Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting upset by the prices of books for the Kindle---some are as high as 15 dollars---you can get a paperback cheaper than that or a good condition hard cover. Part pf my reason for wanting the kindle was reasonable prices (I think the standard 10 bucks a book is reasonable enough).  It's getting so I might just go back to buying paperbacks and reading in the bathtub again

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
In the Book Bazaar we have a thread for free books and another one for bargain books. Plus many of our member-authors have their books on sale, some as low as 99 cents.

You can be happily reading for months with inexpensive books. I have bought exactly one book that cost more than $9.99 in a year+ of Kindle ownership. Most of the books I have bought have been $7 or less.

L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeh, but keep in mind that typically the higher priced books are the newly released books, which means you're still saving off the hardcover price. They know that some people are willing to pay more because they "have to have it now" when it's just been released! Also, if it's newly released it hasn't been out long enough to become a NYT bestseller, which will eventually help get the price down to 9.99.

Plus, all the books they and the publishers/authors offer for free, or really low prices, tend to offset the occasional higher priced purchase for me.
I've found just waiting a few weeks and making a point to check back for pricing helps tremendously. Just be patient.

And if you really want the book only you can rationalize paying a little more for it if you feel it necessary. When I purchased my Kindle I had several paper books waiting to be read. But once I got spoiled by my Kindle I decided to sell those books back and repurchase the ebook if I really wanted to read it. For me, it's so much more enjoyable to read on my Kindle that I'm willing to occasionally pay a bit more for some of the ebooks. But that's just me...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I feel pretty fortunate that a lot of books I wanted to read were priced lower a few months ago.  I have such a stockpile now I should be able to read for five or six years.  I think with the Kindle and other ereaders getting more attention that the market will eventually settle down and pricing will be more consistent.  I can hope anyway.
deb

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I generally put them in my wish list and check back from time to time and when the price comes down I buy them.. . . it usually doesn't take it too long...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
rho, I do that as well.  I have a wish list for the books I want to be kindlized, and a shopping list for books that are available for Kindle, but I would like to see the price come down.  I check both lists pretty regularly. 
deb

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The prices don't bother me, no.

That isn't to say that a higher price never dissuades me, but I think we do that all the time -- judge if an item is worth the price. From the grocery store, to a restaurant, to a clothing rack, to a hotel room. I don't begrudge a pub the price, if they can get it, but might decide to hold off. $15 is  about the price when I weigh the decision at all.

I think there are a number of reasons to choose a Kindle, but cost savings on books was honestly not on my list. I can understand how I might be more irritated if it had been, and if my reading preferences then took me to new releases -- the ones that tend to be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've purchased 179 books for my Kindle at an average price of $1.027 per book. Yes, there are books I might like that are more expensive than I'll pay but there are far more books available in my price range than I'll ever read. I also find that some of the too expensive books go on sale now and then.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I got a lot of paperbacks at our library book sale today for .05 each so I have those to read while I wait for the prices to drop a little on the ones I want. Now I just have to figure out if I can even read paperbacks anymore. I could hardly see the print on some of the ones I scanned!

Melissa

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm currently reading through Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (darn you KB'ers for ever getting me started on an 11-books-so-far series!).  I've checked the most recent paperbacks on my shelves, and the reality is that the prices for all these books are the same or lower than the last 30 or so DTBs I purchased pre-Kindle.  The newest Dresden is still in hardcover, and yes, that means it's more expensive than the others.  Generally, the new releases start at a little over $10-15 (still less than I've paid for a hardcover in the last few years), and drop to $9.99 within a few weeks of release.

So my choices really haven't changed:  I can either buy the ebook at higher "hardcover" prices when it's first released, or I can wait for the paperback DTB to be released, and then the ebook price will be similar.  If I want the pleasure of reading the latest books right now, I'll have to pay extra to do so.

Since I didn't buy the Kindle expecting to save money, I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I get a lot of the free and cheap books.  There are plenty of them to keep me reading and happy.  If I want to read an expensive book I get it from the Library.  I am just not going to pay 10-15 bucks for a Kindle book. 

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gregor said:
I vote with my wallet. If it's cheaper as a DTB or likely to be read by someone else from my family or friends, I buy that version. Used is a great option, too.
Excellent point. I read *most* of my books on the Kindle, but not all. Friends buy me books, I check out books from the library. The books I want on the Kindle are largely available at a reasonable price. There are many "channels" in which one can read the books one wants.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Yes, I've noticed a trend at Amazon over the past month or so of higher-priced kindle books.  Sometimes they come down when they become best sellers, but not all books I want to read are best sellers.  I certainly have enough on my kindle and in my hardcover/paperback library that I haven't read yet.  But when I bought my kindle, Amazon used the 9.99 book price as a selling point.

I do have a lot of free books on my Kindle.  That doesn't mean that I would think it's OK for me to pay $16 for a kindle book.  I would sooner reserve and pick up from the public library.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Pumaann said:
Anyone else getting upset by the prices of books for the Kindle---some are as high as 15 dollars---you can get a paperback cheaper than that or a good condition hard cover. Part pf my reason for wanting the kindle was reasonable prices (I think the standard 10 bucks a book is reasonable enough). It's getting so I might just go back to buying paperbacks and reading in the bathtub again
I'm not upset. I didn't buy my Kindle with the idea of saving money. I was interested in saving space at home, giving my eyes a break with larger font sizes, and being able to travel with all of my reading material contained in one slim item in my handbag.

I never thought $9.99 would be the "standard" price. Amazon said, and still does, "New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise." Before I placed the order for my Kindle I browsed through Kindle books and found many that were $9.99, others that were more, and others that were less. The best way to avoid disappointment is to do your homework before you buy.

There are a lot of good ideas here for finding books at lower prices. Try some of them so you can make the most of your investment.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have only purchased a couple of books at $9.99.  I haven't paid more than that for a book and I won't.  I have bought a few trade paperbacks for $14.52, but that was a series I love.  Most of them have now been Kindleized for $9.99 or less. 

Everyone has to make their own decision as to what they are willing to pay.  I rarely paid new hardback price pre-K, only for a couple of series that I love.  Now, one of those series is Kindlelized and I haven't had to pay more than paperback price for any of them. 

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Most of the books that I have on my Kindle are books that I got for free, and all of the books that I bought have been $9.99 or less, so I've been lucky. I have yet to find a DTB book that I bought on my Kindle for less than what I paid for the Kindle edition (I think that makes sense). When I find something that I want on Kindle, sometimes I shop around to see if I can find it second-hand or on sale somewhere for less, but I never do. Of course, I live in a small town, so the selection of books in my local purchasing area isn't all that great (which is another reason that I love my Kindle).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts