Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all  :)

I'm not actually a "Kindler" yet, but I plan to be soon, and I had a question (that probably has a very obvious answer).

I was doing a search for a book just to see if it was available in Kindle format, just to sort of test the waters (if you're wondering, the book was "Quo Vadis?" by Henryk Sienkiewicz), and to my (sort of) surprise, it was available. Anyway, to avoid drawing out the point, it was available either for free, or for 99 cents, or for 3 dollars, or 4 dollars, or 6 dollars, etc... what is the reason for this? I was under the impression that the books in Kindle format were basically just the text of the books with no bells-and-whistles. If that's true, then what's the reason for the difference in price of several books? I know that when buying a book in an actual bookstore, you're able to find it for several different prices based on the type of binding, jacket, edition, and all that good stuff - but since that sort of thing is a non-issue with the Kindle, it seems like all editions of a book would cost just about the same.
Thanks, and I'm sorry if I've asked a stupid question...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
They are available at different prices because multiple people have "kindilized" it- put it in kindle format and uploaded it to amazon. They are most likely all the same format wise but check samples first. :)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
And that generally only happens with books that are in the public domain...in a lot of cases, the formatting varies widely, as some people are more careful about making it look good, whereas others are just trying to make a quick buck before people get wise to the bad formatting.

If it's a public domain book, there are other places you can get it, well-formatted, for free.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so, if you take the time to eBookify some old text, you can put it up on amazon and people can buy it?  for some reason that just doesnt sound on the up and up....what is Amazon's cut?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have that book on kindle and only one of them is formatted correctly, with the notes working, which on a work this high level and translated is important to me. I'll try to find which one it is and post the link. My advice for now, since you don't have a kindle yet, is on any translated work, even if public domain, to use the samples, because a lot of times having the notes to use is the difference between saying you've "read" War and Peace , and actually enjoying it ;D. JMO ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Tranquil Ape said:
so, if you take the time to eBookify some old text, you can put it up on amazon and people can buy it? for some reason that just doesnt sound on the up and up....what is Amazon's cut?
If you can legitimately use the content (either you have the erights or it is out of copyright) and you register as a publisher and deploy to Amazon through their DTP process, you can sell the book. Amazon gets 65% and the publisher gets 35%.

L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts