Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any of you who DON'T like the K2 and regret buying it?

Is there anyone planning on sending it back?

If you sold your KK, do you regret it and want another KK?

I know there are many people who were on the fence about upgrading and were waiting for reviews to come in first before making up their minds.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Are there any of you who DON'T like the K2 and regret buying it?

Is there anyone planning on sending it back?

If you sold your KK, do you regret it and want another KK?

I know there are many people who were on the fence about upgrading and were waiting for reviews to come in first before making up their minds.
I'll go first: No regrets at all! You'll have to pry Bella from my hands. She's not going anywhere.

Edgar who? Just kidding. There will always be a place in my heart <sniff> for him.

The only reason I may regret selling him so quickly is I think my middle daughter would like one. I could have kept him to pass on to her...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have a K1 and a K2 and I'm keeping both of them.  The K2 is light and sleek  and sexy, and the K1 is roomy, dual batteries and a much better dresser (I need a better cover for K2 to fix that).  One will become my travel one/purse Kindle and one will become my read at home Kindle.  I'm still experimenting to see which one become which.  I figure they will tell me when they are ready as to which role they want.  Do regret either one, no.  Will I give up one, no. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Count me in with you.  VERY happy with my new K2.  No real regrets selling the K1, other than the fact that I sold it so fast and had to do without for 2 solid weeks.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Love the K2.... contemplating if I should keep or sell K1.....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I so far am very happy with K2, especially given how comfortable it is to hold. 
I just mailed out K1 yesterday so am still in mourning.  I also am nervous because I once was scammed by a buyer on ebay.  So, I think I will be on pins and needles until I have confirmation that it was received and that there are no problems. 

·
Registered
33 Posts
bought k2 for my daughter (and because i needed it to prototype for my ereader case site - www.girdedturtle.com- soon to be live) - i was duly impressed. being somewhat ham handed- i have been accused of having baseball mitts for hands- i was apprehensive about the new form factor. got it earlier today- and I was impressed. the size is only nominally different height and width, from k1 which was not clear in the leak pictures, and thier is lots of "free" space to hold it with- the 3/8ths thick is still a little tough for those of us with big hands, but as i indicated above, i was presently surprised. briefly i thought, maybe, i would keep k2 and give k1 to my daughter when she got home from college, but all things considered, i am going to stick with K1 until k3 and give k2 to my daughter for her birthday.

love all the accolades the Amazon is getting for  Kindle, did anyone see the article in the NYTimes?

·
Registered
501 Posts
edfleiss said:
bought k2 for my daughter (and because i needed it to prototype for my ereader case site - www.girdedturtle.com- soon to be live) - i was duly impressed. being somewhat ham handed- i have been accused of having baseball mitts for hands- i was apprehensive about the new form factor. got it earlier today- and I was impressed. the size is only nominally different height and width, from k1 which was not clear in the leak pictures, and thier is lots of "free" space to hold it with- the 3/8ths thick is still a little tough for those of us with big hands, but as i indicated above, i was presently surprised. briefly i thought, maybe, i would keep k2 and give k1 to my daughter when she got home from college, but all things considered, i am going to stick with K1 until k3 and give k2 to my daughter for her birthday.

love all the accolades the Amazon is getting for Kindle, did anyone see the article in the NYTimes?
edfleiss - I clicked on your website - the Asian Cross case looks nice - when are you "up and running?" Are you going to do cases for K2 only, or will you make them for K1? Looking forward to seeing your products!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
LuvMy4Brats:  Great thread.
Gables Girl:  You go girl!!  I sing your praises for keeping both.  Brilliant.  A surefire way to get the best of both worlds.

Did anyone know the answer to my Q...about if K1 Whispernet signal will improve....or is it only for K2?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sjc said:
LuvMy4Brats: Great thread.
Gables Girl: You go girl!! I sing your praises for keeping both. Brilliant. A surefire way to get the best of both worlds.

Did anyone know the answer to my Q...about if K1 Whispernet signal will improve....or is it only for K2?
I think they expanded the whole network, not just for K2. I'm not 100% though.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
WolfePrincess73 said:
Love my K1. Love my K2. Keeping both! ;D
That's me. I haven't quite figured out how I will use both of them, though. Still getting used to the new kid on the block.

L

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I have a K1 and a K2 and I'm keeping both of them. The K2 is light and sleek and sexy, and the K1 is roomy, dual batteries and a much better dresser (I need a better cover for K2 to fix that). One will become my travel one/purse Kindle and one will become my read at home Kindle. I'm still experimenting to see which one become which. I figure they will tell me when they are ready as to which role they want. Do regret either one, no. Will I give up one, no. :)
Me too! That's exactly what I plan on doing. There are features on each one that I really like, and I'm soooooooo attached to each one! I would feel like I was abandoning one of my family members if I had sold my Sookie K1 when Mackayla Lane K2 arrived!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought a K2 for my DH - I'm keeping the K1. So I've seen both, worked with both. The K2 is much better looking, IMO, but if we didn't need a second Kindle I would not upgrade for the sake of upgrading. For me it's essentially the same device, there aren't enough new features to make the $$$ spent worth it.

Now if it were a color screen or touch screen, I would be all over the upgrade. But for now, all you K1 owners, don't feel bad. I'm keeping my K1 and after seeing the K2, it's essentially the same device. It is an ebook reader, and not much different from your ebook reader. It does look better but honestly, I like holding the K1 better.

K2 owners, don't hit me. Including you, my sweet DH!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just spent some time using my K1 and K2 side by side. By the end of that time, the K2 was the one I picked up and took with me into the other room. (Don't tell my poor old K1, but it really was no contest. ;D)

That said, if a K2 had never come along I would have remained perfectly happy with my K1. I think both of them are great devices.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
sjc said:
LuvMy4Brats: Great thread.
Gables Girl: You go girl!! I sing your praises for keeping both. Brilliant. A surefire way to get the best of both worlds.

They used a different more powerful chip in the K2 for better Whispernet coverage, so the KK will not get any better. It's a hardware upgrade unfortunately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I guess I may be in the minority -- I'm ok with my K2, but I think I like my K1 slightly better.  I still have both, and have only spent the afternoon kindling with my K2 as it arrived today, but I have some issues with it that are making me think twice.  First, the K2 screen seems to be the wrong size -- it's too small for the machine.  Once my in-laws gave my kids some inexpensive hand-held video games that were supposed to *look* like a Gameboy, but the screen seemed too small for the unit itself and thus seemed cheap.  The games were great and entertaining and the kids had fun, but something was off.  That's how I feel about the K2 -- and more in person than having seen the photos on Amazon and elsewhere over the past two weeks.  I mean, c'mon, what would it have taken to extend the screen 1/2" in any direction to fill up the white space?  Second, I'm having a hard time getting used to pushing "in" rather than "out" to advance the pages.  I understand the reasoning for the change, but it is taking some getting used to.  Third, the "push the power button to make it sleep or wake it up" thing is difficult for those of us with long nails.  It won't push that easily without me hooking my nail around it and then moving it -- takes a great deal more work than on my K1, where I could push Alt + font size with my thumbs.  Fourth, I miss the button to turn wireless off.  Fifth, I've found I actually like the scroll wheel MUCH better than the button thing (5-way controller) on the K2 -- it was much easier to use and more intuitive.  One problem with this may be that I have arthritis and moving the controller is more difficult than moving the wheel.

Things I do like about the K2 are the size and thinness.  It is very comfortable to hold, even without a case -- with my K1, I couldn't hold it easily without a case (that arthritis thing again).  I also like the new wireless -- it is much faster than my K1, although that may be due to the area in which we live (semi-rural).  

All in all, many of the issues I listed may be things I will simply get used to over time -- I've given myself a week to use the K2 exclusively and, after that time, if I still prefer the K1, I will send the K2 back to Amazon.  I had two K1's and sold one in anticipation of the K2 -- right now I am sorry that I did, but time will tell.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts