Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted a blog article about 99 cent Kindle books, telling the results of my two-month sale (selling over 3000 books so far) and discussing the pros and cons of authors experimenting with a 99 cent price tag - how on one hand, it could provide a boost to sales and get your books out there, but on the other hand, it can devalue the book and get readers used to lower prices. I'm inviting authors and readers to come by and share their views and experiences on this controversial topic. The post is at [URL=http://stacyjuba]http://stacyjuba.com/blog/2011/05/26/kindle-pricing-strategies-what-do-you-think-about-99-cent-price-tags/[/url] Hope to see you there and find out what pricing strategies other authors have been doing lately.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Lisa! I am going to get Spouse Hunting from Smashwords for my Sony. I just bookmarked it as I have a few other things to download from there this weekend.

·
Registered
217 Posts
stacyjuba said:
I just posted a blog article about 99 cent Kindle books, telling the results of my two-month sale (selling over 3000 books so far) and discussing the pros and cons of authors experimenting with a 99 cent price tag - how on one hand, it could provide a boost to sales and get your books out there, but on the other hand, it can devalue the book and get readers used to lower prices. I'm inviting authors and readers to come by and share their views and experiences on this controversial topic. The post is at [URL=http://stacyjuba]http://stacyjuba.com/blog/2011/05/26/kindle-pricing-strategies-what-do-you-think-about-99-cent-price-tags/[/url] Hope to see you there and find out what pricing strategies other authors have been doing lately.
I am curious: did you do any promotionals for your book? If so, what?

As to the question at hand, I think the .99 cent price is a good way to go over all. It allows writers to avoid having to fluff up their books just to reach minimum word limit, and I find that fluffing a book is, well, like stuffing anything else: it's good to a point, and then it's overkill and all you can taste is the extra sauce. So the .99 cent book allows for authors to self-publish and perhaps sell novellas and even short stories outside of an anthology. Sometimes, people want to just read one story, not fifteen of them, by the same author, and I think authors should have the right to sell individual stories.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do a ton of promotion. I do a lot of blogging and blog interviews, I'm on Twitter and Goodreads, and since my books have a romance subplot, I've recently become active on sites such as Coffeetime Romance and on various Yahoo groups that allow romance-related promos and excerpts. I'm also a member of Sisters in Crime. I frequently email reviewers and book bloggers asking if they are interested in an ebook version for possible review and I participate on the Amazon customer forums. All of that has helped and I've been selling much better on Kindle in 2011 than I did in the summer and fall of 2010 when the books first came out on Kindle, but the 99 cent sale helped to create some buzz. Up until now, I had never sold a thousand in a month. The books were also featured on Daily Cheap Reads and Pixel of Ink, and one of the 99 cent sales was mentioned on Kindle Nation Daily. Sometimes I wonder when authors have time to write with all the marketing! 

·
Registered
217 Posts
stacyjuba said:
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do a ton of promotion. I do a lot of blogging and blog interviews, I'm on Twitter and Goodreads, and since my books have a romance subplot, I've recently become active on sites such as Coffeetime Romance and on various Yahoo groups that allow romance-related promos and excerpts. I'm also a member of Sisters in Crime. I frequently email reviewers and book bloggers asking if they are interested in an ebook version for possible review and I participate on the Amazon customer forums. All of that has helped and I've been selling much better on Kindle in 2011 than I did in the summer and fall of 2010 when the books first came out on Kindle, but the 99 cent sale helped to create some buzz. Up until now, I had never sold a thousand in a month. The books were also featured on Daily Cheap Reads and Pixel of Ink, and one of the 99 cent sales was mentioned on Kindle Nation Daily. Sometimes I wonder when authors have time to write with all the marketing!
How does one become featured on Daily Cheap Reads or Pixel of Ink, or is it just whenever they get around to it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Mel!

Re. Daily Cheap Reads, I sent them an email through their web site some time ago, suggesting my books. If they are interested, they will email you back with a date, but it could be a few months later.  Pixel of Ink seems to choose some books randomly that they come across, or you can also pay for an ad. Being featured on each site led to tons of downloads. They both seem to have large audiences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts