Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about viral marketing and such, and I'm drawing some conclusions.  Nobody says "Hey Bob, you gotta read this psychological thriller, it's awesome!".  Lol, well maybe they do, but not enough.  It's more like "Hey Bob, look at the monkey in this video!".  ::)

Basically, funny gets shared.  Now aside from being a creative writer, I'm a creative..."programmer" for lack of a better word.  I'm capable of creating interesting web gadgets and such.  And I've got a warped sense of humor.  So if I tried, I could create a fairly entertaining page on my website, which would hopefully spread virally and draw lots of attention to my work.

Now here's the thing: Would you take my work seriously if I did that?  Could you picture Stephen King with a dancing monkey or something on his website?  I'm thinking no. 

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm a horror writer. What I do, is I have a Google+ page, and I post all sorts of hilarious stuff, which hopefully garners profile views. Occasionally I mention my book. (I also post in the different horror communities there, but not about my writing - I discuss horror related media or philosophies.) I assume this strategy of posting lol-worthy posts would work if you had an audience to your website, but it seems easier to me to just get an audience at a social media site - where the people already are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.