Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 15th, 2012 there was a thread lamenting the lack of discoverability and diversity in the Amazon LGBTQI fiction category. First complaint, there are only two choices: Gay or Lesbian. Second, there are no additional subcategories for Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, and the like. Third, for better or worse the category is over saturated with erotica, which isn't entirely a bad thing unless you aren't writing erotica.

With the permission of our wonderfully fabulous moderators, Betsy and Ann, we present this thread for promoting your LGBTQI Fiction.

This thread is for non-erotica titles only. Your story can have sex in it, but it can't be erotica. For example, if your story is titled "My First Mistress: Lesbian Pony Girl Adventures" Or "A Bear and a Bed: Otter Sex Seven," while these titles maybe hot (though proably not the way they're written here), they're most likely not appropriate for this thread. Also, if you market the story as erotica (cover, category, etc.) then it's also out.

That being said, the rule of thumb for defining erotica is that sex is central to the plot of the story and to the development of the character. If we enforced that rule, many wonderful LGBTQI stories would be excluded so please use your better judgment when posting here.

Also, if you've read a work that you think should be include it here, do a write up and post it.

Finally, when promoting your story in this thread please state the genre(s) of the story, i.e. Literary, Science Fiction, Thriller, etc.

Here's my example below, but feel free to create a better promo.

The Space Within These Lines Is Not Dedicated: A Novelette
Genre: Literary, Fantasy, Romance

Lucy is having a bad day at work and to top it off a cicada named Lenny just told her she has three days to live. Thus begins a surreal journey of self-discovery, where animals talk, bears play polka, and spiders tango. Over the course of three days Lucy must care for her alcoholic mother, come to terms with the loss of her father, and confront her feelings for her best friend Faye, all while trying to understand what her "potential" is and why a cicada wants it before she dies.

Shelly's LGBT Book Review Blog calls it, "entertaining.... Cox is a great storyteller.... This is good stuff, all the way around!"

Frank Rogaczewski, author of The Fate of Humanity in Verse, says, "The Space Within These Lines Is Not Dedicated is a fantasy with a radically inclusive vision."

For fans of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, Haruki Murakami, The Alligator Report, and TV series like Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies. The Space Within These Lines Is Not Dedicated is the second in the collection The Space Within These Lines, a series of romantic, magical realist, fantasy, and science fiction stories exploring memory and loss in an effort to show that which connects all people, the power of love.

Thanks! Post away!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Claude lives amidst the squalor, the excitement, and the Catholic fervor of Renaissance France. But luck has ran out for the happy-go-lucky gay prostitute. Creditors hound him for debts unpaid. His lovelorn master is threatening to kick him out. And then he runs afoul of a braggart, Guy Sewell ... Claude's luck is not just rotten. It has downright signed him over to the Devil. Somehow Claude must escape the wily beast.

This is a serial novel is 16,000 words, which makes about 60 pages of reading. Sign up for my mailing list for news of updates and free giveaways.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting!  ;D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, bmcox (and to the moderators for giving permission).

All my books feature lesbian main characters and don't contain any graphic sexual content.

The Rymellan Series: A science fiction series about two lesbians who live in a strict society that selects mates for its citizens. The first story in the series is available for free at Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/176990

The Salbine Sisters: A fantasy about a religious order of powerful lesbian mages.

Threaded Through Time: A romantic fantasy about two time-crossed couples (one straight, one lesbian). Also a coming out story.

The Atheist: A contemporary fantasy/thriller about an atheist who has to join forces with a religious group to clear her name of murder.

All my books are available at Amazon (links in my signature), kobo, the Apple iBookstore, and Smashwords.

To find out more about me and my upcoming releases, visit my website at http://www.sarahettritch.com.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'll put my book into the arena :)

The Chosen
M/M Fantasy romance

Love or duty - which would you choose?

Prince Severin has been brought up to put duty before all else. Now, his duty is to marry and produce an heir. He has his choice of princesses. Unfortunately, his passion is for princes.

Havyn has been a slave all his life. When his powers are discovered, he finds himself purchased and freed by a Prince and apprenticed to the royal wizard, Ildar. His duty is to stay chaste to keep his powers strong. Unfortunately, his passion is for Severin.

With kingdoms at war, the throne hanging in the balance, and magic in the air, can the two men find happiness together, or is duty more important than love?

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.

I have a lesbian western short called Outlaw Love.

Once Lola Laverne was the toast of Europe, singer, dancer and mistress to kings and millionaires. But those days are long over, and now Lola is rotting in a cell in Silver Dollar City, a mining town in the Old West, sentenced to hang for killing the man who tried to rape her. Men have always been Lola's downfall. But could this really be the end for Lola Laverne? Will she perform her last dance at the end of the hangman's rope? Or does fate have other ideas for Lola? And will she finally realize the true nature of her desires?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting, Cora.  :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have an LGBTQI book or a book with LGBTQI characters please feel free to add it to this thread. Thanks.  :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My new short Sci-Fi love story is out, La Chanson de l'Observation.

Node AR1x40 lives his life on Earth as human Javier Flores, observing and reporting on human behavior as part of The Commonality's sociological study. When he meets Theo Zedek, a pastry chef and owner of the La Chanson Cafe, Node AR1x40 violates the main parameter of the experiment-he falls in love. And their love may ruin far more than his career.

Told in the style of a scientific research paper, La Chanson de l'Observation is the third in The Space Within These Lines Collection of romantic magical realist, fantasy, and science fiction stories exploring memory and loss in an effort to show that which connects all people, the power of love.

It was also recently reviewed on Shelly's LGBT Book Review Blog at Shellysbookstore.com. She said, "If you're a sci-fi fan, this is good stuff." "[It's] written in the format of a scientific research paper.... a unique format to use to tell a short story and again, as before, Cox tells it well." "Sheldon Cooper fans rejoice; you're going to love this one!"

reminder. . .consecutive posts by the same person should not be less than 7 days apart, your last two are only 6; you may next post on the 27th :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a bump to say please take advantage of this thread to promote your LGBTQI work. Thanks!  :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The first book in my lesbian science fiction series is available for 75% off at Smashwords.

Girlfriends since their teens, Lesley and Mo can't imagine life without each other. But they live on the planet Rymel, in a strict society that selects life-mates for its citizens and executes those who violate their life-bonds. Will they do what their society expects of them, or will they sacrifice their lives for their love?

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8355

Use coupon code SSW75 at checkout (expires July 31).

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Look Away Silence

by Edward C. Patterson

Martin Powers wanted an ironing board for Christmas. Instead, he got . . . Matthew Kieler, a non-returnable gift, but a gift that kept on giving. Chance encounters are sometimes the ones that most change our lives. He sold Matt a tie, but got more in the bargain - more than most people would want and more than anyone deserved. Although these lovers may not have had the pink American dream, they had it better than most, even as they faced a crisis that would change us all.

Look Away Silence is a romance set in the time of AIDS, when ignorance could spell trouble and often did. It encompasses the author's experiences in volunteer community service and personal friendships during a tragic period in American history. The novel is dedicated to the Hyacinth AIDS Foundation, the NAMES Project and to the author's own fallen angels. "Mothers, do not shun your children, because you never know how long you have to revel in them."

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My mainstream/litfic novel Anomaly has a transgender main character. I've found it very difficult to categorize because of it.

Relapse isn't just for addicts.

J doesn't need rehab. He's well clean of the hard stuff, the soft stuff, and the things in between that helped him bury all the doubts that plague him. That was before the tormented drug addict from next door threatens to set J on a renewed path of self-destruction.

A dark and gritty tale for those who enjoy their contemporary fiction brooding, Anomaly is set amidst the drama of small town Canada where the seamy world of substance abuse and sexuality is a surprising backdrop for self discovery.

When you barely understand yourself, relapse becomes more than just a fight for sobriety.

http://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-novel-resilience-self-acceptance/dp/B004C0542S/

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
FREE Today & Tomorrow August 15th & 16th at Amazon
Bobby's Trace
by
Edward C. Patterson

Bobby's Eyes are Watching - Forever Watching

Do ghosts mourn the living? Perry Chaplin is in mourning for his life partner, Bobby - a time of stress, notwithstanding. The more he drifts, the more he becomes unhinged until he's one room short of a rubber one. "Get a grip, Perry." So he takes his chances on a blind date, which further plunges him along the nightmare highway. He gets an unsought lesson in life-after-death that turns his bereavement into a horrific adventure. Come peek through Perry Chaplin's mysterious window. See what there is to see. Enter Our Lady of Perpetual Grace, where the holy water boils and the confessionals whisper. What lurks in the rectory's attic? What lies beneath the surface of life and death? What comes in Bobby's - in Bobby's trace? Do ghosts mourn the living? Perry Chaplin knows. Will you?
122 pages

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
FREE Today & Tomorrow August 19th and 20th at Amazon
Surviving an American Gulag
by
Edward C. Patterson

15 5-stars out of 17 reviews

Welcome to Ft. Gordon, Ga - the Special Training Unit. It's 1967, the height of the Vietnam War and Private Winslow Gibbs has been drafted. He's two-hundred and seventy pounds and a bundle of nerves. He also has issues of a different nature, but in these days before the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, these are dealt with in the American Gulag, the Army's answer to the problem. What they don't count on are the ones like Private Gibbs, who want to survive it and serve.

Based on the author's own experiences, Surviving an American Gulag is a story that the military would prefer remain a footnote. However, it is a defining moment and should not be lost to posterity.
230 pages

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
No Irish Need Apply
by
Edward C. Patterson

Teens Do the Darndest Things

Kevin Borden has a secret, and that secret is about to shake the world around him - a tame and suburban world ruled by his widow mother, Sarah and peppered by his study-mate, Louis. Teenagers sometimes do the darndest things, but in Kevin and Louis' case, it's a stroke of wisdom wrapped in fool's gold. In a time not so long ago, in the days of JIM CROW and NO IRISH NEED APPLY signage, the world made it clear to those regarded as the fringe. "Stay away." To those who know no better - or perhaps know best, such lines are only meant to be crossed, or why else would they be drawn.

No Irish Need Apply is dedicated to PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), an organization that has guided many youth across that line into the loving arms of those listening to their hearts; those shattering those hateful Jim Crow signs. Come visit with the Bordens and the Lonnegans as they take that journey across the line.
126 pages

The Book of the Month for June 2009 for the Diversity Reading Group at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
FREE Today and Tomorrow - August 27th and 28th at Amazon
Cutting the Cheese
by
Edward C. Patterson

Come Party with the Boyz!

Luke Oliver has just come out of the closet and confronts a brave new world - a meeting of the Gay and Lesbian Activist Association of New Birch and Sipsboro (GLAABS) - your run of the mill, gay political caucus. Run of the Mill? . . . my @$$. Stepping across the threshold of the Otterson estate exposes Luke to horny and hilarious shenanigans that give the Boys in the Band a run for its money. Who wants whom? Who has whom? Who will win Luke's . . . let's say, attentions?

A self-effacing, comic romp through the Gay hierarchy, Cutting the Cheese is a reality check from the author's provocative coming out experience in a drizzled-pink world; an outrageous ride down the funny bone. Repeat riding is encouraged. It's every one for themself in New Birch's Gay Ghetto. To Hell with Robert's Rules of Order.

Edward C. Patterson

1 - 20 of 56 Posts