Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is safe to say, I think, that our Boards are going to be inundated on Christmas Day and the days immediately following.

A lot of our new visitors will be first-time posters - people who just opened their Kindles and have questions, need help troubleshooting, or are just excited to share their joy.

How we can make this a great experience for our new visitors? In particular, I'm pondering how we can build a relationship with them that makes them want to return to the boards, even after their particular question is resolved.

There is already such a cameraderie on this site that most of this will probably occur naturally. Still, I'd appreciate any ideas you all have on this.

G

·
Free booze?

It's a no brainer, this is one of the nicest place on the internet. Like minded happy Kindlers will stay here of their own accord.  Others will just move on.

Expect a few trolls and deal with them accordingly.  Mainly the general posters ignore them and let the people with the moderator badge take care of them.

If we keep being our happy, friendly helpful selves, how could they not love us?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Making a section for "First Time Kindlers" would be a good idea, not exactly the introduction forum though, that's more for people who intend to stay. Or perhaps one just for techie/support questions. Make them obvious so that people would be steered that way, put the FAQ as a sticky, etc.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I would suggest we move the Introductions & Welcomes to the top of the Board listings in the Kindle Community Center--is this possible?  That should be one of the first places people go to.  Or maybe we need a place that is just for new Kindlers, and it could include the Introductions and Welcomes and also have some of the basics of being in the Kindleboards?  Just brainstorming feel free to tell me I need more caffeine...

Betsy

·
Registered
795 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Just brainstorming feel free to tell me I need more caffeine...

Betsy
Betsy I think what you need is another glass of bubbly. Just to remove any inhibitions and get your creative juices flowing.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I was about to suggest the same thing Betsy!! You beat me to it! There definitely needs to be something on the home page to catch the eye of the newcomers so that they can be directed to the right place.

·
Registered
509 Posts
We need to establish a Kindleboards Indoctrination Center. New visitors will be inculcated with accepted doctrine and then released to the general population.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Teninx said:
We need to establish a Kindleboards Indoctrination Center. New visitors will be inculcated with accepted doctrine and then released to the general population.
LOL! Will that work if they're wearing tinfoil hats?

Betsy

·
Registered
780 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I would suggest we move the Introductions & Welcomes to the top of the Board listings in the Kindle Community Center--is this possible? That should be one of the first places people go to. Or maybe we need a place that is just for new Kindlers, and it could include the Introductions and Welcomes and also have some of the basics of being in the Kindleboards? Just brainstorming feel free to tell me I need more caffeine...

Betsy
I think this is a good idea too. Maybe copy some of the technical/problem solving threads there also so the newbies don't have to search or maybe just links to the other threads. Just my 2 cents

Lynn L

·
Registered
679 Posts
Free booze? I didn't get any free booze when i joined... I want free booze....

I like betsy's idea!

G

·
Teninx said:
We need to establish a Kindleboards Indoctrination assimilation Center. New visitors will be inculcated with accepted doctrine and then released to the general population.
I fixed the error. Resistance is futile.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Vampyre said:
I fixed the error. Resistance is futile.
I shall be known in the future as Sixty Five of Nine Hundred Three.

Ann

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think Mikuto and Betsy got it right in one. Pinning the New Kindle Owner thread or whatever it would be named at the top and separating it out from Introductions would be good, in my opinion. This is a very friendly and supportive Board so I think many new owners/visitors will continue to participate. Board members have been very tolerant and helpful to new owners (co-dependents? beginning addicts?) and it really helps that we have permanent FAQs and help topics on the Board that new folks can be directed to. Making a clearly named subforum (?) for technical help questions for new addicts Kindelers is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I agree with Betsy's idea also. I definitely think Intro/Welcome should be moved to the top of the page. We have many new members that introduce themselves in another post and then have to be directed to Intro/Welcome. I think it would add excitement to the new XMAS Kindler's to have a special section for them and we could combine the two later.

Linda

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is very helpful -thanks for the good thinking.

Here are some suggestions, inspired by the above:

1. We (temporarily) move the Introductions & Welcomes Board to the top of the board list - as a way of encouraging new members to post there and tell us a bit about themselves.

2. We put a sticky at the top of the I & W board, like "New to Kindle? New to KindleBoards? Read this!". In that post, we have a welcoming message, with a few tips about useful areas of the boards like the FAQ. And encouraging them to say hello through a post in the I & W board. And if they're having troubles, we'll advise them to first see the FAQ board, and if that doesn't address their question then to try the search box to find related posts, and if that doesn't work, then to [post their question in the Let's Talk Kindle board]*.

3. *Or... is it time for us to consider having a new board for Technical Support and Troubleshooting...? Right now most of those types of problems get posted in the Let's Talk Kindle board.

4. Over the course of those busy days we mods and members try to welcome the many new faces that we're likely to see.

5. I can add a News Item to the top of the main board index - which is the first page they see when they come to the boards. Right now it has a reminder about the Link-Maker tool. I'll replace that with a short message welcoming people who recently received or acquired Kindles.

6. We'll promptly moderate out any trolls that might drop in. This is not the time for us to tolerate rabble-rousers looking for a place to stir up dust.

7. Would it be helpful to have a "First Steps Out of the Box" post? That gives guidelines for people who may have never had anything like this. How to set up their Amazon account, walk them through downloading their first book, etc..?

8. ?? I'm sure we'll think of more, but those seem like helpful ways for us to be manage the surge.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts