Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the exchange rate really altered by such a large percentage? Or is it price increases by the back door. On a 99c book the royalty has increased from 0.22 to 0.26. 

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I noticed that, too. The current exchange rate is about $1 = 62p, so I'm not sure why the sudden increase, unless it's simply a price hike by Amazon.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I noticed that too Decon. But I also noticed the books that Amazon put on offer for 49pence in the UK have remained at that price!?!?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mel Comley said:
I noticed that too Decon. But I also noticed the books that Amazon put on offer for 49 pence in the UK have remained at that price!?!?
I reckon it's time for emails to ask for a more detailed explanation. From what I can work out thats an increase of 23% on the old price if I've got the math right. Anyone good at Math out there that can work it out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just checked mine and all but one short story has increased from 70p to 86p.  Don't know why they've left one book the same price.  There's only one book that hasn't sold a copy yet, but it's not that one.

Paul

·
Registered
965 Posts
They've been flipping one of my books back and forth between free and pay, while the others are stuck at free. They are active little buggers over there, no matter how inscrutable their ways.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
There's a notice in the dashboard.

Important information about pricing

Setting and updating amazon.co.uk and amazon.de list prices based on US Dollar list price is now easier than before. If you already have books selling in amazon.co.uk and amazon.de with list prices set automatically based on US Dollar list price, your list prices may have been updated. Learn more

The "Learn more" pop-up says this:

* Amazon.co.uk and amazon.de list prices that are set automatically based on your US Dollar list price are converted using the exchange rates in effect on the date that they were initially calculated. If the converted list price would be outside of the minimum or maximum list price we accept for the currency, your list price will converted so that it is equal to the applicable minimum or maximum list price for that currency. You can check the list prices automatically set for your existing books by clicking "edit rights, royalty and pricing" link under actions of each title. You will see updated prices that are converted from your US Dollar list price using the exchange rates from 7/8/2011.
* The list price you provide is VAT-EXCLUSIVE. The VAT we will add for sales to customers in EU countries from amazon.co.uk and amazon.de will be 15%. VAT rates, where applicable, vary for other countries.

For more information about list price conversion, VAT, royalties, and Delivery Costs, see the Terms and Conditions, Pricing Page and List Price Requirements.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Basically... the minimum you can price at on Amazon UK is 75p plus VAT = 86p. But, we have been able to circumvent this by agreeing to have the UK price based on the US price dollar conversion (which made it 71p). Amazon have now closed this loophole.

Those with books still at 49p are like that because they're books have been price matched with other sites like Smashwords. Lexi's books are like this so she might be able to affirm that if she sees this.

G

·
Exchange rates constantly fluctuate, and there's also the possibility that Amazon changed something about how they do they converting that could affect the rates or costs.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will be interesting to see how the UK readers take to this. No doubt it will crop up on Amazon forum discussions in the UK. If it was a level playing field for all books, then great. They should allow all short stories to be 45p

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
NickSpalding said:
Basically... the minimum you can price at on Amazon UK is 75p plus VAT = 86p. But, we have been able to circumvent this by agreeing to have the UK price based on the US price dollar conversion (which made it 71p). Amazon have now closed this loophole.

Those with books still at 49p are like that because they're books have been price matched with other sites like Smashwords. Lexi's books are like this so she might be able to affirm that if she sees this.
Nick, I'm not sure why Amazon has lowered the price of Replica from 99p to 49p. It's $0.99 at Smashwords, and I can't find that it's cheaper anywhere else. I priced Remix at 86p, and Amazon reduced it ages ago to 69p, then 49p. I asked them why at the time, and they went all mysterious.

Lexi

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yep, they closed the loophole where you tick the box to match the US price and end up with a minimum of 70p or so. That minimum is now 86p.

Bit of a pain for short stories, but there you go.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lexi Revellian said:
Nick, I'm not sure why Amazon has lowered the price of Replica from 99p to 49p. It's $0.99 at Smashwords, and I can't find that it's cheaper anywhere else. I priced Remix at 86p, and Amazon reduced it ages ago to 69p, then 49p. I asked them why at the time, and they went all mysterious.

Lexi
Are you signed in to the partner distribution through Smashwords? Only if you are iTunes Bookstore UK has a nasty habit of rounding prices down to to 49p / 99p / £1.49 / £1.99 ...and so on. If it's 99 cents at Smashwords, iTunes is likely to round it down to 49p. That's why Amazon have reduced it too. Might be worth emailing both KDP Support and Smashwords if you want to get a higher royalty.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
NickSpalding said:
Are you signed in to the partner distribution through Smashwords? Only if you are iTunes Bookstore UK has a nasty habit of rounding prices down to to 49p / 99p / £1.49 / £1.99 ...and so on. If it's 99 cents at Smashwords, iTunes is likely to round it down to 49p. That's why Amazon have reduced it too. Might be worth emailing both KDP Support and Smashwords if you want to get a higher royalty.
I'm still getting the same royalty payment as when they were the price I set. I thought maybe it was just Amazon kindly promoting my books...

Lexi

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lexi Revellian said:
I'm still getting the same royalty payment as when they were the price I set. I thought maybe it was just Amazon kindly promoting my books...

Lexi
Really? Bloody hell you're lucky! I thought you only got the royalty based on the price Amazon charged on the site. I remember they changed the policy a while back so price matched books only got the price matched royalty rate. You must've slipped through the cracks :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think I'll bother sending an email to complain. Just checked my books; the sales of Survival Instinct & Lunch Break Thrillers in the UK and they have taken off big style today.  

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
NickSpalding said:
Really? Bloody hell you're lucky! I thought you only got the royalty based on the price Amazon charged on the site. I remember they changed the policy a while back so price matched books only got the price matched royalty rate. You must've slipped through the cracks :)
Difference between 35% and 70% agreement - Amazon pay royalties on List Price on the first always (except price-matched to free only), on the second they pay royalties on the Sale Price.

·
Registered
897 Posts
nomesque said:
Difference between 35% and 70% agreement - Amazon pay royalties on List Price on the first always (except price-matched to free only), on the second they pay royalties on the Sale Price.
Aaaah.... Gotcha :)

That's interesting. I suppose they must have some kind of clause on where the 35% stops. Otherwise you could price your book much higher - say at £20, get price matched to 49p and still get thirty five percent of the £20!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts