Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Lexus Luke said:
Yes, no, maybe?

Can a new author set up an ebook for presale?

No one pays until they get a book, right?
At first back in the fall, I got a "yes" from KDP to set up The Gaslight Journal for pre-release, and then they wrote back to say no, but promised they would have the future capability.

I did mine through my web-site and PayPal:

Go to the web-page here to see how I set up the page, and then you will see the link for PayPal and how I set that up so folks could choose their version, which I will then mail to them once September 1 rolls around.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You can do presale on your own site. I have ecommerce capabilities (my other hat says "web developer"). I raised $2500 on a deluxe presale package (raw manuscript/autographed paperback/ebook) for my first book and another $500 or so more on plainer paperback pre-orders. I didn't presale ebooks just because you get them immediately anyway. :)

I'll be opening presale packages on book two pretty soon here. I'm hoping it goes as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dara England said:
I do wish presales were an option through KDP. It'd be so nice to get that head start.
EGGSactly.

The issue with being able to pre-order a digital book isn't one of availability, I believe it's one of momentum concerning marketing. If folks are able to pre-order a book, and I believe I'm going to change this, then I think it fair that they get to possess the actual book earlier than the masses who wait for the official release date. I think I've just decided to set the pre-order date for 9/1, and the official release date as 9/15, and that way my pre-orderers can get their reviews up on Amazon long before the official release date so as to create buzz. And in that way, generate momentum that will hopefully be in full swing by the official release date.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. Opus, what do you use to deliver the books? eJunkie? I've got a nonfiction ebook that is available as a PDF through eJunkie. I have to say, it's a pain in the butt sometimes as some people have difficulty downloading it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
J.D. Pasco said:
I remember one author saying he had pre-sale in KDP because he knows someone there.
Then he's not being honest with you. The ONLY people KDP has done a pre-order for, has been two people: Stephen King, and Joe Konrath. I know, because I'm friends with Joe and it was on his recommendation that I try to set up a pre-order for The Gaslight Journal. And it was the KDP rep who shared this with me. That's how I know they're going to do it in the future, but it's not available now.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Lexus Luke said:
Interesting. Opus, what do you use to deliver the books? eJunkie? I've got a nonfiction ebook that is available as a PDF through eJunkie. I have to say, it's a pain in the butt sometimes as some people have difficulty downloading it.
It's simpler than that.

Did you know you can "publish" to Smashwords and then simply hide the book so it won't sell? After I upload, then I download the .mobi, .prc and .epub files to my computer. Once it's time for the book to "ship", I simply send out those device-ready files via e-mail. And the way I know who gets which copy is to check PayPal where they were required to choose a version before paying. I did that on purpose when I was setting up the buy now button.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts