Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from KDP that said they detected one of my books listed for less in UK on iTunes than on Amazon.co.uk. On iTunes it is 1.49 price tier. On Amazon, it is listed at the minimum 70% royalty price of 1.99. I can't set it to 1.99 on iTunes but I also can't set it to 1.49 on Amazon.co.uk (without setting it to 35% royalty option). Anyone else seen this? How did you solve it?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David VanDyke said:
You can't set the prices or you don't want to? Sounds like you may have to choose the lesser of the evils...
Maybe! But I recall Amazon allowing GBP 1.49 as the minimum price for 70% before. Is this a recent change?

I also assume others must have run into this problem and may have a solution.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I do believe the VAT messes with everything. And Amazon implemented it differently than all the other online retailers because that is what they do.

I, too, got an email from Amazon in late January about a lower price on Apple than Amazon and traced it back to the VAT implementation. Apple adds VAT automatically into your price. You set it at $3.99 on Apple and that includes VAT.  Meanwhile, with Amazon you set it at $3.99 and they add VAT on top of the price. So, for example it is showing $4.12 (just an example). So then, you get the email from Amazon about the price discrepancy showing a lower price at Apple than Amazon.  You have to tweak the price and account for it in your total with Amazon. So, it complicates things. Where before I didn't worry about price discrepancies on the European side; now I have to take that in account. Or, anticipate Amazon will be sending me a stern message regarding the price differences (like the one you just got) when it's all due to the darn VAT tax and the way Amazon has chosen to apply it. 

I used to change prices (price pulse) all the time on Amazon with my books. I've shied away from that with the implementation of the VAT tax for this very reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts