Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of Ebooks’s and doc’s (2-3,000). I also have a lot of collections (410). About 6 months ago Amazon changed the kindle program for adding Ebooks’s to a collection. Now I have to mark my new Ebooks’s and then scan thru a random listing of my collection names. I think duplicate names come up also. I am 71 so it is hard seeing and catching the correct collection name as I scroll through the list. Anybody have an easy way to do it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a lot of Ebooks’s and doc’s (2-3,000). I also have a lot of collections (410). About 6 months ago Amazon changed the kindle program for adding Ebooks’s to a collection. Now I have to mark my new Ebooks’s and then scan thru a random listing of my collection names. I think duplicate names come up also. I am 71 so it is hard seeing and catching the correct collection name as I scroll through the list. Anybody have an easy way to do it?
You don't really make it clear which system you are using to add books to collections but the easiest way is to do so from a PC using Amazon's "Manage Your Contents and Devices" page (one of the options under "Accounts & Lists"). You simple select the ebook (or books) you want to add to a collection and click the "Add to Collections" button. This does give you a list of collections - I think in the order of collection you last added a book to - which can be very hard to scan through when you have large numbers of collections. The solution is to type the first few characters of the collection name into the search box which will filter the collection list down to those you might want (nb. this filtered list is limited to 5 items so you need your search to be specific enough to ensure the required collection is included). Unfortunately this has to be done on a PC (or maybe a Mac) as the tablet version of the page does not support the add to collection functionality..

If you are adding books from within a reading device such as a paperwhite the process is rather different but for an e-ink device at least it is possible to go directly to the page holding the desired collection rather than having to scan though all your 410 collections. Note that this reply only applies to "cloud collections" and thus not to the Kindle for PC app; I hope that you are not reading on a PC as I fear that there is no help for your problem if you are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do use the pc. The problem is, when I add to collections and the collection list comes up, There is no ability to search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure what you are doing or why the results are different from mine, but it occurs to me that you may be in a different country from me (say the USA whilst I'm in the UK) and that Amazon does not always have exactly the same programs running in different countries. In fact, playing around on the USA site indicates that there are very significant differences in the "content" webpage and that the search box in the "add to collection" pop up is missing in the USA. In fact, the whole USA system looks decidedly inferior to the UK one and I fear that Amazon may update the UK to match that in the USA at some point. If they do, as I have too many collections to easily scroll through (only 117 so far fewer than you but still too many when they are in what appears to be a "last date modified" order), I'm going to find myself in a similar situation to you and will have to give up using the website content page to put things in collections. Which will be a bummer, as it's part of my standardized book purchase process.

If this happens I think I will have to allocate books to collections on one of our Kindle Paperwhites, something I already do at times, and with which I imagine you are already familiar. If this happens my approach for new purchases will be as follows:
  • make sure the filter is set to collections and the sort to title (so that one can go to a collection by tapping on the page number at the bottom right and then putting in the first few letters of its title)
  • go to the page that includes the collection to which I want to add the book and tap on the dots to get the pop up offering to add/remove items and select this.
  • when the add/remove function opens, make sure it is set to "all" and the sort to "recent" so that the books that have just been bought appear on the first page even if they've not been downloaded.
  • select the books to be added to that collection and press "Done" to add them.

This is not the only way to add books to a collection on a Paperwhite but the one I've found works best for newly purchased titles (as the alternative approach runs far too slowly on my devices). I fear that this will be no help to you as I'm just advising you to do something you already know how to do, but it sounds to me as if you have been screwed by the Amazon program change that your original question mentioned and that the good solution has been taken away. Finally, I apologise for misleading you in my initial answer: I simply forgot that Amazon might not be standardizing its software across its various sites.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to login on Amazon UK. I can but my kindle books do not transfer. Is there any way to complain to Amazon Kindle? The USA software stinks!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to login on Amazon UK. I can but my kindle books do not transfer. Is there any way to complain to Amazon Kindle? The USA software stinks!!!!!!!!!!!1
The only way I could see what the USA software was doing is because our Harry Potter books - which came from Pottermore via amazon.uk - show in my content on both the USA and UK sites. Why this happens when all the other (4000+) books do not appear I don't know, and the only "virtue" of this is that it does mean I can play around on the USA site and see that, as you say, this part of the software stinks.

As for complaining, I've always found Amazon very helpful if I've had a problem with an order but it has been very hard to get through about software problems. I have managed it in the past where the software wasn't actually working - basically by opening a chat with customer services (though it doesn't help that software/website problems are not one of the chat contact options) and repeatedly telling them that they wouldn't be able to deal with the problem and asking that they refer it to a software support team. However, your problem is not that it doesn't work but that it's badly designed and I've never found a way to get any response to this. Well actually, I did once get a reply to a complaint I made about a change to the search function in Wishlists, but the reply basically said that from time to time they improve their software (which is no help when one thinks they've disimproved it).

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I'm just hoping that it will be a long time before the update the UK software to match that in the USA!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts