Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend asked me this afternoon why amazon's review feature would not let him post a review on my book. In the past I have had several family members ask me the same question, but I figured since they had the same last name that they may have been culled as  some sort of filter to stop unethical practices by authors. I didn't make a big deal about that, but this one is totally unrelated, and if he can't post a review...how many other reviews might I be missing out on.  :mad: It wouldn't be such a big deal (and I don't like to whine), but as I still only have one review which is a three star, a little help would be nice.  :'(  I sent customer service an inquiry a few minutes ago and will keep the board posted on their response. Thanks for letting me vent.  :'(

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have no idea why Amazon won't let him post. I would say that as a matter of policy it's best not to have your friends review your books (you can't always stop them, but you can at least politely discourage them). It is almost impossible for a good friend to give you an honest review, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
MegHarris said:
I would say that as a matter of policy it's best not to have your friends review your books ...
My personal estimation of this is that if you have the fanbase to get 10-20 reviews on your titles relatively quickly, yeah, you should be discouraging your friends. But considering the volume of reviews is vital to promotional efforts, those who do not have a fanbase of non-friends can't be that choosy about where the reviews come from.

Life ain't fair. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't solicit his review and did not know he tried until today. I was just concerned, since he was unable to post one, that others might not be able to post one either which greatly hinders sales. Had he not tried I would not be aware of any problems.  :(

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
J. Alan Stephens said:
I didn't solicit his review and did not know he tried until today. I was just concerned, since he was unable to post one, that others might not be able to post one either which greatly hinders sales. Had he not tried I would not be aware of any problems. :(
I have no clue what the issue might be. You might suggest he contact Amazon support.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
J. Alan Stephens said:
A good friend asked me this afternoon why amazon's review feature would not let him post a review on my book. In the past I have had several family members ask me the same question, but I figured since they had the same last name that they may have been culled as some sort of filter to stop unethical practices by authors. I didn't make a big deal about that, but this one is totally unrelated, and if he can't post a review...how many other reviews might I be missing out on. :mad: It wouldn't be such a big deal (and I don't like to whine), but as I still only have one review which is a three star, a little help would be nice. :'( I sent customer service an inquiry a few minutes ago and will keep the board posted on their response. Thanks for letting me vent. :'(
What error did he get when he tried to post?

The only reason that I am aware of for preventing a person reviewing is if the person reviewing has not made a valid purchase using a credit or debit card in their name (and waited another forty-eight hours) before attempting to write their review. That wasn't the case when I first started with Amazon but it is the way it works currently.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
DarkScribe said:
What error did he get when he tried to post?

The only reason that I am aware of for preventing a person reviewing is if the person reviewing has not made a valid purchase using a credit or debit card in their name (and waited another forty-eight hours) before attempting to write their review. That wasn't the case when I first started with Amazon but it is the way it works currently.
So you mean for new accounts to prevent sock-puppetry they've added in the "must have purchased and waited two days" rule?

Was that as a the result of last year's blowup?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mathew Reuther said:
So you mean for new accounts to prevent sock-puppetry they've added in the "must have purchased and waited two days" rule?
I don't think this is the problem. Just yesterday I reviewed a book that I hadn't purchased from Amazon and it went live.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've reviewed tons of books I didn't buy through Amazon, though I don't think there was any ebooks I reviewed.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
KVWitten said:
I don't think this is the problem. Just yesterday I reviewed a book that I hadn't purchased from Amazon and it went live.
Yes, but you HAVE bought from amazon before, is the point. :)

What was described was new account with no previous Amazon purchase history.

Anyone who actually has a legit Amazon account (has ever bought from them) is able to review anything on the site, assuming things are working as they should.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Mathew Reuther said:

Not sure when it came in to effect but I imagine that it is at least partly a result of the furor over the gaming of reviews. I became aware of it a couple of weeks ago when several people who I gave Kindles to as Christmas gifts commented on the delay. I checked on a niece's Kindle and if you clicked on the "Write your own review" link a pop-up explained the criteria for review eligibility. It also noted that free eBooks didn't count, an item - not necessarily an eBook - had to be purchased from Amazon using a credit or debit card. It provided another link to select if you were still unable to review forty-eight hours after purchase. They have made some definite changes - probably a good thing. There should be a lot less of the "drive by sniper" type reviews.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
DarkScribe said:
Not sure when it came in to effect but I imagine that it is at least partly a result of the furor over the gaming of reviews. I became aware of it a couple of weeks ago when several people who I gave Kindles to as Christmas gifts commented on the delay. I checked on a niece's Kindle and if you clicked on the "Write your own review" link a pop-up explained the criteria for review eligibility. It also noted that free eBooks didn't count, an item - not necessarily an eBook - had to be purchased from Amazon using a credit or debit card. It provided another link to select if you were still unable to review forty-eight hours after purchase. They have made some definite changes - probably a good thing. There should be a lot less of the "drive by sniper" type reviews.
*nod*

I see no real issues with the policy. There's plenty of things to buy from them, people shouldn't have too much of an issue finding something. For the low low price of a single purchase they get to review every item. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Mathew Reuther said:

That's been the case for as long as I can remember. For the longest time I'd never made a purchase (all my Amazon purchases had been done on my husband's account) and couldn't review, but then I went ahead and made my own purchase just so I could write a review. Now I'm the one who makes 99% of the Amazon purchases. ;D

But anyway, I know they've had that rule as early as 2003, and probably earlier than that.

Edited to add: I actually don't know if the 48 hours rule was in effect back then, but the "must have made a purchase with a valid credit card" was in effect at least as far back as then. The 48 hours rule very well may be new. I can't remember.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
As for why the OP's friend might not be able to review...

I've seen Amazon remove reviews when a connection can be found between the reviewer and the author. That connection can be in the form of a last name, or even having sent something to the reviewer in the past. So if you've ever used amazon to mail presents to friends and family, then chances are Amazon has a computer record that can connect you to that person, and thus they'll presume that the review isn't valid.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Monique said:
What exactly happens when he tries?
My understanding is that he goes through the entire process and when he's finished the review just doesn't show up.

He bought a paperback through Createspace...not sure if the account was his or his wife's, but it was later than 48 hours after purchase. Still waiting on a response from Amazon. I'm sure that they will be able to straighten things out. :-\

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
That's been the case for as long as I can remember. For the longest time I'd never made a purchase (all my Amazon purchases had been done on my husband's account) and couldn't review, but then I went ahead and made my own purchase just so I could write a review. Now I'm the one who makes 99% of the Amazon purchases. ;D

But anyway, I know they've had that rule as early as 2003, and probably earlier than that.

Edited to add: I actually don't know if the 48 hours rule was in effect back then, but the "must have made a purchase with a valid credit card" was in effect at least as far back as then. The 48 hours rule very well may be new. I can't remember.
Possibly it varies by locality. I was reviewing long before I ever purchased anything. Partly because when I started with Amazon it was difficult to purchase and ship to Australia. Most items came up with "We cannot ship to your registered address." It wasn't until I spent some time in our New York office that I started buying things on Amazon (and that was many months after beginning to review). Initially, while still in Australia, I had to provide credit card details but that was all.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Amazon really doesn't know the account represents a real person until they hit the credit card with a charge. There are other ways to do it, but the easiest is to simply rely on the fact that a charge to the card was accepted and paid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My friend bought my latest book from Amazon. Read it and reviewed it. Then was sent an email by Amazon stating that her review seemed to be not a review, but more of a Promotional opportunity. I shook my head at this. She emailed them back and it yet to hear from them about this. :mad:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
J. Alan Stephens said:
My understanding is that he goes through the entire process and when he's finished the review just doesn't show up.

He bought a paperback through Createspace...not sure if the account was his or his wife's, but it was later than 48 hours after purchase. Still waiting on a response from Amazon. I'm sure that they will be able to straighten things out. :-\
When you post a review, you get a message stating that it could take up to 48 hours for the review to appear.

I think your friend just needs to be patient.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts