Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my book writing research done so far reveals (this is concerning physical books)

-70-85% of book buyers are women

-Health, Psychology, Weight Loss, Medicine, Motivational, and Business are always hot categories on NY times/Amazon best seller lists

-Fiction is harder to write than non-fiction  (characters, plot, storyline, etc).  Romance is a fiction top seller.

with that said, I see that most KINDLE bestsellers are FICTION.  Sci-Fi and Crime/Thriller type stuff.  So what is the "profile" of the Kindle user ?  Frat-guy college male ?  Etc ?

I want to with laser-beam precision "target" the audience and hopefully increase my odds of writing a Kindle bestseller.  My original plan, and an issue close to my heart, was a non-fiction book about parenting and its importance for successful kids, but you gotta write what the market demands.....

Thoughts ?

THANKS !!!!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Good luck with that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I may be reading your points wrong, but here's what it looks like you should write:

A science-fiction mystery novel in which the main character is a female detective who is in a romantic relationship with a Deepak Chopra protegé.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Write the best story you can, that will get you readers.. trying to "target" the perfect market is insane.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
william said:
Ok, so my book writing research done so far reveals (this is concerning physical books)

-70-85% of book buyers are women

-Health, Psychology, Weight Loss, Medicine, Motivational, and Business are always hot categories on NY times/Amazon best seller lists

-Fiction is harder to write than non-fiction (characters, plot, storyline, etc). Romance is a fiction top seller.

with that said, I see that most KINDLE bestsellers are FICTION. Sci-Fi and Crime/Thriller type stuff. So what is the "profile" of the Kindle user ? Frat-guy college male ? Etc ?

I want to with laser-beam precision "target" the audience and hopefully increase my odds of writing a Kindle bestseller. My original plan, and an issue close to my heart, was a non-fiction book about parenting and its importance for successful kids, but you gotta write what the market demands.....

Thoughts ?

THANKS !!!!
Actually, you don't. You may choose to write the book of your heart. But that is very much personal choice.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
You can't shotgun a laserbeam.

If you want to zero in on something with laser precision, you need to pick a niche -- not a broad average of the population. (Which is what you're talking about if you are going to focus on "kindle users.")

That is one of the great advantages we have in the new paradigm and in Indie Publishing. Because they had to support huge businesses, traditional publishers, distributors and booksellers HAD to focus on a broader audience. They had to get huge numbers for everybody to get a share -- and so they focussed on books which were good enough for everybody, but not necessarily anybody's favorite.

With indie publishing, you can write books which are well loved by a few and still do well. You will never compete with the big boys on books which are liked by many. (And frankly, if you manage it, you may do better with traditional publishing anyway.)

Camille

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is my own personal opinion, but you should NOT be writing anything that you aren't passionate about, as a writer or a reader.  Your readers will be able to tell and they will dismiss you quickly.  This is my reader perspective.  If you like non-fiction and then you should write that.  Don't try to write a crime/thriller knowing nothing about the genre, who the players are, what the genre rules are, etc.  Only if you read crime/thriller stuff should you be writing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts