Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone probably posted this already, but I love this stat from one of KND's recent newsletters:

There were 124 million Kindle books sold in 2010;
there will be 314 million Kindle books sold in 2011; and
there will be 752 million Kindle books sold in 2012.

(according to Citigroup analyst Mark Mahaney.)

·
Registered
977 Posts
That gave me chills :eek:. Now, *rubs hands together and cackles wickedly* how do I make a million of those sales mine?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha!

You can actually hear the sound of the opening cash register and see the dollar signs in the eyes of everyone posting in this thread ;D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anne_holly said:
Nice.

Would be more impressive if there weren't 400 million Kindle books released in 2011, though...
Seriously? Yikes. If that's right, I'd have to think these sales projections are too low, because this would mean that the average kindle book sells less than one copy per year. And that certainly doesn't sound right. Maybe it's 400,000?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
MosesSiregarIII said:
Seriously? Yikes. If that's right, I'd have to think these sales projections are too low, because this would mean that the average kindle book sells less than one copy per year. And that certainly doesn't sound right.
It was major hyperbole.

But my gut reaction did sway to the side of "314 million sales really isn't that much to go around at the rate people are churning them out."

ETA: That's okay, though, because there will always be us low-yielders to pick up the slack for you big sellers. Taking one for the team, as it where. ;)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monique said:
Currently, there are just under 1 million ebooks for sale in the Kindle Store.
Let's say there are 1 million ebooks in the kindle store and 314 million sales this year. That would be an average of 314 sales per book (in 2011).

And a good number of those 1 million books are public domain books or freebies. So maybe it's an average of ~500 actual sales per ebook, give or take some number that I don't know ;)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
For the sake of argument, let's say there are 1M books. Average sales 500 a year. That's just over 40 books a month or 1-2 sales a day. That would put the book at what rank? 50,000? 30,000? Does anyone know? Let's say it's 50,000. That means that 5% of the books have 50% of the sales. Is that right? I'm not good at math.

As a side note, I just noticed this interesting breakdown for review ratings...

Avg. Customer Review

* 4 Stars & Up& Up (220,403)
    * 3 Stars & Up& Up (256,431)
    * 2 Stars & Up& Up (264,457)
    * 1 Star & Up& Up (272,751)

·
Registered
977 Posts
MosesSiregarIII said:
Haha!

You can actually hear the sound of the opening cash register and see the dollar signs in the eyes of everyone posting in this thread ;D
Guilty as charged *hangs head*.

But, I think we all know that even though there are MASSIVE amounts of books being released, not many of them are spectacular (or even readable in some cases) so the numbers are actually in our favor. At least in my experience, the indie authors on KB are among the top echelon of books being released and there really aren't that many of us. Wait, that sounds like I'm including myself in being at the top of the indie spectrum. I'm not, but I would put the books I've read from other authors on here on the short list for quality work. Now I sound too self deprecating... I give up, but you get what I'm saying, right? :-\

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Last I read there were about 40,000 new ebooks being published every month on Amazon. I'd expect that to rise a bit.

What surprises me is how many older books aren't available as ebooks yet. I think there's a ton of John D. McDonald stuff that isn't out yet on Kindle. There's a tremendous amount of recent backlist that isn't in ebook form, and I'd expect that to change.

What will be interesting will be to see what sales are like when there are five million ebooks for sale. The hard part will be getting your book noticed in that sea of books. I bet marketing before and around a release will be crucial in a year or two. It will be harder for books to gain rank after they are out for a few months and haven't sold much.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Asher MacDonald said:
What will be interesting will be to see what sales are like when there are five million ebooks for sale.
I think this is the reason that you want to be establishing yourself as an author now and build an audience, as opposed to doing it five or 10 years from now. I'm not saying a new author won't be able to make it 10 years from now, but they're going to have to work that much harder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for sharing the numbers. Numbers are good in many instances they help clarify one's focus or at least mine. Now I have to increase the numbers of books written and published. "THINK, PLAN, EXECUTE!"™

·
Registered
513 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
Guilty as charged *hangs head*.

But, I think we all know that even though there are MASSIVE amounts of books being released, not many of them are spectacular (or even readable in some cases) so the numbers are actually in our favor. At least in my experience, the indie authors on KB are among the top echelon of books being released and there really aren't that many of us. Wait, that sounds like I'm including myself in being at the top of the indie spectrum. I'm not, but I would put the books I've read from other authors on here on the short list for quality work. Now I sound too self deprecating... I give up, but you get what I'm saying, right? :-\
I totally agree with you, WG! ;)

I'm noticing a lot of really successful people posting on these boards, along with folks who started not that long ago. Plus, every book purchase I've made from people I've seen posting has been good. I can't say the same for random stuff I've purchased from the Kindle Store for .99.

I think the folks who post here are the ones who are really trying to treat this like a small business, versus just throwing a book out there to see what sticks :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts