Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
No. The only effect a higher price might have is increasing the perceived value of the book from a KU user's perspective. But I wouldn't consider that a good enough reason to change a price point that is working.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Depends,
Do you want to make $2 or $3 a sale?  Not all kindle users are in Kindle Unlimited.  We can still buy your books.

L

·
0 Posts
If all you're getting is borrows (KU/KOLL) then no, it probably doesn't as said above. The borrower pays nothing. You get the same regardless.

However, if a fair proportion of your downloads are actually sales, then you should look at maximising your income. So, as cinisajoy says, do you want to make $2 or $3.

I think there is a new BETA tool in KDP that shows you the impact of increasing or decreasing your list price.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott Bartlett said:
No. The only effect a higher price might have is increasing the perceived value of the book from a KU user's perspective. But I wouldn't consider that a good enough reason to change a price point that is working.
I will try 3.99 and see what happens. Nothing a few clicks can't change if necessary.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
As a reader . . . though not subscribed to KU . . . . it seems to me that a higher price may result in more borrows, relatively speaking.

Here's my rationale.

I am a prime member so get one free borrow each month from the Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL). When I am browsing, or otherwise here about a book thtat looks interesting, but doesn't strike me hard enough to click 'buy' right away, I'll wishlist it, or possibly sample, depending on my mood. I have a special wishlist for books that are in KOLL.

When a new month comes 'round and it's time for me to look for a book to borrow, I tend to gravitate toward the higher priced ones. I sort of figure a $4 or $5 book for free is a better deal than a $1 or $2 book.

I would think a similar thing might hold for those subscribing to KU. They'd want to get the most out of their membership, so they're going to pick up books they value more highly and one way to gauge that is how it's priced.

But, of course, this is just my thinking . . . and might be completely irrelevant. :D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I tried an experiment last week where I raised most all of my prices just to see what would happen. I figured the borrows were giving me more visibility, so if there was ever a time to try it would be now. Of course, they were books in erotica, so a higher price for a short story isn't unheard of. My sales stayed the same and my borrows went up. Not sure how it would work in another genre, though.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ann in Arlington said:
I am sort of figure a $4 or $5 book for free is a better deal than a $1 or $2 book.
This does make sense if the book's borrows far outweigh the direct sales (as in my case)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts