Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a great time using Tom, the robo voice.  Although the reading is lacking in dramatic presence, it helps me keep up with a book while I'm at the gym, driving, etc., then I can get right back to my book, on the right page even!  I hope most authors opt to allow text-to-speech -- any that don't will face my wrath!

I like that Tom (I actually prefer his counterpart, Thomasina) is so boring at reading that I sometimes forget I'm listening - the method of delivery is unimportant, and I'm lost in the book, which is perfect.

But I have to admit, I have noticed a couple of Thomasina words that are so hilarious, they are priceless. 

My favorites so far:

frijoles - Thomasina calls them Fridge-Ills
Denys (man's name, sounds like Dennis) - Thomasina calls him "Denies"

Have you heard any funny ones yet?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
So what are you reading with a Denys? I just finished The Phoenix by Ruth Sims and the main character in that was Kit St. Denys.

As for the reading aloud, I've tried it a few times but it bugs me, so I've sort of given up on it. Unfortunately, I didn't hear any funny words in my few test tries.

L

·
Registered
298 Posts
Showing mine off to someone, I had it read something from the NY Times... it said fame-ohs for the word "famous."

·
Registered
704 Posts
I actually like the read to me feature. I prefer the male voice. The female one's tone is just annoying to me.
The pronounciations are kind of funny , I am reading "Lilac Bus" and am amused by how he pronounces some words. Too bad you can't give them an accent for the country the book is about.
  Kdawna

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
While shaving and brushing my teeth one morning last week, I had my Kindle read to me from Leslie's FAQ book. It sold me that there are times where I think I'll use this. Probably not for 'pleasure' reading, but I could see having it read technical manuals or how-to guides. I'm looking forward to playing with it more.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Harvey said:
While shaving and brushing my teeth one morning last week, I had my Kindle read to me from Leslie's FAQ book. It sold me that there are times where I think I'll use this. Probably not for 'pleasure' reading, but I could see having it read technical manuals or how-to guides. I'm looking forward to playing with it more.
The thought of you having MY book read to you while you are shaving and brushing your teeth just makes me very very happy for some odd reason! Thanks, Harvey!

L

·
Registered
599 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I find it funny when the voice pronounces Amazon.com as "Amazon point com," and someone replied that when there's a full URL, it knows to say "dot"... weird :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the text to speech more than I thought I would.  I like to be read the news as I get ready for work.  But the pronounciation for Obama is similar to Alabama.....which is very painful to listen to.

And I was listening to a murder mystery and when they spoke of cleaning the wound it was pronounced being wound up.  Funny.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I find the pauses and such funny yet annoying.  :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leslie said:
So what are you reading with a Denys? I just finished The Phoenix by Ruth Sims and the main character in that was Kit St. Denys.

As for the reading aloud, I've tried it a few times but it bugs me, so I've sort of given up on it. Unfortunately, I didn't hear any funny words in my few test tries.

L
Denys Finch-Hatton in "Out of Africa" by Isak Dineson. Great read.

I forgot to mention how, when words have two different pronunciations (read, lead, etc.), Tommie seems to always get it wrong. I mean, you'd think at least half the time she'd be right, no? Well, no.

For some reason these just crack me up . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts