Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh... I know that a well-crafted press release can do wonders. But I always have a hard time with a new book release as a "Press-Release-Worthy" event. Having worked at a newspaper for several years, I know that a new book being published isn't anything to write home about. It just isn't that spectacular.

Now, if I'd written it with my one remaining finger, in a blizzard, on my deathbed, that might be different. Editors would eat that up. But trust me when I say, I have all ten fingers and I'm quite healthy. No editor-goodness from me on that front.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for beefing up a PR for the release of my new book? Is there a spin that I can put on it (other than Backwoods Okie Learns to Read **AND** Write) that could give the book launch a boost?

Here's what I have currently.
TULSA, OK -- Tulsa author, Jerry Hanel, is set to release Thaloc Has a Body, the second of the Brodie Wade series, a new paranormal mystery.

Brodie Wade, the main character of the series, is a paranormal investigator. He sees into the supernatural, even when he isn't trying to. This ability has left him mentally and emotionally scarred. He wants desperately to be free from The Truth; the name he has given to the visions that haunt him. But in the end, he forms a symbiotic relationship with The Truth, solving crimes and staying just sane enough to stay out of the Institution.

The books are geared toward young adults and adults and are family-friendly. They are each self-contained stories that don't rely on the previous books to understand. However, as a whole, they form a much larger picture.

In the second novel, Brodie bumps into a character from the first book, Jamie Stanford, and must choose between love and friendship as he approaches the date of his own predicted death.

Jerry Hanel has seen moderate success with Death Has a Name, and hopes to increase his exposure and fan base with Thaloc Has a Body. For more information on the Brodie Wade series, you can visit the author's website at http://www.jerryandcheryl.net/writing

The first book, Death Has a Name, has been available for purchase since January of this year. The second, Thaloc Has a Body, is scheduled for release on July 30, 2011.

# # #

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just did my first press release with this one, and I wasn't sure how to make an ebook release news, either. I went with the "local author sees dream come true" angle.

Then I didn't have the guts to send it anywhere, anyway, so there's that...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you do any local research on the paranormal investigator piece? If yes, that could be a way to develop the hook, at least for the local papers. Something like, "Local author finds inspiration on real-life ghost hunts with Tulsa-based paranormal investigator"  -- that way the release actually pitches a potential story angle rather than just simply pitch the book itself. Just an idea! :) Wishing you much luck.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobynB said:
Did you do any local research on the paranormal investigator piece? If yes, that could be a way to develop the hook, at least for the local papers. Something like, "Local author finds inspiration on real-life ghost hunts with Tulsa-based paranormal investigator" -- that way the release actually pitches a potential story angle rather than just simply pitch the book itself. Just an idea! :) Wishing you much luck.
Sadly, no... but that's a GREAT idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.