Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've search but didn't find what I was looking for. Is there a thread or a FAQ here about downloading books from Project Guttenberg and then reading them on my Kindle? I have a Kindle Fire HD 7. I was able to download a book using Dropbox. I could then read the book by going into my Dropbox, however the book doesn't show up in my carousel or in my books on the Kindle, so I couldn't read it on a different device. Am I missing a step? Should this book work like any other I get from Amazon (save my progress, look up definitions, bookmark, etc.)? I tried searching the Project Guttenberg site as well, but could not find any answers.
Thanks
Bill
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,490 Posts
On a Fire, go to the project gutenberg site via the browser and download the book you want. It will show up in 'downloads' which you can see if you swipe in from the left.

As long as you got the right sort of file -- .prc or .mobi -- should be able to open it without difficulty. Note, however, you won't see it in 'books' and probably not in the carousel. You will need to swipe to the left on the menu to the 'documents' option. You should be able to select it there and once you do that it will show up on your carousel. You should also be able to upload it to Amazon from there, which should then make it available to other devices.

Alternatively, download the books to your computer and then use Send to Kindle to upload it to your device and also archive it in Amazon's cloud. That way it'll be available, as well, on any other device you have or get later without you having to remember to upload it to your cloud at the Zon after downloading it from the web.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
Are you downloading the book to Dropbox from your PC?  ('Cause I can't download to my Dropbox folder on my Fire--I can download to other apps, but not Dropbox...hmmm...)

But files in Dropbox aren't treated as books by the device, so they won't show up that way. 

If you are downloading to your PC, you could then use the Send to Kindle app to send them to your device.  They would then be available to other devices.  Ann knows more about Send to Kindle, she uses it all the time.  I don't use it much. EDIT: Oops!  Beat me to it while I was looking something up.

I didn't have much luck downloading the Kindle version from Project Gutenberg, other than as I mentioned in the beginning; I could download the ePub version and read it in the Overdrive app (or other ePub readers on the Fire) but that doesn't give you the capability to read on other devices.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Most books found on Project Guttenberg  can also be found on Amazon for free.
This is a suggestion for those that don't want to take as many steps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
On a Fire, go to the project gutenberg site via the browser and download the book you want. It will show up in 'downloads' which you can see if you swipe in from the left.

As long as you got the right sort of file -- .prc or .mobi -- should be able to open it without difficulty. Note, however, you won't see it in 'books' and probably not in the carousel. You will need to swipe to the left on the menu to the 'documents' option. You should be able to select it there and once you do that it will show up on your carousel. You should also be able to upload it to Amazon from there, which should then make it available to other devices.

Alternatively, download the books to your computer and then use Send to Kindle to upload it to your device and also archive it in Amazon's cloud. That way it'll be available, as well, on any other device you have or get later without you having to remember to upload it to your cloud at the Zon after downloading it from the web.
Thanks. I went to the Gutenberg site via the Silk browser and was able to download the book. Swipe right to downloads and open book. Don't understand next part. "swipe to the left on the menu to the documents option." what menu? from which screen? If I look at Doc from the home page I don't see the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cinisajoy said:
Most books found on Project Guttenberg can also be found on Amazon for free.
This is a suggestion for those that don't want to take as many steps.
From the Kindle store can you tell which version is the same as the Project Gutenberg one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
rolandx said:
From the Kindle store can you tell which version is the same as the Project Gutenberg one?
I have never compared but I think the ones with the generic covers are closest.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,490 Posts
rolandx said:
Thanks. I went to the Gutenberg site via the Silk browser and was able to download the book. Swipe right to downloads and open book. Don't understand next part. "swipe to the left on the menu to the documents option." what menu? from which screen? If I look at Doc from the home page I don't see the book.
The next part was a new paragraph pointing out that you won't find it listed under 'books' . . . which is one of the menu options along the top of the carousel area. You have to swipe left to see the 'documents' option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ann, though I'm still confused and I still can't get the book to show up in the carousel. It's simply too much work when you can get a free version from Amazon.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,490 Posts
rolandx said:
Thanks Ann, though I'm still confused and I still can't get the book to show up in the carousel. It's simply too much work when you can get a free version from Amazon.
I won't argue that . . . . :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top