Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was price matched at Amazon to $.99.  As you would expect, sales went up and did my rank.  As high as 3000 at one point.  I think the most I sold in a day was 24, so while not great, certainly better than I'm doing now. 

Price match stopped 5 days ago or so, price went back to $2.99 and since then I've been selling 2-5 a day.  Close to the same $, but my rank is down to 23,000 and sinking fast.  I intended to put it back at .99 when the 2nd book is up, in July...

I don't want to stay at $.99 forever, but I was hoping getting that high would help get some help from Amazon, but that doesn't seem the case.  So a couple of questions...

1. Does it take a while to get into the Also Boughts?

2.  Did the price go back up too soon, and now it's too late?

3.  What would you do?  .99 or 2.99?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
1. From what I've seen, it does take awhile to get into the "also bought"s.

2. I've heard that you need to try any pricing experiment for at least a full month to get good numbers.  It gives a good sample size.

3. I would price at $2.99.  (Or more.  Even for my own work, I'm putting short stories at $0.99, novels for $3.99.  Though I'm putting my novel at $2.99 for the month of June to see how that affects sales.  I'll probably do another sale when I have more books out in the series.)

From the reported numbers I've seen from others, I'm not convinced that low pricing would do you much good until you have more titles to benefit from the sale-as-marketing-push.

But then, I'm a newbie in self publishing, myself.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It's a dilemma, Julie, one I'm struggling with myself. I just wrote a blog post about my experiences which you can read here: http://cjarcher.blogspot.com/

In a nutshell, this is what's happened with me. In April I had Honor Bound at 99 cents. It did really well, reaching the low 1000's and getting into the Top 100 Historical Romance category which is a pretty big category. It was selling between 30 and 40 a day, sometimes over 50. The sequel, Kiss Of Ash, was priced at $2.99 and sales fluctuated between 10 and 25 per day. I decided to increase Honor Bound in May to $2.99. After Amazon stopped price matching, Honor Bound's sales slid down. And down. This last 2 weeks it's been selling 5 to 10 copies most days, sometimes less and sometimes more. So that's approximately one sixth of what I was earning when it was priced at 99 cents, roughly the break even point. The sequel, however, also suffered and sales of that dropped by half. I noticed my other books have also dipped.

So just yesterday I lowered the price of Honor Bound back to 99 cents. Putting the price at $2.99 for that 1 book was causing me to lose money across all my books.

But that's just my experience over a month or two. Others might have different experiences. Maybe I should have given it longer to see if it gained traction again, but I don't think it would have. I'm too new at this and don't have a dedicated fan base yet. I still need visibility and once Honor Bound dropped in ranking it was less visible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's an easier decision when you have more books involved, especially a series, and easier to see the effects too. I think I'm going to keep HB at $0.99, its sequel at $2.99 and if I ever write the third I might price it at $3.99 and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts