Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have seen it done but i do not know how effective it is. If it is just a sampler i would say free is the only way to go. I personally wouldnt buy a sampler if i didn't get something Complete with it. We did do a show about a month ago and had just a single sheet with a small sample of an upcoming story that we handed out. Most people just kinda glanced at it and walked away when they picked it up. I do not know if it equated to sales or not later.

G

·
We did it with a short story free at the launch event (a convention) -  a small 12 page booklet with story and advert as a handout. It certainly drew a lot of attention, and brought a few sales. Whether you could sell them, I don't know.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I've often thought microfiction on a folded business card would be a fun promotional tool.  

I agree that samplers should never cost money.  If you plan to charge, do a short fiction collection so people get something for their money.  Who wants to spend their cash on a sales pitch?

Camille

·
Registered
81 Posts
oohh. I like the idea of the microfiction. I might need to look into that. It would be an interesting giveaway.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I know several authors that use them at conventions. I don't know how effective they are. There is an off chance that people will buy you copies online later on, but many people buy copies at conventions for an author's signature. So they are more likely to buy from you the next time around just by having a good conversation and making a connection that way.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Like the others, I've seen it done but don't know how effective it is. You can have excerpt brochures printed up at: http://www.nextdayflyers.com/

But I actually prefer Camille's idea of making samplers the size of a business card. Much more affordable for the author and easier for everybody to carry around. Also less money lost if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dara England said:
But I actually prefer Camille's idea of making samplers the size of a business card. Much more affordable for the author and easier for everybody to carry around. Also less money lost if it doesn't work out.
Does Nextdayfliers.com print booklets that small? Is there a place that specializes in small printing sizes like that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts