Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love these threads, and now I get to step up and share!

Background:
Published my first book January 1st (it's enrolled in KDP Select) and the only marketing I've done is my own social media and requests for reviews. Presale=25 sales. Release weekend that book's top rank was just under 4,000 (combined 36 sales/borrows that day), so I considered it a successful launch! It's stays in the 20,000-40,000 range now with about 5-10 combined sales and borrows a day.

Book two will be released March 26th. So far it has 146 presales (WOOT) and it's rank is 60,000- 80,000 this week (about 2-5 sales a day) I do wonder if release day will actually spike, or if it's going to stay consistent because of this. BUT since I'm a new author, I decided presale was the way to go-- maybe for future series I wont do the same. --either way I'm happy with these numbers so far.

The Plan:
Book one will be on promo for .99 from March 22-28. I went with the throw everything at it model and here is my confirmed lineup:

March 22: Paid: Booksends, Betty Book Freak, FussyLibrarian
Free: Readcheaply, BookSCREAM free 84 Sales, 6 Borrows (book two=8 preorders)

March 23: Paid: Ereader News Today, Riffle, 135 Sales, 9 Borrows (Book two= 7 preorders, Book Three= 3 Preorders
Free: ManyBooks, BuckBooks

March 24: Paid: Bargain Booksy 68 sales, 10 borrows (book 2= 10 preorders, Book 3=1 preorder)

March 25: Paid: Sweet Free Books 23 sales, 8 borrows (book 2=12 preorders, Book 3= 1 preorder)

March 26 (Release Day for Book 2): Paid: Genre Pulse 73 Sales, 17 borrows (Book 2- can't tell what numbers were pre order or new sales... Borrows= 28, Book 3= 5)

March 27: Paid: Ebook Hounds, Romance Ebook Deals, Riffle (Gave an extra day in diff category)
Free: The Naughty list 55 Sales, 10 borrows (book2=18 Sales, 23 borrows, Book 3= Pre-order 7)

March 28: Paid: Knights, Romance Ebook Deals 75 Sales, 14 borrows (book 2= 10 Sales, 15 borrows, Book 3= 8 pre-orders)

Throughout I will also be running a rafflecopter giveaway with a group of authors.

Others: Free kindle books and the midlist turned me down as cover was not a good fit (bookbub too, but that's a given right?). I also applied to other sites but haven't heard back.

Truth: I spent more than I anticipated, but that's okay. My main goal is exposure for the series (and to hopefully increase those reviews so a future promo could include Bookbub). I don't think I will make back the expense with just the promo, but hope that sell through and after promo sales will recoup.

Something I've already learned: I should have probably planned the promo sites to lead up to ENT-- but I started planning this last month before I knew this strategy.

Reflection:

The paid sites that I would defenitly use again because price was good for results (in no specific order):
Ereader News Today, Romance ebook deals, Genre Pulse, Sweet Free Books, Fussy Librarian, Booksends, ebook hounds

Of course the free sites are all ones I would use again, because those prices are good too!

I wouldn't say the other sites weren't good, because overall I'm very pleased with this promo but it was an expensive promotion ($240) and cutting out Bargain Booksy and Rifle would have saved me $90- if I had cut them out though I would probably have shortened the promotion as well- and I don't believe they accounted for that many sales.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First day results: 

84 Sales, 6 Borrows (book two=8 preorders)

BookSCREAM picked up the book when they saw it discounted as well.

Outside the Ropes

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,793 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#18 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Action & Adventure
#33 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Psychological
#61 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Sports

And even book two, Inside Danger moved up: #30,756 Paid in Kindle Store

I'm very happy with the first day results! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good start! Thanks for sharing.

Just about to write my own promo post before it starts tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll save the official numbers for tomorrow morning, but so far... 129 sales and 9 borrows. Plus 6 sales for book 2 and an even bigger surprise 3 sales on book 3 (which only just went on pre sale so I could put the link in the  back of book 2 which releases thursday-- I haven't told anyone yet, except you all now  ;) )

And I'm ranking    #1,460 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#11 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Action & Adventure
#24 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Psychological
#34 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Sports

Seriously, this has gone above expectations so far!! I had to share with someone or explode!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! No exploding, good advice.

Since ENT was yesterday I have a feeling this will be my high score for the promo:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,116 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#10 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Action & Adventure
#22 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Psychological
#27 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > New Adult & College

And book two is ranking: 25,934

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riffle told me that yesterday's promo only had 35 clicks with them, so they are putting me in their Friday newsletter under New Adult (instead of Romance-- I hadn't seen their new Adult category when I signed up last month)

Anyways, thats pretty good customer service!

·
Registered
788 Posts
AYClaudy said:
Riffle told me that yesterday's promo only had 35 clicks with them, so they are putting me in their Friday newsletter under New Adult (instead of Romance-- I hadn't seen their new Adult category when I signed up last month)

Anyways, thats pretty good customer service!
Wow, that's awesome!! I feel like your covers would really appeal to the NA audience more than romance so that sounds like a great opportunity :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Julz said:
Wow, that's awesome!! I feel like your covers would really appeal to the NA audience more than romance so that sounds like a great opportunity :)
I think so too. I usually promote it as New Adult Novel, so I'm not sure how I missed that category when signing up. But either way I'm glad they will run it again!

G

·
good promotion.

Results on day you had BookSends and day you had ENT are both very good.

Can you track what results the RaffleCopter promotion gets you?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ireaderreview said:
good promotion.

Results on day you had BookSends and day you had ENT are both very good.

Can you track what results the RaffleCopter promotion gets you?
I can't track sales the rafflecopter might get indirectly, but I can see who's signed up for mailing list, tweeted, or fanned on Facebook. Raffelcopter gives a nice excel sheet with all the participants and what they completed. There's been about 25 people that completed the entries. http://gvwy.io/qs26cqo -- So this is more about exposure and building a mailing list.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As predicted,  Book 1's rank is slipping now- but it's on a slow decline (incline, whichever)!      #1,565 Paid in Kindle Store

BUT Book 2 is at it's high:  #14,794 Paid in Kindle Store  ;D

Yesterday was the first day that the sales from book 1 didn't completely cover the add, but that because Bargain Booksy is pricey ($50).  Although the addition of presales and borrows did cover the day's cost- but that may not be attributed to them, but previous days adds.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated with yesterdays sales and my ranking is still slipping slowly (as to be expected)

Outside the ropes (book one) #2,233 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#16 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Action & Adventure
#29 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Psychological
#49 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Sports

Inside Danger (book 2) #18,895 Paid in Kindle Store

But the confusing part is Inside Danger went live this morning and while pre sales report claims 183 units sold (net cancelations), the sales graph only shows 127 yesterday and 47 today.... so does that mean that their credit cards were just delayed so they posted over two days (and maybe the rest will come through later)? I'm just confused because my first book had all pre orders posted on the initial dot for sales, but granted there were only a few.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
AYClaudy said:
But the confusing part is Inside Danger went live this morning and while pre sales report claims 183 units sold (net cancelations), the sales graph only shows 127 yesterday and 47 today.... so does that mean that their credit cards were just delayed so they posted over two days (and maybe the rest will come through later)? I'm just confused because my first book had all pre orders posted on the initial dot for sales, but granted there were only a few.
The book goes out to pre-order customers the instant the clock ticks over to midnight on release day in their time zone. So, depending on where you live, you can see pre-orders register on the sales graph the day before release day (in Australia, for instance), the day of release (your own time zone) and the day after release (Hawaii, for instance). Or maybe it's relative to Amazon-time (Seattle), not sure. But they don't all go through on the actual release day.

Then Amazon bills the customer for the download, so there may be delays before they show up on the month-to-date report, because of credit card issues.

Congrats on getting so many pre-orders, by the way. That book is off to a great start. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PaulineMRoss said:
The book goes out to pre-order customers the instant the clock ticks over to midnight on release day in their time zone. So, depending on where you live, you can see pre-orders register on the sales graph the day before release day (in Australia, for instance), the day of release (your own time zone) and the day after release (Hawaii, for instance). Or maybe it's relative to Amazon-time (Seattle), not sure. But they don't all go through on the actual release day.

Then Amazon bills the customer for the download, so there may be delays before they show up on the month-to-date report, because of credit card issues.

Congrats on getting so many pre-orders, by the way. That book is off to a great start. :D
Ah, okay that makes sense. I only just now reached my pre order number on my graph... but I assume some of those are actual sales instead of preorders... Oh well, I'm going to stop overthinking it and let the numbers do what they are going to do. And one thing I know for certain is many are reading from KU today, makes feel good to think they were waiting for the release and jumped on reading the first day- with 28 KU reads just for Inside Danger, it's my biggest KU day!

I'll keep with schedule and post today's results tomorrow morning but so far Genre pulse gave a nice boost- the link he sent me shows 238 clicks ( I'm at 52 sales and was only at 16 prior to the email.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday was my best day ever for borrows, I think that can be attributed to earlier ads exposure and higher ranking.

And my ranking climbed a little YAY!  #1,816 Paid in Kindle Store

Book 2 is up there now too - #3,034 Paid in Kindle Store

And even book 3 has jumped in the rankings!!#58,730 Paid in Kindle Store

Can't say it enough, but I'm very pleased with this promo. I only hope some of it sticks after!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
AYClaudy said:
Yesterday was my best day ever for borrows, I think that can be attributed to earlier ads exposure and higher ranking.
And my ranking climbed a little YAY! #1,816 Paid in Kindle Store
Book 2 is up there now too - #3,034 Paid in Kindle Store
And even book 3 has jumped in the rankings!!#58,730 Paid in Kindle Store
Can't say it enough, but I'm very pleased with this promo. I only hope some of it sticks after!
Terrific results! But... there are only 2 books in your sig???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts