Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this?  I could swear my print was darker when I got it, I even examined it really closely to see if I had one of the ones that people were saying was defective and everything seemed great.  Now, I've noticed it's lighter than before.  This is my 2nd K2 (the first one had a defective next page button).. I'm starting to wonder if I should have just gotten a used K1.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In an earlier post, I commented on fading texts when in the sun. It was pretty bad. It got so bad that when I stepped outside and turned my K2 on, only a few words appeared, and the rest were gone. I highly recommend, if it's not cloudy, you go outside in the sun, and run the sun test. See if the words fade when you change the page. I have been doing it with my replacement K2, and, so far, it has been okay. Now, I hope it stays that way.

Nevertheless, I hope you won't have to get a re-replacement. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a moment to run a little test today.

I put half of my kindle in the sun (indoor) and read a few pages.  There was no noticeable difference UNTIL I came to a small paragraph in italics.  Clearly, the writing in the shade was normal and the other half was faded by 30% or more.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I am on my third Kindle for this reason.  K1.  Customer service was great; didn't even want the photo that I took of the problem.  My newest replacement has been fine for 7 months.  Text was unreadable in daylight...didn't even have to be sunny but just outdoors in the light of day.  Amazon is great for customer support.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sun and my being able to take advantage of the event finally coincided yesterday for me.  If anything, my K2 looked better in full sun.  I wasn't too worried because the contrast has always been good but it was nice to confirm.  :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
ElLector said:
In an earlier post, I commented on fading texts when in the sun. It was pretty bad. It got so bad that when I stepped outside and turned my K2 on, only a few words appeared, and the rest were gone. I highly recommend, if it's not cloudy, you go outside in the sun, and run the sun test. See if the words fade when you change the page. I have been doing it with my replacement K2, and, so far, it has been okay. Now, I hope it stays that way.

Nevertheless, I hope you won't have to get a re-replacement. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
WOW this is true. Same thing happened to me. Thanks for the explanation

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I am still saving up for the K2, but all this talk about fading letters is really worrying me. I also have been reading that CS is not always jumping right on replacing Kindles and telling people they never heard of it.
I don't want to end up with one of those units and than having to beg CS if I can't read it outside.  ???. I have enough of a phone phobia as it is, I don't do well pushing for things.

I love being on my balcony reading and the sun does hit me so it has to work there. I still have a couple of months to go for saving up, but I am a worry wart. There just seems to be so much talk about it.  :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I compared mine with a lady at the hair salon today... they looked exactly the same, so I guess it's normal.  (and told her about Kindleboards!)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had mine is the sun for the first time today.  My wife was driving and I was reading on my Kindle.  The Sun was shining directly on the Kindle through the window.  It looked fine to me.  Does it take a while for the text to fade or can you see it fairly quickly?
jp

·
Registered
121 Posts
jpmorgan49 said:
I had mine is the sun for the first time today. My wife was driving and I was reading on my Kindle. The Sun was shining directly on the Kindle through the window. It looked fine to me. Does it take a while for the text to fade or can you see it fairly quickly?
jp
Mine fades instantly when in direct sunlight or even bright direct light after pressing the next page or refresh shortcut. If you have the screen fade issue it's really obvious.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had a few days of sun this week so I tested my K2 and I had no problems with the screen fading.....yeah!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
noblesrus said:
I have had a few days of sun this week so I tested my K2 and I had no problems with the screen fading.....yeah!
You are one of the lucky ones. I think the fading screen is probably a minor issue with a handful of them.... hopefully.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts