Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a section on my website that I call my library. This promotes all the SF books that I have read (it needs updating for the last 6 months) to other people who come to my site looking at my own books. Readers who like my books, might like the books I like, so they can browse and go directly to Amazon and purchase anything they see (yes, there is an affiliate link). I haven't had much time to sort out the layout, the reviews and the fields where e.g. price doesn't display, but what do you think - good idea?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It sounds like a great idea in principle. It's always good to build positive karma with fellow authors. You might make a few quid off the affiliate link, you never know, and in general I think people like to see a bit more than just an author banging on about their own books, even on their own website. Posting details of stuff you've been reading gives potential readers a bit more of a glimpse of you. More than other selling other people's books, it might actually give them an idea how your tastes align with theirs so they can judge whether they'd be likely to enjoy your stuff.

And then you can social media new reviews and stuff, which means you're tweeting stuff which isn't sales message, which always helps.

I can't see a downside, to be honest! I did an "online launch" for my short story collection a couple of weeks ago and it was noticeable that participation increased when I started, more or less on a whim, posting links to friends' new books. It also somehow got me an "also bought" on Sarah Pinborough's new release page, which probably didn't help sell any more books but was brilliant to see!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think it's great and I was going to do the same on my site when we're published. Was going to ask some of the folks here if anyone wants to cross promote even.
I'll put your stuff up and you put mine up. That sort of thing.

That said, as a reader, I also love the idea. I wish my favorite authors would do that. I'd like to see what they read.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
It's not a bad idea, but it's also one of those that I'm not sure I'd ever get to either on my to-do list.

I do, however, promote other authors via my FB page, which seems to have a pretty decent impact.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just some ideas:

Throwing in on a combo book with your permafrees. Combine yours and another writer's. Makes for an extra 'freebie' floating around. (Keeps things simple, no need to split a profit or anything.)
Putting another first chapter to another author's book in the back of yours as a suggestion.
Announcing a permafree book in your newsletter, as a suggested read.

I go a lot on permafree, because I use it, but you could do the same with any book. I've seen a lot of Maureen Johnson/John Green and others do a collaboration on books. It's happening more and more. It's their way of swapping readers.

We're not exactly in competition. Well, there's a small bit of it. But readers will often consume books in less than a couple of hours, and I don't know about you all, but I can't write a book in two hours. So there's no harm in filling the gap with suggestions to them on what to read.

I do often get emails about my favorite books, or if there are any other books out there like mine. (Or in my case, I get a lot of anime questions about what I like to watch, because I talk about it a lot.)

But as someone mentioned, you can always throw out your affiliate link when you do, so you'll gain a few bucks from that, on top of the possible 'ad swap' when the other author agrees to put your work in their books. There's plenty of good reasons to do it.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I do, however, promote other authors via my FB page, which seems to have a pretty decent impact.
I promote other authors via FB, and my Tumblr. It does seem to help them out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There are a lot of different good ways to do it, but we ought all do something to help other authors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts