Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started thinking about this the other day...any predictions on the number of DXs that will get returned to Amazon?  I am not discouraging anyone who has purchased the DX or thinking about purchasing the DX.  For some, it is a matter of wanting a larger screen, for others, reading magazines and/or textbooks more comfortably.  However, I think a larger majority of folks are buying the DX cause it is new.  So I am curious to just how many DXs will get returned once people physically have the device in their hands and decide that it is not for them.  Especially folks that have been use to the K2 or K1 smaller size.  Things that make you go hmmmmm. ???

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Not many, defects aside.  Enough videos etc that most of us that ordered them have a pretty good idea what we're getting.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Gotta agree with Forster. I knew what I was getting into due to the size of it. I realized that it would be a lot bigger than the other Kindles in comparison. But it also helps that the DX will be my first Kindle, so I can't really make comparisons to the other Kindles, just to the Sonys that I've been playing with at stores while I wait for my DX.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think most people that purchase the DX will go into it after doing alot of research. Most people will be buying it for specific reasons and they probably know alot about the product and the Kindle concept and product line.

Other than returns based on defects I think there won't be many returns. I can't see many people spending almost $500 just on an impulse buy and then wanting a refund.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Somehow, I have a feeling there will be more returns of the DX than a lot of people are willing to admit. Here on KB, we're all pretty well informed 'cause we already have a general interest toward the Kindle, and getting information through the boards is dead simple. But for others... Well, I think a lot of people will discover that it's actually a bit big for them to comfortably use, or that they were going to use it for textbooks but decided that they actually prefer texts in DTB format, or it doesn't do the thing they thought it was gonna do. Plus, there's the price of the DX to consider. I think a lot of folks will be returning them for a K2 when they realise it just ain't for them (always happens with more expensive stuff)... It's amazing how many people are ill informed before making a purchase, or simply don't do their research beforehand.... A wee bit ironic since this is the information age, and it's never been easier.

And yeah, there's also the possibility of defects. I'm curious to know how well the screens hold up, since the DX will use a completely different screen (obviously), and whether Amazon's quality control will be better this time around.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I agree, I don't think there will be many returns at all.
As someone who luvs both my K1 and K2,and made an informed decision to buy a KDX,as I am sure the majority of buyers did,I doubt people will return them out of buyers remorse.
Although I suppose some who couldn't get the KDX themselves might hope there are issues,I seriously doubt there will be.:)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
seems that the KDX will have the same problems/issues that K2 had like sun fade or lack of folders there just has not been that much time. I really like the screen to body ratio and the ability to turn kindle on its  side. Neither of these is enough to buy so I am sticking to K2 and look forword to all the reviews.
Sylvia

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I dunno.  I've heard an awful lot of people agonizing over whether to get a K2 or DX, when it's obvious (to an outsider, at least), that what they need is a K2.  They just want the DX because it's newer.  And look at how many people bought the K1 or K2 and returned those because there was something wrong with it - from not enough books that they want to not having a backlight - information that was easily available via the most cursory investigation.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Well, I'm always amazed at the amount of people that make uninformed decisions. If you are reading or posting here you clearly are informed, but I've seen a ton of misinformation on kindle in general from people I know and on the 'net.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The most appealing feature of the DX to me would be the larger screen size, but I'd find the size of the actual DX to be larger than would be convenient for me to carry. I'll just be content with my month-old Kindle 2. For those of you who are anxiously awaiting the arrival of your DXs, however, I hope each of you will love it as much as you think you will. (Somehow, I have a feeling that most of you know exactly what you're getting, and are going to love it.)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
I hope there isn't any issues with the DX, mainly the sunfading... But knowing that it's a major problem with the K2, it's a 50/50 chance that the DX will have the same problem... We'll just have to wait and see...
I believe they have fixed the K2 fading problem with the more recent shipments. I would be surprised if that particular issue showed up again. But maybe we should cross our fingers for the new owners anyway. LOL.
deb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.