Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I connect my Kindle to my computer (Vista) I have two drives show up, but both of them are labeled as "Removable Disk".  I have no SD card in and so I wasn't surprised to have it say "insert disc" when I click it, but the same thing happens with the other one.  Anyone know what's up with that?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Mike,

Are you connecting the USB cable directly to the computer or through a hub?  Some people have had trouble getting their Kindle recognized through a hub...

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Try these instructions from an earlier post by Holmes4

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1370.msg44838.html#msg44838

1. If Windows says that a USB device has malfunctioned, a reboot of Windows will usually resolve that.
2. If you connect the Kindle and you hear the "USB connecting" sound, but one or both of the drives do not appear, do this (these instructions are for Windows - I can't help Mac users):
- Open My Computer and see if the Kindle drive(s) appear there. If they do, then double-click on the appropriate drive
- If that doesn't work, right click on My Computer and select Manage or Administrative Tools. The Computer Manager (that's what Vista calls it) will come up. In the left column click on Storage > Disk Management.
- In the right pane you should see all the disk-type devices that Windows recognizes. Scroll down to see if the missing drive is there. What you may discover is that it shows the drive with a drive letter, but that drive letter is not visible in My Computer. Right-click on the drive in the right pane and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Click Change and change the drive letter to an available one higher in the alphabet. Click OK, OK. The drive should now be visible.

What I find happens is that Windows has seen some other drive, possibly USB or a network drive, mapped to the same letter in the past and that "hides" the new drive.
If you need help, let us know.

Betsy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good information, but still not quite hitting the problem.

BTW: I swiped an SD card from another device and that drive works just fine.

My problem is that my comp seems to think that the Kindle itself is another SD drive, expecting me to be able to load in a card or something.

I can also transfer files from the SD to the Kindle.  So, indirectly I can get stuff from my computer to the Kindle memory, but it's a bit of a PIA to do so.

Thanks for your help, Betsy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would suggest trying the Kindle in a different PC and see what happens.  I would also reboot the PC if that hasn't been done recently(which I presume you have already done at least once).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I've tried the "First law of fixing computer problems" (that is to say "REBOOT!").

Have also tried another comp with another operating system (XP, rather than my Vista).

No dice.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
So what I am getting is your computer is presenting you with... how many files? 1. sd 2. kindle (files including: audibles, documents, and music) 3. another drive?

By the way, Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
One of those two removable drives should be the Kindle. The other one, the SD card.

Why it doesn't say KINDLE, I'm not sure but one of them will be the Kindle.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
ParadoxMike said:
Good information, but still not quite hitting the problem.

BTW: I swiped an SD card from another device and that drive works just fine.

My problem is that my comp seems to think that the Kindle itself is another SD drive, expecting me to be able to load in a card or something.

I can also transfer files from the SD to the Kindle. So, indirectly I can get stuff from my computer to the Kindle memory, but it's a bit of a PIA to do so.

Thanks for your help, Betsy.
It wasn't clear to me from what you said, did you try the solution I presented? It resolved the problem for someone who seemed to have the identical problem that you have, at least as you described it. Click on the link in my earlier post and read the thread that the solution came from. :)

Betsy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alas, Betsy, I have: and without success.

But!!!!  I may have stumbled across something.  I have seen a few references to the Kindle coming up as a K: drive.  I already have a K: drive (a home network drive, so labled because that's my last initial).  Could this be fouling things up?  Is the K: designation necessary?  I am loathe to do this if not really necessary as many functions on my system default to this drive and I will have to change them all of I switch it.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, it will take the next open letter. In Vista, it will say Kindle, and if you have an SD card installed, it will take the name (manufacturer) of the card. Essentially, it behaves the same way as any other networked drive.

In XP, I don't believe it names the drive, it just gives you the drive letter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmmmmm . . . .

When I plug mine in on my Vista system it says Removable Disk (E:) and Removable Disk (F:).  One turns out to be the SD slot, the other, presumably, is the Kindle but does not act like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts