Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever written a prequel because your readers were interested in the characters' backstory? The most critical aspect of my book's reviews is that the story doesn't explore their childhood. Because of that, I'm thinking of writing a prequel (novella) that explores the characters and the events leading up to a lynching.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The green book in my signature is the origin story for one of my secondary characters.

My Nano book from last year was the first part in a prequel trilogy for another character. :)

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Yes.  Wayne did just that. 

·
Registered
69 Posts
Moist_Tissue said:
Has anyone ever written a prequel because your readers were interested in the characters' backstory? The most critical aspect of my book's reviews is that the story doesn't explore their childhood. Because of that, I'm thinking of writing a prequel (novella) that explores the characters and the events leading up to a lynching.
I am currently doing it. My first book, Kill Code, had a group of assassins called The Black Hand. Each member specialized in a certain way of killing. So far, those books are more popular than Kill Code.

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
161 Posts
KL_Phelps said:
I haven't yet, but I will be. A fair number of the readers of my Kat Parker series have asked 'what happened in Vegas?' So I'm hoping to answer that question for them this year.
Is the answer, "What happened in Vegas stays in Vegas"? ;D

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Twice now. People wanted to see the starts of Darkness for two of my villains after I did one for another. I'm not sure I'll do it again because both went way too far for the kind of stories I want to put out.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I uploaded a prequel to my series (currently 10 books, not including the prequel) last fall and was happy to find that Amazon allowed me to call it Book 0.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do not accept VerticalScope's Terms Of Service on Kboards, and have asked for my account to be deleted, along with all of my posts.

If you are here as a result of a Google search, leave now. The owners of this site are interested only in your possible ad revenue.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm actually just about to publish mine. It's only a short story, and no one has actually asked for it. I just thought it would be fun to have this piece of the story out there as it includes a scene that's mentioned by the characters several times during book 1.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just had a request for a prequel. Personally, I'm not big into reading them, so I probably won't. But I'm also not into reading all the little side stories that get published about minor characters from a series either. Although, I know many people enjoy them. And there has to be something said for adding to a series. If fans really want more and are willing to buy it... well... seems like a pretty safe move.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have. It's from a different character's POV, but then all the books in that series are from a different character. I've found it's sold okay. It is a novella. It's done more than enough to pay for the costs I gained publishing it, but it's not a huge money maker. People who love that character though really love having a book just for her.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I plan on doing this twice after my first book is released. A lot of the characters have rich back stories that I wanted to tell before I moved forward. I know it's a little backwards in releasing it like that (Book 1 would actually be book 3 chronologically), but I think I make up for that by alluding to the future (like past book 1) in book 3. If that makes sense. Basically, all the stories could be standalones, but they make even more sense stringed together. After I put out the two prequels, I'll move forward with wrapping up the series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts