Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone explain the pricing of some ebooks please?
I was looking at this one "Climate Change Reconsidered: The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" but the price is $110 dollars!
Why

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
because there is no set format for pricing books? publishing companies set books at what they think works, indie authors set their books at what they think..
Check this one.. a bargain at just under $6500.00

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
addr said:
Would someone explain the pricing of some ebooks please?
I was looking at this one "Climate Change Reconsidered: The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" but the price is $110 dollars!
Why
Some of those reports are free from the various websites that put them out. Who knows why they think they can get 110 dollars. Maybe it's required reading for some class somewhere, ergo, chaching!

I can tell you this for free:

It's hot in Texas. Blistering hot, 100 degrees every day for about 32 days in a row. This is hotter than normal.
I put in storm windows because of the heat. So I'm doing my part to control the environment.
It was colder than normal this winter in Texas. (See storm windows).

My veggie garden has gone dormant during the summer for the last five. I started canning tomatoes.

Maria's weather report from Texas where it's HOT.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Adam Kisiel said:
The more specific and rare technical knowledge there is in the book, the more pricey it is.
It's also the case that if there is specialized formatting so that charts, graphs, and equations are shown properly. . .well, that is going to make it more expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I published on amazon through Createspace. They set the minimum price threshold at $7.99 for the first, then $8.99 for the second and third. I was able to drop the price of my first novel to .99 just to get a following by dropping my royalty from 70% to 35%.

What was shocking to me was the paperbacks. They set the minimum price of the first at $11.00 and the third at $14.73.

A word of warning, if you do self publish in paper, the need to purchase directly from your e store, not amazon. Before I knew this I sold 8 books and my royalty was a whopping .23 cents.  :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not necessarily. Let's say you spent $10,000 (labor, etc.) to write a technical ebook, but it is so specialized that you don't expect to sell more than 25 of them. In order to break even, you would have to sell it for at least $400.
I think this is right. I'm an academic by day and, in my field, the average book sells well under a thousand copies. A runaway bestseller might sell 5k. A publisher has to recoup the cost of publishing that book somehow, and usually that means high prices. Books in my field routinely cost in excess of a hundred dollars; it's just the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
C. Culver said:
I think this is right. I'm an academic by day and, in my field, the average book sells well under a thousand copies. A runaway bestseller might sell 5k. A publisher has to recoup the cost of publishing that book somehow, and usually that means high prices. Books in my field routinely cost in excess of a hundred dollars; it's just the cost of doing business.
No, not really. The money for the research is generally paid for by government or other grants (including hours billed to salaries and equipment.) The book itself only has to earn back enough for editing and printing costs.

Educational books, including college books, are expensive because they are generally REQUIRED reading. They have a captive audience who must buy--thus the publishers come up with extremely high prices.

As for research books, they aren't trying to make money for the research--they are taking advantage of a somewhat captive audience--that being libraries or companies that want access to the results/book.

I used to do tech writing for a company affiliated with research. The cost to produce the books is higher than a normal book but only because they use special binding and paper (ie more expensive hardbound). But the editing and graphs and layout is not that much more (if at all) than any other book.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Educational books, including college books, are expensive because they are generally REQUIRED reading. They have a captive audience who must buy--thus the publishers come up with extremely high prices.
This isn't true. I work for a company that does this type of work and you would be shocked at what we are paying authors, publishers, estates, and agents fees for quoting their work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts