Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my Kindle 2 this weekend and I'm excited!!!  I had made a book "shopping List" while browsing at Amazon the past few weeks.  Several of the books have went up?!!!  I don't see why it would cost more 1-2 weeks later?  Example I pre-bought Run for your life and it was on my Kindle 2 when it arrived.  I paid 9.99 for it which I think is a lot since same as in the store, but now it's 11.99.  Also love the book Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson, when put on my list was 3.99 now 7.89!! Is it because I actually have a Kindle 2 Now and was just looking before?  I don't mind paying for the books, and I knew from the beginning a lot were 9.99 . I didn't realize they go up instead of going down,  staying the same or go on sale like books in the store. Does this happen often?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Books frequently go on sale.  I had the fun experience of buying a Assassin's Apprentice for $6.49 the week before the started giving it away for free for a month.  (Which has made me a little hesitant to buy the first book in a series until I'm ready to start reading it.)  There seems to always be a special sale, free books, etc. going on, so make sure you check the Amazon blog and check the threads here about deals others have discovered.

The book that was $9.99 was it in hardback?  It may have been $9.99 while on the bestsellers list, but once it fell off, it went back to full price.  The price may go back down when the book becomes available in paperback. 

Lara Amber

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Part of it might be marketing technique. You see a book and wait, then the price goes up. So you keep an eye on it and when it goes on sale again, you snatch it up because, hey, the price might go up again. Revolving sales can help a reader pull the trigger on a purchase, otherwise they might wait for a very, very long time...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
livin4maui said:
Is it because I actually have a Kindle 2 Now and was just looking before? I don't mind paying for the books, and I knew from the beginning a lot were 9.99 . I didn't realize they go up instead of going down, staying the same or go on sale like books in the store. Does this happen often?
Yep. In fact, I bet that you'll see similar price fluctuations on DTBs and other merchandise on amazon, if you monitor it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
marianner said:
Yep. In fact, I bet that you'll see similar price fluctuations on DTBs and other merchandise on amazon, if you monitor it.
You do. It drives me crazy on video games, especially now that Amazon has discontinued its 30-day price match guarantee (a truly boneheaded decision made by a bunch of incompetent bean counters to save a few bucks, but at what cost?).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Prices do change. I have two books (that I know of, haven't checked all of them) that I bought for $9.99 and now the price for each one is ~$13. I would suggest that if you see a book you want and it is in your "price range" (many people won't pay over a certain amount for a book) then you should go ahead and buy it, because if you want and come back later, the price may very well have gone up.

L

·
Registered
220 Posts
marianner said:
Oh, yes. I've kept several hundred items in my "save for later" part of the main store shopping cart for years. I check almost daily and the prices do fluctuate quite a bit.

Some move dramatically due to a big sale - those I scoop up promptly. I've bought entire series on DVD a season at a time (often not in order because not all seasons were on sale at the same time) but over time but finally owning the the whole series for around $10 a season!

Others do bizarre regular shifts between 3 - 5 sets of prices on regular basis it is fascinating in an abstract way.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I discovered www.shoppingnotes.com and that has helped me tremendously!!!  I add in the Kindle books that I want and I set it up to email me if the price goes up OR down.  It is a great tool to use and it is free...

·
Registered
130 Posts
KindleKay (aka #1652) said:
I discovered www.shoppingnotes.com and that has helped me tremendously!!! I add in the Kindle books that I want and I set it up to email me if the price goes up OR down. It is a great tool to use and it is free...
Seconded! It's a great tool for tracking prices on K books!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts