Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My display of kboards.com looks completely strange right now. There are no graphics, just a list of the forums with some light blue headers. (The site looked normal for me a few hours ago.) I’m viewing the site via Safari on an iPad. The same odd view shows up using the Chrome browser or on my iPhone. I don't have my laptop on so haven't checked that. There is no difference whether I'm using WiFi or cell service. Any other sites I've tried look normal.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edited to add: Just saw a button on the odd site that said to go to full site, and when I did that, I get the normal display. Very odd.

And edited again: All is completely back to normal for me now. My usual bookmark goes right to the full site. Sorry if I alarmed anyone who saw this.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Same thing happened to me ... I'm on a samsung tablet this week ... it was weird. And really hard to navigate.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ann in Arlington said:
Same thing happened to me ... I'm on a samsung tablet this week ... it was weird. And really hard to navigate.
Kindle twilight zone, I guess! Thanks for posting - I wasn't sure if it was only a problem on my end. Very glad it's back to normal now.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I *suspect* that the tech team was setting up a mobile view for the site--which probably hadn't been updated for several years.  I got that view on my iPad, and requested the desktop site, and it's been fine ever since--whether because I set a preference or because the tech team changed something, I don't know.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Betsy the Quilter said:
I *suspect* that the tech team was setting up a mobile view for the site--which probably hadn't been updated for several years. I got that view on my iPad, and requested the desktop site, and it's been fine ever since--whether because I set a preference or because the tech team changed something, I don't know.

Betsy
Yes, I was wondering if an update was in progress just when I tried to go on the site. But only one person seemed to comment on anything being strange at that point. I was also wondering if I had inadvertently changed some preference for viewing the site. (Would not be the first time I unintentionally changed a setting on a website...)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Do you see a link for "full site" somewhere on the page, Amyberta?

EDIT: If you scroll down to the very bottom, you should see that link. Here's what it looks like on my iPhone. Incidentally, if you have an iThing, you can press and hold on the curly arrow in the URL box and select Request Desktop Site.

Betsy

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I guess I missed all that as I don't do browsing on anything but computers. I rather get another root canal than navigating websites on tablets/phone for anything meaningful.  :-X

But I did get a cookie acceptance thing today, a popup on the bottom I had not seen before. The compliance thingie I see on other sites nowadays.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
And, by the way, if you want to check out the new mobile view, you can switch to it by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and click on the tiny "mobile" in the footer.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Betsy the Quilter said:
And, by the way, if you want to check out the new mobile view, you can switch to it by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and click on the tiny "mobile" in the footer.

Betsy

So that's what I was seeing - the new mobile view. (Just tried the link now, and it's the page I was seeing earlier when I thought I had a problem.) I must have accidentally clicked on the link on my way out on the previous visit. Then when I clicked on my bookmark, it opened up to the mobile view.

I tend to use my iPad more than my phone for viewing kboards, and the full site view works fine for me on that. But I'm glad to know what this was all about!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
gdae23 said:
So that's what I was seeing - the new mobile view. (Just tried the link now, and it's the page I was seeing earlier when I thought I had a problem.) I must have accidentally clicked on the link on my way out on the previous visit. Then when I clicked on my bookmark, it opened up to the mobile view.

I tend to use my iPad more than my phone for viewing kboards, and the full site view works fine for me on that. But I'm glad to know what this was all about!
I suspect the mobile view loaded automatically if you were on a tablet or phone. It makes sense that would be the default.

It's certainly better than trying to use Tapatalk, but it's good that we can switch to the full site if we prefer it.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
What Ann said. It seems that the first time viewing the forum on a mobile device, the view defaults to the mobile device. Once "Full site" has been selected, it defaults to that view.

I will continue to use the full view on my iPad, where I am 99.9% of the time. On my phone, I'm liking the mobile view a LOT better than Tapatalk, and as I get used to it; I think the navigation is easier than on Tapatalk. The key is to use the menu bar icon in the upper right hand corner or the up arrow in the upper left hand corner to return to the last page.

I've written up a little guide to the tips and tricks for using it that I've discovered.

Navigation: Using the menu bar icon, you can go to Home, Personal Messages, Unread Posts, Updated Topics, Profile, Search and Recent Posts. Home of course shows the KB Home Page, and you can pick an individual forum to read. These are "Common Actions" and are also available from the menu bar icon as you drill down into the forum. You can use the Up (or sometimes Left) Arrow in the upper left hand corner to go back in navigation, or the back and forward buttons on your browser work, too.

Recent Posts is a list of the most recent posts through the forum

In a forum, you can view the list of threads. Threads with new posts are shown in blue. Clicking on the right arrow to the right of a thread title takes you to the last unread post in that thread. Or, if you click on the thread title, you are taken to the last post in the thread. Once you've visited the thread, the thread title turns gray until there are new posts again.

In a forum, the menu bar icon in the upper right hand corner let you start a new topic or poll, be notified or mark the forum read, in addition to the "common actions" of Home, Personal Messages, Unread Posts, Updated topics, Profile and Recent Posts. Disappointingly, Recent Posts within a forum doesn't show just recent posts in that forum. :). I suppose that was too much to ask for.

In a thread, the menu bar icon lets you reply, quote, or notify as well as the Common Actions.

On each post, the menu bar icon lets you view the member's profile, reply, Report to Moderator, Quote, Modify via a scrolling pick box at the bottom. Select the option and then click Done. If you are replying to a post, the menu bar icon lists the Common Actions.

That's it so far...if you've discovered any tips and tricks to using the Mobile view, share them here!

Betsy

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Its likely the mobile view was updated on the site. I did not get any word on this from the ops team, likely a symptom of them working on some of the reported post cut over issues. The mobile views are often cookie based so if you clear your browser cache it will often default back to mobile. Let me know if you encounter any bugs working with the mobile skin.
-Philip

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Just a heads up. Mobile is getting turned off while we work on the viglink insertion showing on there. For now for an enhanced mobile view of the site please use tapatalk. I will notify you all when its working as it should.
-Philip

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Mobile is turned back on and does not show viglink links if you are logged in. If you want to use the mobile view of the site you may need to clear your cache.
-Philip

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
At least on the IPad, you can select mobile in the tiny text near the bottom of the page to bring up the mobile version again, though my iPad defaulted to it again when the mobile view was reinstated and I had to reselect the full view today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts