Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Princeton Univ will give free Kindle DXs to students in three classes as a trial run for potentially converting everything to the K. The Princeton Library has been digitizing their material for years. Princeton spends $5 million a year just printing out journal articles for students. Three classes will have most of their materials available on the Kindle DX. this is the first test of their goal of moving everything to digital.

Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
That is the best news yet!!  Cause if it works that means more publishers will be putting textbooks on KDX, which in turn means more publishers putting fiction on Kindle in general, the more mainstream it becomes the better!!

Rachel

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Athenagwis said:
That is the best news yet!! Cause if it works that means more publishers will be putting textbooks on KDX, which in turn means more publishers putting fiction on Kindle in general, the more mainstream it becomes the better!!

Rachel
Ditto on that. 8)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also read that the DX's were going to be preloaded, how cool is that.  I hope they find a way to give them to kids who REALLY deserve them, not pampered ones only there to waste their parents money.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This is great for the Kindle Kommunity.  Since the unveiling of the DX, I've heard more mention of Kindle on morning shows and our local news.  It's all good for us.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Since they were preloaded and being "Tested" in the situation, I have a feeling that certain classes will get them. I heard that a chemistry book will be preloaded along with books for a freshman class.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
bookfiend said:
I also read that the DX's were going to be preloaded, how cool is that. I hope they find a way to give them to kids who REALLY deserve them, not pampered ones only there to waste their parents money.
I expect they'll go to students enrolled in certain courses or majors and probably only to seniors or grad students so they know they'll not be given to someone who's going to flunk out in 2 months. They'll be folks who have already proven themselves somehow.

The other question, which just occurred to me, is, will they belong to the student, or will the belong to the school and only be loaned to the student for the duration of the course/curriculum? Either way I guess it's increased visibility.

Ann

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way the Princeton test is being paid for by a grant from a charity and a matching grant from Amazon. So it isn't even costing Princeton anything. They aren't going to pick it by student, deserving or otherwise. Three classes will get the DXs. They haven't stated which classes, but I assume it will depend on which textbooks they can get in Kindle form.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
I go to the wrong school! lol! Heard there were three different school that were going to test them?...is that right...?
Looks like five
LibbyD said:
Princeton, Pace, Case Western Reserve University, Reed College, Arizona State University and the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Please, please PLEASE let there be some computer science geeks in that list! Nothing would further Kindle apps than having some bored college kids rip apart their "free" KDX and hack the heck out of it. I bet folders, games, and all sorts of things are possible with the hardware with a little programming genius behind it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
LibbyD said:
Princeton, Pace, Case Western Reserve University, Reed College, Arizona State University and the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia.
These schools are making it great by taking advantage of the technology that is present today. I guess I missed the right school. But youngsters today will be lucky as this will be great and successful I know.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts