Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the older fashioned kindle which has multiple buttons for letters and such.
I'm thinking of getting the touchscreen one, but reading the reviews on amazon, a lot of people say they have problems with the touchsensitivity (due to "puggy" fingers). Do any of you guys find that to be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
I don't find it to be a problem at all.  I find the touch screen very responsive.  That said, I wouldn't characterize my fingers as 'pudgy'. :-\  But, one can always use a capacitive stylus if that's really a problem.

Frankly, I've heard more complaints about the screen lighting system, but I also don't have any problems with that.

I 'traded up' from a non-touch Kindle and wasn't actually sure I'd like the touch screen -- but I really wanted the light -- but I'm really happy with both aspects of the device.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have just recently received the Kindle Paperwhite due to the WiFi hardware going out on my Kindle 3 keyboard model.  Square Trade warranty was superb and handled my claim with the utmost speed, care and professionalism.

The touchscreen on the Paperwhite is just as good and as sensitive as my Asus TF700T tablet.  I have the LED backlight turned all the way up and no issues at all.  A very small amount of shadowing at the bottom of the screen where the LEDs are located, but nothing to whine or complain about.  The screen color has a very slight grey hue... very slight.  Again no problem on my part.

I believe when you are stating "puggy" fingers I read that to mean "pudgy" fingers, as in blunt fingertips.  When dealing with tablet size screens, which is what the Paperwhite is, it's best to use a metallic microfiber-tipped stylus.  Using a stylus is much more accurate than using fingers.

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
Nibiru2012 said:
I believe when you are stating "puggy" fingers I read that to mean "pudgy" fingers, as in blunt fingertips. When dealing with tablet size screens, which is what the Paperwhite is, it's best to use a metallic microfiber-tipped stylus. Using a stylus is much more accurate than using fingers.
I actually don't think a stylus is needed for most people with the PaperWhite (PW) . . .there just aren't that many things one might need to touch or tap that are small enough to be a problem. But I do find a stylus very helpful on, for instance, my Fire HD7. Also my phone.

I guess, for me, the PW is only for reading. When I open the cover and it goes on it's perfectly sensitive to a swipe to turn pages of the home screen or a tap to select a book. Turning pages within a book via a tap on the page works quite well. It would be more trouble, for me, to keep a stylus in hand.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I have big ol' fat fingers; I don't normally use a stylus with any of my devices, but I can see where it would make it easier to highlight on my PW, especially if one has a small font size selected.

Betsy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nibiru2012 said:
I have the LED backlight turned all the way up and no issues at all.
All the way up? I have it on 10, otherwise it hurts my eyes. I tried the max and it's same as reading on my iPad which negates the whole purpose of e-ink screen.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got my Kindle Paperwhite three weeks ago and was concerned. I'd never used a touchscreen on any device. It took me about a week to get the hang of it and I have stubby, wide fingers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts