Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under another name I'm putting out some erotica short stories. They're between 3 and 6k words and therefore priced at $0.99. I'm thinking about bundling them up as I want to get into the 70% royalty bracket but I'm not sure how to do it.

I could get to 4 and bundle them for $2.99 (giving a $0.99 saving to the reader and nearly doubling my royalty)

or

I could wait till I have all 8 out and bundle them for $3.99/$4.99 making it pretty silly for the reader to buy one or two when they get a such a large saving on all 8 (and giving me the same royalty or more than if i sell them all individually for $0.99)

or

I could go with option one and then re-asses when I get the eighth book out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katie Elle said:
You'd have no problem selling shorts at $2.99 each and a bundle with a not that high discount off of that price.
That's an interesting idea. How many words do you go to for the $2.99 price point?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Katie Elle said:
My bestseller is 3500 words at $2.99. People pay for smut ;)
This is interesting to me. I just published my first book, a short erotica story of about 7000 words, and priced it at $0.99. I imagine you have to be established and make a name for yourself before you can successfully increase your prices on shorts, right?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rene Folsom said:
This is interesting to me. I just published my first book, a short erotica story of about 7000 words, and priced it at $0.99. I imagine you have to be established and make a name for yourself before you can successfully increase your prices on shorts, right?
I've always priced my 7k erotics at $2.99 and for some reason they sell. People are very willing to pay a larger price for smut ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
MacWillard said:
I've always priced my 7k erotics at $2.99 and for some reason they sell. People are very willing to pay a larger price for smut ;D
Maybe I should price my second short higher and see what the response is. Of course, I could just increase the price of my first short and see how people respond. A little trial and error never hurt anyone. :)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I don't think so. It was only the third thing I wrote. It just caught something. With royalties the way they are, at $2.99 you sell fewer copies, a lot fewer, but you make more money. This is smutty erotica. Erotic romance has a much higher expectation of word count and lower price points, but tends to sell a lot more copies.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Erotic romance has a much higher expectation of word count and lower price points, but tends to sell a lot more copies.
Yeah, I price my erotic romances at 99 cents up to 10K, then $1.99 up to 20K. I've thought about upping the price structure a bit, but haven't quite dared. I'm kind of vanilla. :)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It's really going to depend on the market. The more vanilla, the more price resistance you will get. Erotica is a very crowded market dominated by several authors who can pump out 10K stories quickly.

I have a vanilla series for married couples, and if I go above 99 cents for the 10K stuff, sales completely stop.

My wilder series with BDSM and other features does okay at 2.99, but those go up to 20K.

You'll have to experiment. I tried the 2.99 across the board pricing and was only selling maybe 20 a month across all six titles.

But having a couple 99 centers more than made up for it (more than 7 to 1 sales, so got more money, plus more visibility), and now I lead in with a 99 cent 6K story, then the others I keep longer, like 15-20K to justify 2.99. Now I sell way way much better and retain better visibility.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, I think I've missed a trick here. Now I can see there are 2 pricing structures when it comes to erotica, a lower one (more in line with regular fiction) for softer stuff and a higher one for top shelf material. That's really interesting. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I always price at $2.99 for shorts ranging anywhere from 3.5k to 10k. People certainly are willing to pay, especially if you're writing something kinky!

I've also found a *lot* of success publishing an eRom serial at $2.99 per chapter (with the first being free). People have complained about the length/pricing, but a lot more people have gone on to buy the entire thing. ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine are pretty 'vanilla' (and around 4-8K) and sell only small quantities at 2.99 so I think Texas Girl has a really good point! I've had good reviews on Kobo and smashwords but not yet translating into sales... I would like to add the titles as images in this message, by the way. Can anyone be very kind and tell me how?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts