle and highly recommend it. No it doesn't come in pretty colors and patterns but it is a great sleeve to protect a $500 ebook reader.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've used my K1 for over a year and the only time I used the cover was when I left the house with it. In fact I've since lost the thing somewhere in the house and can't find it, I use it so rarely. I haven't ordered a cover for the DX but I'm really towards the M-EDGE Platform. I don't get the point of having a cover and a bag. To me the cover suffices whenever I take the kindle anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts